Heart Monitors

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Duckrunner
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Heart Monitors

Post by Duckrunner »

I need to get a Heart Monitor, so has anyone a preference or can recommend one to me please. I am running a Concept2 E with a PM4 .

Thanks
Chris
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.
Yambo
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Heart Monitors

Post by Yambo »

Suunto and Garmin HRM chest belts connect with the PM4 monitor Duckrunner but they have to have/use ANT technology. Polar HRMs need an extra bit of kit.
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
billwright
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by billwright »

I've tried both Suunto and Garmin (so far) Chris and for me they've been equally carp! I've had two Garmin chest belts this year and at last decided to abandon any HR recordings and just row by feel. I'll get round to sending them back to Garmin one day but at present CBA as their customer service doesn't seem that receptive. With the PM4 it's just a case of switching it on and letting it search for your belt and then pairing up.

I used Suunto for a couple of years and their belts have the same problem. 6-9 months and they had to be replaced.

Perhaps it's me or they ain't "Marine Proof!" :lol: :lol:

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I have to admit my Suunto chest belt that came with the C2 didn't last too long, less than a year in fact. The Garmin they sent me as a replacement is holding up OK apart from the elastic strap which will need replacing very soon.

I was a pongo so maybe not just Marines. ;)
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
Duckrunner
True Free Spirit

Post by Duckrunner »

Thanks Bill, and Yambo, much as i suspected, I got a Suunto ith the PM4 when i bought the rower, but same story the belt rotted, broke after about 9 months. So may be not "Military" proof :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will stick to your method Bill, Heart beating, keep rowing, Heart stops, stop rowing, record time before collapsing and dieing. Could be a PB... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Chris
Former Royal Marine, 74, 92kg,using the C2 D and Bikerg to maintain fitness and weight loss.
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

I know I'm a bit late, but worth noting that since 2006 I've had two belts only. Both Polar. One died because the battery was not replaceable. The current one is slowly getting more stretchy so I have to move the clip (maybe I'm getting thinner :lol:) but I can replace the elastic easy enough. The rubber is fine though.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
AlanS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by AlanS »

I'm pondering getting myself some kind of heart rate monitor to allow me to follow my training plan properly i.e. not just doing 30min R20 at any pace I like, but at the pace for the required heart rate range.

I'm not bothered about having my heart rate displayed on the PM3. I use a gym, and couldn't be bothered attaching the interface every session.

I did notice Polar had a nice app for iPhone (Polar Beat) but the belt that would go with it is BlueTooth 4, which is something that only came in with iPhone4 and above (I have iPhone 3S, IIRC). Am I missing a trick there, or is that option ruled out?

A watch and belt option would be fine. I'd like to be able to upload my data to my PC and/or some website so I could view the results. I'd also like to be able to work out my resting and max heart rates, then my training bands, and configure the watch to use them.

What would people recommend?
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I used to be a Polar user, and was generally happy with their products, other that the non-replaceable battery issues. I used to have the Polar plug in for the PM2, and that was great and reliable (with un-encoded belt). Modern gyms tend to have a load of HRMs going, and I don't know if it would still work as well now.

I was forced to Suunto by the move to PM4. I've found their kit to be quirky and unreliable, compared to Polar, and it is a good job their batteries are replaceable, because they seem to not last long at all. I'm still on the original HR belt after 18 months, so I'm not a belt-breaker like our military friends. The best advice seems to be to replace all the batteries (yet again) whenever the thing is unreliable, and then it seems to behave for a while. The EPOC stuff is great and I'm finally starting to learn how to get value from the extra data (I think).

I'm really reliant on my HRM and the feedback it provides, although I think it may have 'helped' in overtraining when I got a bit too good at working out what 100% maximal form would be, and going there a bit too often.

In summary, I'd cautiously recommend the Sunnto kit (if you're linking to a PM4), provided that you are prepared to feed it batteries regularly. Personally, I find the additional data useful, but it all depends on how scientific you want to be. It did show that I was overtraining/not recovering/pushing too hard - next time I need to learn to listen better!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Hi Alan,
all I can say is that I've had a cheap Polar since 2006, it's worked every time I put it on, and i still have the original strap.
Just the odd battery change now and then.
If you are not interested in the hi spec Suunto's or more expensive Garmin's & Polar's, then that's the way to go ( plus Dan Burpee's spreadsheet gives you lot's of data from the RP files if you have RP)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
beegee
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM2

Post by beegee »

