Nonathlon 2007

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

alistairkbs
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by alistairkbs »

webberg wrote: Are you going to take this lying down? :twisted:
Had to for a while whilst back sorting out but a first FM today allows me to ditch my 500m time and get the 100 point bonus
A gain of 159 points :lol: :D :D
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mike Channin »

New 5k PB got me another 18 points, and at 920 is my 3rd highest Nonathlon score ever!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Just noticed our very own Hummingbird, Tricia B is doing rather impressively on the Nonathlon. Check out her FM score of 1119 :shock:

If she keeps improving those scores, I reckon she'll be past me soon...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
MaxDev
True Free Spirit

Post by MaxDev »

Just logged all my times / distances now...

Seems I'm consistent anyway... all scores between 804 (2K) and 842 (HM) - total 5813 after 7 events.

Still to do: 500m, 60' and FM. Plan on doing the first two tomorrow (well, today now)... that should see me to 7450, and at least 7550 when I log a full marathon.

Then the hard work starts, trying to squeeze an extra 20 points or so out here and there like the rest of you are doing. Guess my target is somewhere around 7700 to begin with.
Maxim Devereaux
32, 6'1", less than 100kgs if I'm lucky

PBs:

Designed for living; built for erging
Tricia B
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Tricia B »

Hey Mike....thanks for noticing that I was on the nonathlon board.....I think my FM score is so high because there is only one other lwt female in my age group that has rowed an FM (on C2 rankings).....I thought since I have rowed all the various distances, I'd post them to see where I'd place...I enjoy all the bantering back and forth about gaining more points by squeeking out better pb's......sooo much fun....

Tricia
the Colibri, Unleash the power of the Free Spirits and Fly

Ultra Distances 2007 season: 6 FM's (with 3 in 3 days) and one 50k

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I'm trying to figure out how you'd be scoring on the Nonathlon improvement challenge.

Which of those times have you done since 3rd October? (And if you can remember, what were your previous times at that distance this season?)

If you can get me this, I can work out your points haul in the Nonathlon Challenge in FS Fun League. Think you might do pretty well.
ReducingFB
Stop posting and start rowing!

Coping with Boredom

Post by ReducingFB »

If I could just get over the crashing boredom of doing a 60 min row probably in about fifteen three to fifteen four I could post something like 8400 points, and then there is just the supreme challenge of the marathon to do.

Help guys - how do I overcome the boredom?!

RFB
65; 6'-4" 20 stone (aug 2014) - looking forward to a healthy retirement, when I recover the Equitable losses
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Close your eyes?

Listen to your lungs screaming?

Feel your legs dying?

Curse whoever invented the erg?

Watch any film with Kate thingy (aka the wooden top)?

Break it into 120 x 30sec pieces?

See? easy. :twisted:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Put some music on and just zone out and listen to that. Unless you're going for a real hard time, the longer distance stuff is just cruising along relative to the short stuff for most of the way anyway. Have to dig in towards the end, but that'll keep you from getting bored...
MaxDev
True Free Spirit

Post by MaxDev »

When I'm going for a hard 60 min (or any other hard long distance erg), I don't listen to music or watch TV as I find it's too distracting and I slip back towards steady-state rowing if I do that... I have to keep focussed on the PM3.

For a 60min, the default split being 12 min, which is useful but a bit long (I find), I tend to mentally break it down into 2 or 3 min sections (6 min earlier on - you know it's going to be a bad day if you're not even a third of the way, and already clock watching), which always gives me a close milestone to aim at.

So for a 60 min, I'll be aiming for milestones at (time to go) 54, 48, 42, 36, 30, 24, 21, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 2...

Add to that a few more points of interest at 45, 40, 20 and 15 (quarter, third, two-thirds and three-quarters done), and there's always something close to aim at.

I realise this isn't for everyone, but it works for me :)
Maxim Devereaux

PBs:

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

That's one of the tactics I use to get through the really long stuff, marathon and above. Marcus was quite impressed/worried that I could reel off the next approaching milestones for him on Friday. As MaxDev says, it is also getting yourself through to that next little milestone, step-by-step...
ReducingFB

Max is right

Post by ReducingFB »

Yes I think MaxDev is right about breaking it up into small achievable targets. I remember in the early days at 22 stone, I would try to do 700 m in each 3 min section, just trying to keep going.

I probably try to achieve too fast a time every time now, and need to try to 'cruise' a bit. Still want to do a PB every time. :twisted: I suppose at my age there is going to come a cross-over, when decline through age means I will be past my peak and times will start to go down.

Anyone know when that is ??!

RFB
65; 6'-4" 20 stone (aug 2014) - looking forward to a healthy retirement, when I recover the Equitable losses
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

RFB, good poimt and one that is discussed ad nauseum on the C" site in the "Ranger" thread.

I don't want to stir any pots but he has a training regime that allows him to stave off and perhaps reverse the decline due to age. Some people are more than a little sceptical but anybody who pulls sub 7 at over 50 years of age must be pretty good.

I still try to PB each time I hit the erg. Today was HM time.

I cross the age barrier soon but I keep getting quicker. Now this is either late development or all my young times were cr4p. 8)

I prefer the latter.

On the longer bits, set up the monitor to do say 12 x 5 mins intervals with no rest. You can then set the pace boat for each sector. E.g for a 14k 60' piece I would tend to do splits at 2:07.5, 7.8, 8.2, 8.5, 9, 9.3, 8.7, 8.3, 7.8, 7.2, 6.8, 5.5. This brings you back in about 2:07.9 and over 14k.

