The Long Road Back From Illness/Injury

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Gary Dakin
Stop posting and start rowing!

The Long Road Back From Illness/Injury

Post by Gary Dakin »

I thought it might be worth sharing with other FS members, the particular problems (physical/psychological or otherwise) that people have encountered whilst trying to recover the same level of fitness, strength and competitive spirit as was the case prior to whatever the problem was.
The nature of this sport, or any other endurance sport, is that injuries are frequent and varied. Add to this the human propensity to get "ill" and it becomes a real test of the mind as well as the body, to get back to some level of competence that an individual will be happy with.
Clearly the length and depth of any absence makes recovery time very varied, but sharing what "we" may have done because of our experience and knowledge, or because we are restricted now due to the problem, would be useful.
From reading the forum blogs, I know that many FS members out there have had some very serious stuff to deal with. I won't quote names. What I will say, is that it is very inspirational to read about those people who quietly get on with it, and the other members just might learn something should they encounter their own problems later on. Let's hope they don't, but statistics say they will.

OK,
I will kick off briefly by saying that in Jan 2011, I was diagnosed with Myeloma, which is a cancer of the bone marrow. A bi-product of this was a collapsed vertebrae at T12 (centre of the spine). In summary, I received drugs (chemo etc) and a stem cell transplant and have been on maintenance since September 2011. My vertebrae was "fixed" as far as possible in November 2011.
I am restricted in my weight training in so far as I cannot either squat or deadlift now (both were staple exercises for me and the reason I had power). I can however do other leg exercises, and have recently leg pressed 500kg for reps, so I know the power is there.
My main problems are threefold:
1. I have had to adapt my rowing style to try to get more out of each stroke. Longer distances are taking a while
2. The drug I still take 3 weeks out of 4 affects my blood count and in particular my ability to get oxygen to my muscles
3. I am having great difficulty coming to terms with the physical pain of rowing that I know I used to seek as a matter of course

I am at about 90 - 92% of PB ( most set in 2008) for all distances from 100m to 10K . I know I am 5 years older now, so I make adjustment for this fact, so realistically I would accept getting over 95% as achievable.

Anyway, In my case, I have found that cutting my rowing down to about 20K a week and reverting back to my weights (mainly circuits) with some indoor cycling is gradually enabling me to get more confident in myself and my ability to once again be competitive at this sport. It is a long road back, but I will get there eventually. I would like to row the Crash B's which I have never done, and that is my incentive.

I would love to read of other FS' members approaches to their forced absences, and how they felt/feel about recovery and how to handle it.

cheers
Gary

PS Sorry to waffle! :)
Age : 57 Height: my legs reach the ground..good enough weight: hovering in the 80 - 82kg region
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: The Long Road Back From Illness/Injury

Post by Grobi »

Hi Gary,

first of all, good to see you posting again! I still remember meeting you in Grimsby back in 2009 and had wondered where and why you had disappeared. Now I know and the reason behind it is a shock (for me).

I can't really answer your question as my reasons for being absent occasionally are nothing compared to yours. But I would like to express how delighted I am to see you back with a hopefully conquered illness. I wish you the best of luck for your future way on the road of discovery and that you will get to Boston some day (it's a great experience!).

All the best
Peter
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Huw Thomas
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Huw Thomas »

Good luck with the ongoing rehab - you seem to have done very well to progress as far as you have, and CRASH Bs is a great target - whatever time you do.

Stick with the cross training - bike is great for aereobic fitness and the power stuff will come from leg weights and rowing.
The WP l4 sessions may be worth a go for "power" and "form" at lower rate.

Wishing you all the best

Huw
Aged 61, 182 cm 80 kg.
Ut2 130-137 (1:59+) ut1 138-151 (1:53+) AT 152-161 (1:48+) TR 162-171 (1:38+) AN 172+ (<1:38)
billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

Great recovery so far Gary and Boston is a good target - one which I set myself in my recovery.
(of which there have been several).