Mike Channin wrote: I used to have the Polar plug in for the PM2, and that was great and reliable (with un-encoded belt). Modern gyms tend to have a load of HRMs going, and I don't know if it would still work as well now.
It won't - mine's a small gym (2 ancient model C/PM2); first time someone wearing an hrm took the erg next to me I saw my HR double to about 300 then flatline. Scared the hell out of me :oops:
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Hi Alan. I would go with the Suunto if you want to play with all the geeky graphs after downloading the data. I have paid extra for the firstbeat athlete software to go with it as others have told me the movescount software which is provided by suunto is rather inaccurate. As Mike says they do drain the batteries, but the batteries are incredibly cheap (12 from Amazon for 2 quid!) so thats not really an issue. I have never broken a belt either, but have had to replace the transmitter once - the constant battery changes probably ruined the seal so moisture got in - it might be worth buying the transmitter battery replacement kit from suunto as they provide a new seal with it.
Cheap polars are reliable and give you some basic information, but if you want the graphs etc, then suunto is the way to go. Having said that I understand some of the more expensive polars and garmins will do much the same thing.
Enjoy your imminent slide into geekdom! :lol:
pb times
AlanS
True Free Spirit

Post by AlanS »

Thanks for the replies, guys. It's appreciated. Even if I am more confused than I was before I asked. :lol:

Mike, the C2s at my gym are Model Ds with PM3 monitors, so I don't think I would get any benefit from a Sunnto. In any case, I'm not bothered about having my heart rate displayed on the monitor - on a watch would be fine. I don't intend to be terribly scientific. Simply knowing I'm training within the range and what my ave/max heart rates are will be enough. So, no, Stan, I don't think I'll be sliding into geekdom here. I don't have the time to be sliding into geekdom. :fssmile:

I'm leaning towards a fairly basic Polar. But even then they have so any options, it's hard to know what features I need and what are just for show.

One thing I will want to do is work out my HRmax. I've seen the Step Test, but I don't really understand it, in terms of what the end result actually is. Is it the actual HRmax, or a value from which it can be derived?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

AlanS wrote: In any case, I'm not bothered about having my heart rate displayed on the monitor - on a watch would be fine.

I used to put my Polar watch on the frame of the rower so I could see it easier but having the heart rate displayed on the monitor is a lot better for me. Like you I'm not worried about graphs and lots of data, I just like making sure I'm not getting into dodgy territory or keeping in the band I've set for myself. I'm still not convinced by Bill's assertion that you can't break the new tubes from the by-pass op. :D
millie
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by millie »

Hi Alan,

I've used a HRM for training on and off, more off recently, but in the past 15 years doing triathlons and now rowing I've probably gone through 4 Polar HRMs. I'd recommend getting a coded transmitter (otherwise you can pick up signals from others near by also wearing HRMs). I've had a couple of simple models and a couple with full on interval data settings etc etc but the only functions I've really used consistently are 1) actual HR; 2) average HR during session 3) maximum HR during session and 4) current time. I've got a pretty basic model at the moment:

http://www.polarelectro.co.uk/uk-en/pro ... aining/FT7

But by far and away the coolest thing about it is that when you set it up you put your date of birth in (I think so it can estimate your max HR if you don't enter a value) and then on your birthday the display changes to show a cake with candles on it :!: :lol:

This is probably obvious to you anyway, but when you do a max HR test, do it on the erg rather than e.g. running or on the bike - your max HRs may well be different for different types of exercise. I found when I first started rowing there was no way I could even get close to my Max HR running, but over the years as I guess my technique and rowing fitness has improved it would now be the other way around I expect (especially since I don't run anymore :) ).

I think there are different types of step test - I know there are some 'sub-max' that are predictors rather than actually being designed for you to reach your max. This one is used by Rowing Australia and is an actual max HR one:

http://www.rowingaustralia.com.au/docs/ ... rowing.pdf

At the moment I just use my HR watch and not the monitor. Nothing against training with HR, but I found mine was starting to get tempermental (probably time for a new one) - changed the batteries but still find it doesn't read my HR sometimes.. I also think imo that the most important use of the HRM is to see if you're overtrained (rather than if you're pushing it enough) and I don't do enough sessions a week now to need to worry about that. And I don't seem to have a problem pushing myself for the harder stuff :D

I also found it a bit confusing as during an interval my HR would increase, and subsequent intervals would get up to a certain HR quicker and I wasn't sure whether the 'target zone' was referring to the actual 'spot' HR, or the average over the interval, or the session etc etc.

