Physio Visit

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Wendy
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Physio Visit

Post by Wendy »

Today I saw the physio at the hospital about my back and forearm pain. Amazingly neither is rowing related :D. The back pain (thoracic - spreading into left rhomboid muscle) is purely postural and caused by wrong posture when I work at the office (computer based) and use my netbook. I sit with my head poking forwards and rather slumped. I've been given lots of exercises and advice about raising monitors etc. and hope it works.

The forearm is an RSI from computer/trackball use and unaffected by rowing because it is caused by fine motor movement and not gross movements like erging.

So I can keep erging, but she suggests a couple of days off while the pain subsides to manageable levels and then I can climb back on. Just have to wear my arm/wrist brace to make sure I maintain a neutral wrist at all times. Oh, and don't grip - pull. which is fine because I usually hook my fingers over the handle and pull anyway. Gripping gives me blisters.

But oh I'm so relieved :fsbgrin:
56, 5'8", 78kg but trying hard to be less than I am!

I have become (un)comfortably numb
Scoop
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Physio Visit

Post by Scoop »

I'm pleased to hear that you can carry on erging through the injuries Wendy :fsbgrin: You're doing so well at the moment that it would be a shame to have to interrupt it. Listen to your body if it starts talking to you.

If you go to any competitions then you'll see that a lot of the experienced ergers have a very light grip on the handle. Jason (Hewitt) who is very fast only uses his middle three fingers and he looks like he's holding an egg whisk despite the incredible force he is applying. My grip is heavier unfortunately and I always use hand pads to keep the blisters at bay.
Laurence M 50 116.2kg 6'5" Started 17 Jan 2009

Fall down seven times, get up eight. Japanese Proverb.
'Tis not the eating, nor 'tis not the drinking that is to be blamed, but the excess. John Seldon
zootMutant
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Wendy wrote:Today I saw the physio at the hospital about my back and forearm pain. Amazingly neither is rowing related . The back pain (thoracic - spreading into left rhomboid muscle) is purely postural and caused by wrong posture when I work at the office (computer based) and use my netbook. I sit with my head poking forwards and rather slumped. I've been given lots of exercises and advice about raising monitors etc. and hope it works.
That's great news, Wendy! 8)

I'm wondering how the heck they figured this out. Did they just ask you questions? Did they watch you work? Did they put you on a rowing machine? Anyway, that's great news!
Wendy
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Wendy »

They have a full set of exercise machines at the physio clinic - rowing machine, treadmills, exercise bikes, weights, swiss ball - all of it. So I had a go on their rowing machine (not a Concept) and she said I was fine. Then I had to sit on one of the not quite comfortable type chairs that are usually in the waiting rooms as if I were looking at my netbook (pretending a book was my netbook). She pounced I swear! Apparently lapbooks on laps are a leading cause of upper back pain these days. Then I had to use a mouse and she saw that I don't maintain a neutral wrist. Dead giveaway apparently. And she asked if large arm movements hurt my arm (they don't) and if tiny, fine movements do (screaming agony ...).

It was a very thorough grilling, and detailed physical examination and at the end I got a printout of several exercises. She said they are part 1 of set 1 of the back exercises she will be prescribing for me. I go back in about ten days and she'll check my muscles etc. and hopefully I'll move up to part 2 of set 1.
56, 5'8", 78kg but trying hard to be less than I am!

I have become (un)comfortably numb
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

I got through the first sentence and I thought, "Where the heck is this place" then I realized it was in England. :wink:
Sounds like they did a very thorough job and you're on your way to a quick recovery!

Cheers,
Tina Gallasch
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Tina Gallasch »

I haven't been vising the forum for the past while, and so much has been happening. Wendy, I am so sorry about your 'injury' postural or not it's still an injury, but you must be very relieved it's not about the rowing. All the best for a speedy recovery. knowing you, you'll be doing those exercises, and making postural changes, so it won't take long.
All teh best Tina & Wayne
Tina Gallasch
Life begins at 60...er 65 … er 76