The Long Road Back From Illness/Injury

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: The Long Road Back From Illness/Injury

Post by Mike Channin »

I presume that by LSD, you're referring to Long Slow Distance, and not the brain-bending pharmaceutical chemical of the 60's. (I have no idea if _that_ LSD would help you erg, but it would probably help you to enjoy the trip ;-))
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
catchowder2
Warming up

Post by catchowder2 »

Mike Channin wrote:I presume that by LSD, you're referring to Long Slow Distance, and not the brain-bending pharmaceutical chemical of the 60's. (I have no idea if _that_ LSD would help you erg, but it would probably help you to enjoy the trip ;-))
:lol: x 100
CatChowder 33 63" ~60kg
blog http://www.lifeisbumpy.wordpress.com
broken LD runner who's completed lots of half-marathons on my feet but not yet tried on a seat.
[Yes,I do compare everything to running/runners.I've done a lot of running gosh dern it.]
Gary Dakin
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Gary Dakin »

The current challenge for teams rowing lots of metres has been an opportunity for me to change the emphasis of my rowing.
This has had a very positive effect on my confidence, to the extent that having been languishing around 92% of PB pace for anything from 100m sprints to 10K, I now find I am up at 94% of PB for a HM, of which I hadn't rowed one for 3.5 years up until 2 weeks ago.

Confidence is such a lot to do with it.

Even more I believe that the mental side of this sport exceeds the physical. In my own case I believe that physically I am capable now of rowing under 7mins for 2K, but mentally I am not ready.
Age : 57 Height: my legs reach the ground..good enough weight: hovering in the 80 - 82kg region
Yambo
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Yambo »

If the doc had said "You've got lung cancer" I wouldn't have been surprised, I've sucked in enough diesel fumes over the years from a life that revolved around road transport for a lot of it. But he didn't. He said "You've had a heart attack". That was in 2006 and 2 days after our furniture had left for Turkey. The following May I had an angiogram and they told me I needed at least a double by-pass or possibly a triple. The day before the first consultation my son and I climbed Helvellyn in the English Lake District. The surgeon was gobsmacked - the artery where I'd had the heart attack was 96% blocked over a 2 cms section.

I'd always kept fairly fit. I spent 23 years in the army and when I left I could still do the basic fitness test faster than the 18 year old's time limit. I'd packed up running a few years after leaving the army and I'd bought a rower, not a C2 but just something that I could use to work out on rather than the roads. It wasn't great and I probably could have worked harder but I was cycling a bit as well and my fitness was OK. A couple of years before I'd left the army a chap from the pensions office told a course I was on that 72% of guys that do the full 22 years don't get to 55, when the pension increases start. We had a party when I got there and 6 months later - bang.

So I had the op which went well and a bit later started physio. I asked if I could get a full stress test so that I would have a base line for cardio exercises and afterwards the doc advised me to work on a max HR of 150. I wasn't impressed but after coming to Turkey I started exercising regularly and improving my cardio vascular fitness. Sadly my wife was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2010 and we spent that year in the UK. The old rower was still in my son's house so I tried to get in some exercise when I could and my wife died Feb 2011.

Back in Turkey I decided it was time to get serious and I bought the C2 through the Turkish agent in Istanbul and I started putting some metres on it. Distance was no problem so I decided to do a marathon to try and raise money for the local (UK) hospice and timed it to happen when C2 had their annual marathon challenge in May 2012 and the weather wasn't too warm. 2012 was a really hot year here and I suffered a bit but the training metres had paid off and I came in in 3:18:32 - about 18 minutes faster than I'd run the London marathon 28 years before.

The exercise continues and this current season I've worked harder to increase my pace and I've set a few benchmark PBs for next season. I feel fit and well, I walk up in the hills here regularly, do a bit of sailing and row out in the Med during the summer months but only so I can get to the quiet snorkelling spots. A few people here (ex-pats mostly) think I'm a bit crazy doing as much exercise as I do but I couldn't live their lifestyle which seems to be mostly drinking beer and watching football. Don't get me wrong, I like a beer and Friday night is beer night, but only 3 or 4 and I'll work it off on Saturday.

The max heart rate thing? The 5k I did today showed an avg of 163 but it didn't go over 166. :) I've moved on.
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
billwright
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

A good recovery from a devastating condition Doug and it's great to see that you're pushing the limits.

You're also a fully qualified and paid up member of the Zip Club :lol: Welcome.