Before I took up rowing, I had a quadruple heart bypass (4xCABG). Just prior to that, I considered my self to be fairly fit and had been operating in the jungle in NE India. So it was a fairly nasty shock to have a couple of heart attacks. Post-op, I was told by the surgeon that I would find it impossible to break any of the plumbing that he had installed. I set out to prove him wrong and thus far have (happily) failed. During this period of "make or break" I took up indoor rowing as something to do on the offshore rigs rather than running around the flight deck and soon became addicted to this new fitness activity. My fitness and endurance improved rapidly from just getting on the erg and rowing aimlessly it seems. I had no idea about Virtual Rowing Clubs, Forums, Free Spirits. Having joined Free Spirits, I had a golden period of PB's and even competition success. In my 60"s now, this was something to hold on to and savour.

Then, shock - horror, I was diagnosed with prostate cancer. You will know that the revelation of any type of cancer is like being hit metaphorically very hard with a baseball bat. I went through the phases of diagnosis and treatment culminating in the removal in September 2010. I had already entered the BIRC in Birmingham and determined not to waste the entry fee was back on the rower two weeks post op. I was only paddling gently but it gave me the start that I needed and I duly appeared at BIRC and finished last in my heat in about 8:40 compared with a PB that year of 7:07.

In the next twelve months, I set new age group BR's at 500m Mile and 2000m which I still hold. All this came crashing down around me again last year (just at the time I was about to go to the Crash B's) when I was told that my PSA levels were rising and I needed hormone and radio therapy treatment. My performance went rapidly downhill during the hormone injection period and took 3-4 months to clear the system and only now have I started to regain some of my previous form. I realise that age is creeping up on me and soon to be 67, I can't hope to emulate my past successes but I'll keep on trying.

What I've always had during all these ups and downs is a goal of some competition and I used the Wolverine Plan to get there. The important thing in getting fit is the means though not the end in my view. One begets the other. :D

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

billwright wrote:I was told by the surgeon that I would find it impossible to break any of the plumbing that he had installed. I set out to prove him wrong
:shock:
billwright wrote:was back on the rower two weeks post op.
I came back like that after my snip and paid for it with testicles the size of melons :(
billwright wrote:I can't hope to emulate my past successes but I'll keep on trying.
You are an inspiration Bill! As is Gary. It puts my "gammy leg" (long term haemotoma after self inflicted plummet off ladder) in to stark perspective.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Great to hear from you again Gary and I am really glad that you are getting back to your best. :)

I had no idea that you were going through half of that stuff. It has been an absolute pleasure meeting you and rowing along side you and I regard you as one of the most inspirational people I know. :)

As for myself I have always been competitive through my rugby while growing up and when I blew out my calf muscle I was lost for something to do until I found the Free Spirits with like minded nutters who liked to train just as hard and sometimes harder. :fsgrin: I peaked about 2 years ago and then my form started to fall off and fell out of love with the erg. It was nothing as big as what happened to Bill or Gary but just stress from my job. I was under threat of loosing my job while my wife was training to be a nurse.(one income family) But all that has changed (My wife is a District Nurse know and my job seems secure), and I am on my way back up and with the right training I WILL be better than I was. :D
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Gary Dakin

Post by Gary Dakin »

Thankyou guys, you are too kind.
Soooooo many very kind people in this team, as has been proved many times.

Things happen in our lives that put a spanner in the works of all of our plans. Dealing with them in the best way we can and not stopping to think "why me?" teaches us a lot about ourselves. It is not just about being ill or getting injured. It could be a host of other stuff, such as what Jason describes above.

Personally, I never stop to think why has this happened and woe is me and is it going to come back. The fact is there is no cure, it will be with me forever, so I just have to get on with it and not complain.

The true inspirations in this sport are not the Bentons and Flemings of this world, who do amazing things on a rower, but the Bills and Huws and others in the FS team, who get on with it.