Having said all that I've just looked my HRM band out whilst writing this, discovered it is working fine and now planning to wear it for my next session :)

Especially since you've just recovered from a virus and getting back into the fast stuff after a break I reckon training with a HRM is a good idea.

Let us know how you're going with it all
Amanda
*All PBs set on a Model D on slides
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Yambo wrote:
AlanS wrote: In any case, I'm not bothered about having my heart rate displayed on the monitor - on a watch would be fine.

I used to put my Polar watch on the frame of the rower so I could see it easier but having the heart rate displayed on the monitor is a lot better for me. Like you I'm not worried about graphs and lots of data, I just like making sure I'm not getting into dodgy territory or keeping in the band I've set for myself. I'm still not convinced by Bill's assertion that you can't break the new tubes from the by-pass op. :D
Ditto, ditto, ditto.
The HR display on the monitor is 100% better than having to check the watch during the row.
If you don't think you'll need to do that (although if you are rowing to HR ranges you will) then you'll be fine.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
AlanS
True Free Spirit

Post by AlanS »

I do appreciate that having the heart rate on the monitor would be 'easiest', but I draw the line in buying a heart rate interface and installing it every time I go to the gym. If having a watch on my wrist isn't working, I'll strap it to the erg so I can see it easier.

millie, I had been torn between the Polar FT4 and FT7, but since you seem to be happy with the latter, I'm sure it will be good enough for me. I ordered one last night, for 30% off RRP. Looking forward to giving it a go... not so looking forward to determing my maxHR. :fswink:

Thanks to all who offered advice in this thread - appreciated. =D>
millie

Post by millie »

Just make sure you input your birth date so the birthday cake comes up!!! sure you'll enjoy using it and will add a new dimension to your training.
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Off topic ish...

All this talk of hr monitoring encouraged me to get the batteries replaced in my old and very basic polar watch (done and returned by polar within two days) so could use it when cycling. I went out yesterday and it told me my heart rate was 185.

When I was standing still.

I was grumpy until I realised my front light flashed at 185 :grin: :lol:. When I turned it off everything you was fine including the beeping when I went above AT2, which was very useful. Amazing how slow I went up the "hills" around here, but I am a big unit.
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Mr Channin has peeked my interest in EPOC and says I need a R-R heart rate monitor. Since I am about to be self employed, starting a business from scratch does anyone know of a cheap as chips HRM that will give me that? I know the T6 does it but the belt alone is £50+ I think...
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Unfortunately R-R recording is a premium feature for the data obsessives, and they know they have us over a barrel and can charge accordingly.

On a related subject, FirstBeat looks like it is heading for an interesting major update soon (if anyone else got the email). All the more reason to fork out an go Suunto, despite the quirks, short battery life and rubbish chest straps.

When I cycled before I got my first HRM, I just could not do hills. At all. When I rode with a HRM I discovered that I was whirring along at 170+ on the flat, with virtually no headroom. The second I hit a hill the HR went to max and I had to get off until the flashing lights went away. _This_ is where I first learned the value of pacing!!

The benefits of modern higher end HRMs is that they are encoded and don't suffer the crosstalk issues. My old (unencoded Polar) was generally ok, but I used to run a circuit past the Wapping print works, and it would suddenly shoot up to 230+ and beep like I was gonna explode. Heaven knows why, but it did amuse the people on the benches...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
AlanS
True Free Spirit

Post by AlanS »

Completed my first step test today (the one on this site). At the end of the test, my HR was 194, quite a bit higher than my age-predicted max of 182. So my heart rate ranges are quite a bit different too. Turns out the UT1 pieces I did over the weekend were actually UT2. Which is why I wanted to do the step test, to ensure any training I do is correct as per plan.
millie

Post by millie »

no slacking off now then!!
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by jainser »

Thomas W-P wrote:I know I'm a bit late, but worth noting that since 2006 I've had two belts only. Both Polar. One died because the battery was not replaceable. The current one is slowly getting more stretchy so I have to move the clip (maybe I'm getting thinner :lol:) but I can replace the elastic easy enough. The rubber is fine though.
Was going to reply but this is the same for me - rather spooky really, well almost apart from the getting thinner bit cause that isn't happening!!
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
slwiser
True Free Spirit

Post by slwiser »

If you have a pm4 the best alternative is to purchase the Sunnto memory belt. This is much more reliable than the comfort belt type straps. You really don't need a watch if you have the memory belt and the pm4.
62 years old, ~210 lbs; 1.765m(5'-9.5"): CABGx4 on Feb 18 2008; Dynamic @ home
-I am keeping my workouts up in Movescount under my user name here.