Return to OTW after 13.5 years

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Return to OTW after 13.5 years

Post by Mike Channin »

Yes, I finally made it back into a boat early on Sunday morning. The last time I was in a real boat was on the last day of the May bumps 1993, when we got bumped and I passed out! (in that order!)

Went out in one of the Curlew rowing club VIIIs.

Went surprisingly well, especially considering they put me on Bow Side, and I'm really not much good on that side!

Was horrible and wet weather at points during the outing - never have THAT on the ergo! Fortunately we managed to complete the outing before the real downpour came in (that was like a waterfall!)

Feathering and squaring the wrong way round was a bit tricky, and I got some new blisters on my thumbs as a consequence. The seat was pretty unforgiving, so _more_ blisters you know where. Got my calves eaten by the slide rails, and also had shoes about 6 sizes too big. All part of the fun of OTW.

Without wanting to sound like too much of an old git, the technology has certainly moved on since I was last in an VIII. The boat was a nice plastic shell, whereas the last boat I was in was a wooden hull (and I noviced in a clinker!). Also, this was my first experience of using cleavers - they'd just come in back in 1993. Also, composite blades weigh almost nothing compared to the old wooden ones we used to use. Haven't figured out if this makes it easier or harder to keep the boat sat.

Looking forward to the next outing, although it will be a hell of a lot nicer if I get back onto stroke side! (Nearly caught a crab about 3 times owing to not being able to 'feel' where the blade was by instinct, but fortunately was strong enough to pull the blade back out each time.)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

VIIIs.....

I'm jealous.......

and in the rain as well! The full boatie experience :D You'll be buying the all weather kit next :wink:

When's the next outing?
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Should be this weekend, but I'm away (visiting my mum to give her a surprise for her birthday).

And yes, have already been looking into splash tops.

:?: Here's a question - why do VIIIs _still_ have the ridiculous oversized shoes issue?
:idea: Why don't we have the equivalent of cycling cleats, so everyone can move around and keep shoes that actually fit. Surely this would be a better idea...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Mike Channin wrote: :?: Here's a question - why do VIIIs _still_ have the ridiculous oversized shoes issue?
:idea: Why don't we have the equivalent of cycling cleats, so everyone can move around and keep shoes that actually fit. Surely this would be a better idea...
Dunno - I agree with you :D
I've got size 4 feet...... needs an awful lot of socks to get the shoes to stay on!
PB:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

:idea: Maybe we should invent it then?!?!?
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Thomas W-P »

You won't be able to use cycling ones? When you see cyclist wearing them they are hobbling about - not too good for a warm up run - or carrying the boat to the water.

But hey - maybe the technology has moved on. What do I know?
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Erm, the shoes you wear in the boat are fixed to it. The shoes you wear to get to it, put it in the water, and go for runs tend to get left on the bank. I wouldn't be much good in doing warmup runs in a pair of size 13s either...

Also, cycling shoes vary a lot depending on their purpose. Pure racing shoes are not easy to walk in, but hybrid MTB shoes can be used for hiking too (to a point anyway, carrying it up steep hills and round bogs etc.)

My only concern was that the rowing action may produce enough lateral twist to release the cleat, but this would need to be tested to find this out. You _could_ tighten the clear right up, which should avoid even this issue....
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

I'd happily carry a pair of 'in the boat' shoes to outings if it was easy to clip them in - the heels also have to be secured with ties (but that's pretty easy to do).

Shouldn't be too much lateral twist - unless you're steering a coxless.....

It is possible to take the whole footplate out & carry it about (I've got mine in the car boot at the mo) - but not quite as convenient!
PB:
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Mike Channin wrote:Erm, the shoes you wear in the boat are fixed to it. The shoes you wear to get to it, put it in the water, and go for runs tend to get left on the bank.
Erm, isn't the idea to make this a better solution? If we are going to finance Free Spirits through our (secret?) patent then surely wou want shoes you can put on, run round the park for a warm up, wear in to the water, get in the boat and THEN do a lateral twist when you get in the boat. Then all in reverse at the end of the outing. Maybe even wear them out that night to a trendy bar.

I don't think you quite realised how far I was taking your idea.
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Thomas W-P wrote:Maybe even wear them out that night to a trendy bar.

I don't think you quite realised how far I was taking your idea.
Oh fab! Can we develop a stilletto version? :lol:

Staying (marginally) 'on topic'......
I've now seen the draw for my first OTW race in about 13yrs (Saturday). My first ever in 1x. :shock: Womens' Vet Novice B......

Watch this space.

Target: to go faster than at least some of my J15s!
PB:
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

OK. I admit it. I'm jittery. :shock:

Should be marking, can't focus. Read the PB thread twice to inspire. (it works! :D )

The full possibilities for acute embarrassment tomorrow are now marching across my brain..... chief amongst them falling in in the middle of the race then having to watch all my J15s scull past..... and I know I'm not very fit.... and I know I can't steer bends terribly well (it's a very bendy course) and.. and... and..... why the hell did I say I'd do this????

If I manage the first division in a 1x the other coaches have now persuaded me to double up with one of the J15s who is otherwise partnerless in a 2x for the next division :shock: I am clearly an easy mark! :D

Forecast is sunny but windy.......

OK

I feel better now I've got that off my chest :D
I just need to pack a paper bag to breathe into tomorrow when I really start to panic :D
PB:
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

The VERY best of luck Janet. I'll be thinking of you.
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Yes good luck Janet, we are all right behind you
pb times
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Thank you both!

I'm now off for an early night.......
PB:
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

OK

I'm back :D

I'm dry! :D

I came 3rd out of our 11 J15 1x times - so that only cost me 2 mars bars :D

I saw a couple of people I hadn't seen for a while & so got cheered on from the bank. :D

I did get overtaken by two WJ18 1x - one of which came across too close so I had to easy.... :evil:

Overall that's 4 :D to 1 :evil: - I reckon that's a pretty good day!

(& I didn't have to double up in the end either.... good job as my legs were jelly - need to be much fitter for next time..... :wink: )
PB:
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

Janet, I sounds like you had a great day rowing on the water. Congrats on your finishes.
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Yes, well done. Glad you didn't take a dip :D
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Did my first ever sculling last night, although it was just in the powered tank. Two blades - how strange!!!