I raised this issue so that people could share what happened, the repercussions (physical/mental), then how they dealt with it (the frustrations, the fears and the barriers), so that we collectively could help others overcome what are potentially devastating setbacks. It is not just about going through the motions of the daily training. It is more than that.

At the end of the day the priority is to be healthy and "fit". Being able to compete is a privilege afforded to us. If I never compete again, I will not complain because it isn't that important.

Many thanks to those who have responded thusfar. I was unsure whether to raise what is actually the first topic I have ever started on this forum.
I hope it proves useful as a platform going forward.

cheers
Gary
Age : 57 Height: my legs reach the ground..good enough weight: hovering in the 80 - 82kg region
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Gary, thanks for starting the thread, an interesting read.
I'm in the same boat as most of us it seems, unaware of the details of your health issues.
Yourself and Bill, and I hope Chirs won't mind me saying Beryl, are a true inspiration.
Huw & Jason have shown that they are real fighters.
The attitudes could not be more positive and admirable.
Perhaps there is something in the fact that we are all here in the first place, past our theoretical athletic best, striving to maintain a level of fitness that points to a certain character trait.

Anyway, good luck with the continued recovery to yourself and Bill. See you in Boston :D
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

As distinct from most of you, I did know of Gary's illness, as he is my coach and buddy.

However I did not feel it right to mention it until Gary did himself and as he has done most eloquently here.

If sharing this can help others come to turns with what is involved in exercising whatever they have been through, and I know there are countless others out there like Steve Wiser for example who row though they have been through the same as Bill with a Quadruple by-pass, then its got to be a good thing.

There is a way back from illness/injury as all the above have shown and thanks to Gary for raising this thread.

The great replies and comments remind me of what attracted me to this great club in the first place, the inclusiveness and support, row on my friends :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Mike Channin
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Well done to Gary and Bill, and all the best with your continuing battles and recovery. Same also for Huw, Paul V. and anyone else who's suffered injuries and illness. You are all inspirational.

Thomas - I thought you always had balls the size of melons. Maybe its just the way you walk....
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Gary/Bill - many thanks to both of you for your openess in posting on this forum and I wish you both the very best for your continued recoveries.
pb times
billwright
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

Thanks Stan and all the other Free Spirits who have commented. It would be shameful of me not to mention the support that I received from the Free Spirits membership during my own difficulties. The support on the open forum and via email and PM was of immeasurable assistance in getting motivated and being successful in returning to erging.

I know that by the nature of the internet "friends" are difficult to quantify but I reckon that I have made some true friends within Free Spirits. So thanks for that. ^O^

I also know via the PM facility that there are some amongst our membership who are having difficulties with personal and relative's illnesses. To those folk, I know that you have the support of the membership and I wish you the best through your difficulties. Let's hope that your return is not too far away.

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Gary Dakin

Post by Gary Dakin »

I echo Bill's comments and thank everyone for their thoughts and good wishes.
I would particularly single out Alan who has been a tower of strength.
However, I did not raise this issue in order to focus attention on me. I raised it because there are many FS people out there who have already experienced and dealt with serious issues of health, injury, family and all sorts of other problems that have put them in the position of subsequently struggling with their training. Sharing their experiences and how they overcame them would be invaluable for those people who have yet to be placed in any of these situations.

FS members have always reacted very sensitively to the problems of other members when they have been shared in the past, but I guess this thread is less about the emotional side and more about the practical issues that we face in trying to get back to fitness or competition.

FS you are the best of the best......

G
catchowder2
Warming up

Post by catchowder2 »

Gary Dakin wrote: My main problems are threefold:
1. I have had to adapt my rowing style to try to get more out of each stroke. Longer distances are taking a while
2. The drug I still take 3 weeks out of 4 affects my blood count and in particular my ability to get oxygen to my muscles
3. I am having great difficulty coming to terms with the physical pain of rowing that I know I used to seek as a matter of course

It is a long road back, but I will get there eventually. I would like to row the Crash B's which I have never done, and that is my incentive.