Takes a bit of fiddling to set up but once done it can be done on "Re-Row"

Hope this helps :lol:
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Boredom

Post by PSims »

I have the trusty iPod on...soft rock mostly. Some tunes coincide with EXACTLY 30 spm rate (ahem - you may not agree with my taste!):

- Life is a Rollercoaster - Ronan Keating
- If You're Not The One - Daniel Bedingfield

For sheer power I like Jump - Van Halen!

I use distance to "reward" myself with a drink...usually every 5km.

30 - 40 mins is the worst bit - when lactic pooling sets in and your mind starts to wander - focus on holding the split times.

Use the pace boat.

If you are doing a lot of long pieces, don't expect to get close to a PB every time. I alternate days, easy one, hard one etc.

Have a buddy to row with - either in your gym or on RowPro
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Tricia B

Post by Tricia B »

Mike Channin wrote:I'm trying to figure out how you'd be scoring on the Nonathlon improvement challenge.

Which of those times have you done since 3rd October? (And if you can remember, what were your previous times at that distance this season?)

If you can get me this, I can work out your points haul in the Nonathlon Challenge in FS Fun League. Think you might do pretty well.
Mike....was this for me? or, Maxdev...he just posted his scores too...I have my previous pb's with dates so can provide you with them.....if you would like to calculate my improvement....that would be great....thank you.....Tricia

Tricia

MaxDev
True Free Spirit

Post by MaxDev »

Tricia B wrote: Mike....was this for me? or, Maxdev...he just posted his scores too...I have my previous pb's with dates so can provide you with them.....if you would like to calculate my improvement....that would be great....thank you.....Tricia
I think he meant you, Tricia.

Mike wouldn't have known my past scores anyway, but since I've got historic PBs for the 2K and FM that are 30s and probably 10min quicker than I can do now, I don't think I'm likely to be scoring any improvement points any time soon :(

So much for getting a new PB for the 10K today to try and get a few more points for the nonathlon. My legs felt like lead after the 46K I did yesterday and although I managed the first 5K in 19:37 (3 seconds inside target), I died shortly afterwards and limped home in 40:29.

Was so annoyed I didn't take more than a 5 min break for water before ploughing on with the HM I'd promised myself. That was equally hard work, finally getting home in a rather disappointing 1:34:51.

Still, looking on the bright side, as the two pieces together took just a fraction over 2:15, I scored an extra point I wasn't expecting to for the Sit-a-thon.

Maxim
Maxim Devereaux

PBs:

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I did mean Tricia, but it will probably equally apply to anyone else who wants a go at the Nonathlon Challenge.

What I need is all your scores as of the 3rd of October (which is when the challenge officially started), and then anything you've improved since and by how much. The only fiddly bit is normalising the scores from when you start with 8 or less - but I think me and Thomas have got this worked out now. Post up your scores and I'll see what I can do...
Tricia B

Post by Tricia B »

Mike....

Here are my times/distances as of 10/03/2006

500m 2:09 no change
1k 4:50 no change
1609m 7:54
2k 9:16
5K 26:08 no change
6K 30:27 no change
10k 51:53 no change
HM 1:55:27
FM 3:47:32
30 minutes 5,816
60 minutes 11,612

I improved my FM today to 3:28:47.....I am so much better at the longer distances.....still need to work on my sprints....

thank you so much for calculating my improvement points.....I wouldn't know where to begin the process....

Tricia

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

OK, now I need you to go onto the Nonathlon,
List out all your current points totals (to save me looking them up)

then temporarily reset the distances that have changed back to their 3rd Oct values and write down the points values for then too.

Finally, reset them back to their correct values again.

That should be enough...
Tricia B

Post by Tricia B »

Mike,

I will make the changes to the scores and then correct them....after I return from our Thanksgiving gathering this afternoon....if we run to late it may not be til tomorrow.....

thanks for letting me know what I need to do.....T

JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Boredom

Post by JanetS »

PSims wrote:
Have a buddy to row with - either in your gym or on RowPro
Have you got RowPro working?
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
ReducingFB

Broke through the boredom barrier

Post by ReducingFB »

Thanks to an amallgam of everyone's advice managed to post a 60 min tonight. Have had some twinges at the base of the back, so began a just row at about 2:08 to warm up. After 20 mins, had a lot more freedom of movement and HR still under 130 - so cranked up to 2:04 through the middle, then managed nearly 2200 m for the last eight minutes.

14,500 only earned 825 points (have done over 15,200 last year, but got up to 30th place now. :lol: Now to work on the improvements, can see a marathon coming this year, unless I can get in more long rows

RFB
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

Tricia B wrote: I improved my FM today to 3:28:47.....I am so much better at the longer distances.....still need to work on my sprints....

Tricia
Excellent job Tricia!!

I did a FM today too and in about the same time as you. I have to admit, it was nice seeing that a FM burns 2300 calories, it made it easier to have a bit extra of the stuffing at Thanksgiving dinner. :D
Tricia B

Post by Tricia B »

Rita....

congratulations on your FM......incredible time.....I have had to do a few FM and lots of HM to lower my time.....I also am sooo hungry after long rows......I enjoyed my turkey dinner with all the trimings and had seconds....really missed left overs for today.......

keep up the great rowing.....

Tricia

SandBaggerOne

Post by SandBaggerOne »

A disappointing 1000m today (3:19.7, was shooting for 3:12), but the extra points pushed me to 17th on the Nonathalon standings. I need to get back into short distance shape.

Cheers,

Colin