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Yambo
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Yambo »

For a fleeting moment some time back I thought I'd set your phenomenal performances as targets but then I realised you'd already beaten me with 4 CAB grafts to my 3. And you were a Royal Marine and me just a Pongo and a logistician at that. :(

But it was very much your comment on the C2 forum that told me I could probably work harder. You may not remember it but you said "You can't burst the new tubes!". I thank you for that. I wanted to get a first marathon out of the way before I started working on pace but I'm seeing real improvements now. Not sure how far I can go without bulking up a bit and I'm reluctant to do that - I'd have to feed it. :)
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
KiwiCan

Post by KiwiCan »

I had great ambitions to get in, and stay in the top 75 for this season :D . As some may see, I have not logged any metres yet :cry: . I partially dislocated a shoulder in December. A few visits to the doctor and two months of Physio and I started rowing in March =D> =D> =D> . In late April the pain and weakness returned :cry: . The doctor says to stay off the "Metal Mistress". I am getting a hig definition x-ray and ultrasound next Monday. Hopefully it is something that is repairable.

Meanwhile, I am pounding the pavement every day and wearing out my shoes.
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Very sorry to hear it. :cry:

As you say, hopefully it is something that can be fixed. Meanwhile keep on moving!
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Best of luck with the X-Ray and investigations Dave. Hoping for good news and a reappearance on the metreboard soon.
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

That's tough news indeed, all I can say is shoulders can take ages (sorry) I did mine Xmas 2011 OK the pain was such that I could continue rowing most of the time just had to keep it light ie no sprinting. Bear with it matey lets hope they get you sorted soon.
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

First row for a long time today. 500m in 2:10, 4 months after my bike accident. It appears that rowing is uniquely designed to test out broken ribs and sprung shoulders. But my back has been sore and I think rowing is the way forward albeit gently.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Welcome back Thomas. Take it easy for a while and make sure you don't do anything to aggravate your injury.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

Good to see you back rowing Thomas, I echo Paul's wise words, do take it easy :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Well, I am still on the road back, but it has been winding. I got very fit for cycling again, I cycled the Tour de Yorkshire Sportive (which was the hardest physical challenge I have ever undertaken), then cycled from home to Paris in 3 days. I then *raced* the Tour of Cambridgeshire. But throughout the latter rides I was getting more and more concerned about my wife's health; she had found a lump in her breast that was confirmed as cancer in the week between Paris and Cambridge. On top of the horrible accident last year and then the shock of losing my dad it was a bit much.

This led to my having a complete melt down in the Cambridge race in the last 30km as I realised if I fell off (the race was carnage - bodies everywhere) there would be nobody to support her through a difficult Summer and beyond. When I finished I got of the bike, curled up in the foetal position and wept like a baby. I couldn't look at my bike all summer, but I did play cricket once a week (and got 98 in one game - my highest ever score!).

This is was when indoor rowing should have taken over of course (unless a model E, falling off is not much of a problem...), but it didn't. I did my typical thing of eating too much when under stress and not exercising enough. But my wife is in the last bit of radiotherapy, and opted not to have chemo (she had a choice as she was in a grey area for cost/benefit) and I am feeling better. I have started getting out on my bike again. Today was a glorious morning and it was just such a blast.

BUT

If I am going to get back to a reasonable weight I need to exercise more. And rowing *has* to play a part. I am going to endeavour to do 1h a day of exercise for 100 days and see where that takes me. My dull blog will probably document it, and feel free to PM me with reminders if I look like I am caving in again.

Later: http://thomas.w-p.me.uk/blog/2015/09/at ... -100-days/

Cheers everyone!
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thomas, I'm so sorry to hear about what you and your wife have been going through over the past several months. It sounds absolutely awful, but it's good to see that there's finally some light at the end of the tunnel.

I wish you both the best over the coming months.

Paul
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Seconding Paul's message and well wishes, Thomas. Difficult chain of events you've been going through.

That's a good goal -- 100 hours of exercise in 100 days! Here's to your progress!

Barbara
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Thomas, I have only just seen this.

I am really sorry to hear about your woes and hope you and Tamsin come through this even stronger.

All my very best wishes

Alan

p.s. I will be keeping an eye on your blog to make sure you do not skip :wink:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

Thomas, great to see your comeback is set in motion.
It's a good thing that you've got on your bike at all again after that horrible crash you had.

Best wishes to you and your wife! Here's to happier times now!
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Thank you for the good wishes :)

I managed 30 minutes yesterday - my first long row other than warm ups at the gym for months and months. I managed a sedate 6,100 odd metres at a mighty 2:25, and it was bloody hard.

Hour at the gym under my belt today, so that is 3 days! 97 to go which pretty much takes me to New Year's Eve.
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Thomas, after everything that you've had to cope with, it's heartening to read about your determination and optimism.

Well done with the start of your new exercise regime.

Keep positive both of you.

Best wishes to you and Tamsin.

Jill and Richard :)