I would love to read of other FS' members approaches to their forced absences, and how they felt/feel about recovery and how to handle it.

PS Sorry to waffle! :)
mmmm waaaaaaffllleeessss

So, I'm new here and to rowing, but not to endurance, long-term injuries, or even online communities. December 2011 I was 6 weeks away from completing my first ultramarathon, 50 miles on foot through the woods. One Sunday I embarked on a 30 mile easy-paced long run, long slow runs were my favorite. About 15 miles in I suddenly felt like someone stabbed me in the glute; I couldn't tell if it was my mind playing tricks, which often happens during endurance events, or if there was a serious problem. A few paces further told me that this pain was not in my head. I walked an additional 3-4 miles back to where I started, by that time my entire leg was on fire and I was working a serious limp. I massaged and stretched, and found nothing in particular broken.

Two weeks i did RICE. I stayed off it. But I still had shooting pain in my glute, and some in my calf. I couldn't walk, or sleep without pain. I went from 20 mile easy runs to difficulty walking across the living room. By mid-February 2012 I was nearly couch-ridden. I couldn't stand to eat a bowl of cereal, pooping was extremely painful, and I hoped to never ever have to ever sneeze because that was just unbearable.

I herniated my L5-S1; your very last vertebra. Two steroid injections and lots of PT later I still was maybe 30% functional. I was told I needed surgery; I opted to try chiropractic first.

Just over a year since it happened I can finally almost walk with a normal gait, I still can't do any weighted exercises, but have been able to get back on the elliptical and learn the rower. I'm told to put the idea of a 50 miler out of my head; I'll be lucky to run 10 miles if I ever do get to run again. In the meantime I'm hoping to row myself across the Pacific Ocean. CRASH-B looks like it would be amazing!

I've been angry, and depressed.
I've been elated, and patient.
I have not yet given up.

http://lifeisbumpy.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... -injuries/.
CatChowder 33 63" ~60kg
blog http://www.lifeisbumpy.wordpress.com
broken LD runner who's completed lots of half-marathons on my feet but not yet tried on a seat.
[Yes,I do compare everything to running/runners.I've done a lot of running gosh dern it.]
Gary Dakin

Post by Gary Dakin »

Hi Mr Catchowder2,
This is precisely why I raised this topic. You have already earned my respect by your incredible attitude to defeating this problem. You are clearly an amazing athlete regardless of what you achieve in future in rowing.
What you will find on the FS site, is a fantastic group of supportive people, who have a wide range of skills and advice to give you on how to approach rowing if you are new to it.

From my viewpoint, I have 40+ years experience of various sports from triathlons and marathons, to power lifting and have been indoor rowing for 11 years now. So anything you wish to ask me I would be happy to answer.

As you can gather, this team is full of competitive people, who are also extremely realistic and not always focused on competitions, but on just getting the best out of themselves. There are also many who themselves have been through traumatic experiences and come out the other side.

So enjoy this team, and please let me know how I can help

cheers and very good luck (take your time)
Gary
catchowder2
Warming up

Post by catchowder2 »

I've been lucky enough to have an awesome group of core friends and family who help me from imploding. Injuries like these suck in ways that only a fellow injured person seems to thoroughly understand.

Ms. btw :D

Below is a piece I created for a friend's blog that talks about surviving a long-term recovery. I wrote it shortly after learning that I wouldn't be 'back in the game' any time in the near future. http://barefoot-monologues.com/2012/04/ ... -recovery/

Your week used to consist of high mileage, complicated yoga, and explosive plyometrics. And then, cue the horror music, you became injured.

You were doing everything right – saw a Doctor, reduced your exercise load, and took the recommended rest days. A speedy recovery looked promising until the Doctor said those words all active people fear – It’s going to be awhile until you’re allowed to do that again. Now your injury requires long-term recovery and there’s no standard timetable dictating how long you’ll be off your game.

Here are a few tips for surviving your long-term recovery and hopefully avoid filling what seems like a prescription for insanity.

1. Accept your limitations

Don’t waste time comparing what seems like pre-injury awesomeness with post-injury mediocrity; there is no comparison. Your body is re-cov-er-ing. The pain, inflammation, and stiffness you feel is your body’s way of protecting itself from further injury. These symptoms will dissipate and you’ll be back to normal, eventually. Complaining about your temporary lack of awesomeness will not help you heal quicker; it will however drive friends and family away. Then, one day when you’re stuck on the couch no one will be nearby to grab a snack from the kitchen for you.

2. Don’t push it
Some days suck, some suck more. Hooray for brokenness, right? But since you’ve accepted the fact that your body is not performing at its peak you won’t freak out when the simplest act seems insurmountable. And you wouldn’t dream of pushing past your injury-imposed boundaries, like fighting to complete a scheduled long-run despite radiating pain that began at half mile. Save it for another day. Your attempt to ‘soldier on’ will not impress your significant other who probably already told you not to leave the house; it will not make you feel bad-ass on a bad day. It will, however, add more time to your recovery and likely require an additional doctor’s appointment.

3. Smile, damn it
Whomever first said that laughter is the best medicine was pretty smart because research has shown that it does release physical tension, decrease stress hormones, and release endorphins. And smiling is fun; it’s impossible to be angry or frustrated when you’re smiling. Go ahead, try. Laughing won’t miraculously cure what ails you, however it will help you survive those few moments you thought were hopeless. Find anything to make you smile. Really, anything.

4. Don’t fester
You’re not obligated to keep your discontent and pain bottled inside. Close friends and family understand that you’re miserable. After all, life kind of dealt you a nasty blow. Their sympathetic ear can lessen the magnitude of The Suck; and, voicing your fears, depression and pain helps others be of better assistance. Sharing these emotions isn’t a sign of weakness, and chances are pretty good that you aren’t the burden you feel like you are becoming. Releasing your emotions keeps you from snapping at people for no reason or exploding; on the other hand pent up emotions breed depression and often manifest themselves physically.

5. Use food for sustenance, not coping

All this free time is likely to leave you feeling bored, agitated, and plain ol’ stressed-out. Researchers have several theories about why, but suffice to say that it’s common to crave junk foods when you’re feeling stressed. These comfort foods tend to be high in calories, something you definitely don’t need an abundance of during your (temporary) less active lifestyle. Indulging in lots of pie may pass the time and bring you bliss, however, its sugar-high will be short-lived and you’ll eventually start tacking on a few extra pounds.
CatChowder 33 63" ~60kg
broken LD runner who's completed lots of half-marathons on my feet but not yet tried on a seat.
[Yes,I do compare everything to running/runners.I've done a lot of running gosh dern it.]
Paul Victory
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

First, I'd like to say to Gary, Bill and CatChowder that the problems you have had to deal with really put the relatively minor irritation of banjaxing my shoulder into perspective. Unfortunately, I've let my frustration destroy (most, but not all) my motivation and have become very unfit, put on loads of weight, etc. etc. Reading your stories makes me realise that I need to get a grip and pull my socks up.

I like CatChowder's advice, key points from which I've summarised below. I particularly need to pay attention to point 5. :oops: #-o

Paul V
catchowder2 wrote: Here are a few tips for surviving your long-term recovery and hopefully avoid filling what seems like a prescription for insanity.

1. Accept your limitations

Don’t waste time comparing what seems like pre-injury awesomeness with post-injury mediocrity; there is no comparison.

2. Don’t push it
Some days suck, some suck more.

3. Smile, damn it
Whomever first said that laughter is the best medicine was pretty smart because research has shown that it does release physical tension, decrease stress hormones, and release endorphins.

4. Don’t fester
You’re not obligated to keep your discontent and pain bottled inside.

5. Use food for sustenance, not coping
suffice to say that it’s common to crave junk foods when you’re feeling stressed.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
catchowder2
Warming up

Post by catchowder2 »

Those are the points I was working through at the time. :roll: hehehe
CatChowder 33 63" ~60kg
Gary Dakin

Post by Gary Dakin »

Paul,
Thank you for your comments.
This thread is for anyone who has had a problem resulting in them not being able to live up to their expectations post the issue (in whatever sport), plus how they dealt with it.
Everyone reacts differently regardless of severity, but it is amazing the infinite ways to recover and the experiences that can be shared to help others.
Although physical restrictions are more evident, frequently it is the mental side of recovery that is hardest.
Plus, we are all getting older, and so inevitably natural deterioration in performance occurs.

This is a very interesting subject and I hope more people contribute
G
catchowder2
Warming up

Post by catchowder2 »

Gary Dakin wrote:
This thread is for anyone who has had a problem resulting in them not being able to live up to their expectations post the issue <snip>
Although physical restrictions are more evident, frequently it is the mental side of recovery that is hardest.
<snip>
G
BINGO!

My philosophy is that there is no such thing as a minor injury if it interferes with the way you are accustomed to living your life.
CatChowder 33 63" ~60kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Gary/CatChowder

Thank you both for your encouraging comments. I can feel my mindset starting to change and I managed to drag myself out to the erg for another 5k+ tonight. I can see myself establishing a new habit if I can remain sensible about it and don't try to do too much or worry about how fast/slow I'm going.

I'm away at a conference tomorrow, but I'm going to bring my gear in case there's a gym in the hotel.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Paul Victory wrote:Gary/CatChowder

Thank you both for your encouraging comments. I can feel my mindset starting to change and I managed to drag myself out to the erg for another 5k+ tonight. I can see myself establishing a new habit if I can remain sensible about it and don't try to do too much or worry about how fast/slow I'm going.

I'm away at a conference tomorrow, but I'm going to bring my gear in case there's a gym in the hotel.
and stay away from the free cake & biscuits! :fswink:
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
catchowder2
Warming up

Post by catchowder2 »

Thank you both for your encouraging comments. I can feel my mindset starting to change and I managed to drag myself out to the erg for another 5k+ tonight. I can see myself establishing a new habit if I can remain sensible about it and don't try to do too much or worry about how fast/slow I'm

At your disposal for more arse kicks. =D>
CatChowder 33 63" ~60kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

catchowder2 wrote:

Thank you both for your encouraging comments. I can feel my mindset starting to change and I managed to drag myself out to the erg for another 5k+ tonight. I can see myself establishing a new habit if I can remain sensible about it and don't try to do too much or worry about how fast/slow I'm

At your disposal for more arse kicks. =D>
I managed to make it to the gym yesterday and decided to have my 2nd attempt at this month's CTC. Previous effort was just to see if I could keep going for 30 minutes, this time I wanted to do at least 7k.

Started off at around 2:05 pace and managed to keep going at slightly under 2:05 for around 10 minutes when the H/D demons started whispering at me. But I convinced myself to keep going at the same pace until I got to at least the half way mark. I really started to struggle around the 18 minutes mark, but at this stage I was well ahead of target for 7k, so I told myself to keep going, even if I needed to slow right down. Key thing was to finish as I knew I would be really annoyed with myself if I H/Ded at that stage and I also felt that I would be letting you down.

So I just kept plugging away and in the end, fell just short of 7,200. Pretty happy with that. Not so much the physical side, more the mental side. The key to making progress is developing mental toughness and this is something I've let slide lately. But no more - the mind is back in place and the body has no choice but to follow!
plummy

Post by plummy »

Good to hear Paul - 20% perspiration and 80% inspiration and all that applies here as much as anywhere. Finishing with 7200 rather than listening to the HD demons will help you enormously for your forthcoming return to fitness :D
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky