100km Row

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Wendy
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM4

100km Row

Post by Wendy »

Well, I think I've done the training right. I've been rowing over 120km a week for what feels like most of my life (alright then, the last few months). I've rowed 5 marathons in the last 6 months, and one 50km. I don't think I've ever felt healthier and fitter.

The most difficult bit will be balancing the carbs/insulin/energy output equation but I think we've got that sussed following some very helpful input from my endocrinologist last week.

My erg is coming down to the sitting room for the day, and I've got lots of DVD's (including Cracknell & Fogle's Atlantic Crossing, which I figured would be inspirational!) and my husband has agreed to put up with my heavy metal music whenever I want it played. I have assorted seat pads so I can vary things, and have a Camelpak for drinking so that I don't have to stop every time I want to drink. As a "free sweater" I will need to take on a lot of liquid and if I stop every time I'll never damn well get there! I've lined up husband and son as support group, with a possible sister and I'm thinking of asking the ex-Marine PT Instructor who lives next door to drop in and encourage me at intervals :lol:

I'll get Fall Challenge out of the way and then have a couple of very easy days and several days off entirely and will be making my attempt on Saturday 22nd.

Anything else I need to do?
56, 5'8", 78kg but trying hard to be less than I am!

I have become (un)comfortably numb
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: 100km Row

Post by plummy »

Mental fortitude. This may get horrible, but given the training you've already done it should be in the later stages. At that point you will have to dig deep and grind out the metres even if you break it down to 100m blocks at a time. When I did my only 100km, I was absolutely, utterly ready to quit at 27km to go (I vividly remember the moment). I plugged away and wasn't convinced in my mind that I would actually complete it until the counter dropped to 4999m - then I knew I would make it. From 27k - 5k, it was all mental (maybe in more ways than one). Support and distraction from the boredom/pain are extremely useful!!

Good luck!
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Thanks Plummy - hopefully that translates as sheer pigheadedness, and I think I have a fair bit of that.

I don't care about the time - I just want to finish, and I am hoping I have the reserves of courage to pull me through. I think I have - but this will be a good test.

paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Good idea to have music and TV for distraction - break it down mentally into manageable chunks(say 10k or 20k pieces).
Try and keep the breaks fairly short(that worked for me anyway) and don't look at the monitor - even cover it, if you are not aiming for a particular pace.
Best of Luck - 100k sounds daunting but it's not bad if you start out at a conservative pace - it appears that you have done the prep so you should be fine.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

I thought of putting masking tape over the pm3 so that just the split remains visible, and then taking a peek at the distance remaining every few hours. If I don't I'll start working out percentages rowed/to go in my head, and that does get a bit grim I should think.

I'm kind of looking forward to it in a nervous, anticipatory way. Distraction seems to be key; I might try and line up a few more visitors.

webberg

Post by webberg »

Good luck with the row.

I'm very envious as I've often thought about this distance but have never had the time for the training.

On the geeky side, I have a series of blanks that I attach to the PM4 if I want to focus on one element.

These are just thick card with a slot cut to coincide with whichever reading I want.

I have around 6 of these.

Perhaps in your days off you could make a couple/three and swap them at intervals during the day?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

That's a clever idea! I shall do that because if I use masking tape and I'm all sweaty it might not stick back properly when I peek and I'd just get cross with it.

webberg

Post by webberg »

You'll also find that masking tape and sweat will leave your monitor in a not good condition.

You might want to check the batteries as well. I know that the PM4 uses power from the wheel to drive the monitor but I'm not sure about earlier versions. It would be a complete pain for the batteries to pack up 7 hours in! #-o

Because I've planned the piece many times but never done it, I'm not sure the following is useful or not. I think Plummy and Iron Arse and possibly Mr Channin who I know have all "been there, done that, got the T shirt" may ahve some comments to make.

I always planned on doing around 30k at the beginning at around target pace (which I wanted to be 2:25/500). That's about 2.5 hours. I did not want to be chasing the split early in the piece as that would eb too disheartening

Then a 4 minute break for a change of clothes etc.

This is followed by 4 x 10k at target plus 5 to 10 secs/500. Perhaps a short break between each one.

Finally I was going to break the final 30k into odd distances. Not sure what but not any of the ranking distances/times. The idea is to not be able to easily calculate the time prediction for each one. Perhaps 7k, 4k, 4.5k, 3.5k, 5.5k, 1.5k, 4k. (One plan even used a random number generator - sorry a bit sad). Again short breaks included.

The ambition was sub 8 hours. Given that my then cruising speed was around 2:09/500 over 10k, that was perhaps to much to ask.

As I said, perhaps not that useful but those that can't "preach" to misquote a phrase.

Good luck
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

webberg wrote:You might want to check the batteries as well. I know that the PM4 uses power from the wheel to drive the monitor but I'm not sure about earlier versions. It would be a complete pain for the batteries to pack up 7 hours in! #-o

...... Then a 4 minute break for a change of clothes etc.

.........Finally I was going to break the final 30k into odd distances. Not sure what but not any of the ranking distances/times. The idea is to not be able to easily calculate the time prediction for each one.

As I said, perhaps not that useful but those that can't "preach" to misquote a phrase.

Good luck
These are helpful suggestions, and I'm pleased to have them. My main ambition is not to let the pace creep up at the beginning because then I'll be knackered by about three-quarters of the way through. Other than that - I just wanna get there. I haven't a hope in hell of chasing Anna Bailey's amazing record time, and I wouldn't even dream of trying - she's a total phenomenon ^O^ . I just want to get there and see that distance come up on my logcard!

cweed
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by cweed »

Wendy be sure have your support team post updates for us! When Dave and I did the 24 hours the messages people sent and skype calls we got really helped.

I find for long rows I really like fruit. Small bite sized pieces and cold!

Would something as simple as a post-it note work on your monitor?

Good luck!
Christine - 46, 5'8" lightweight...only when I really need to be.
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

The update thing is a good idea!

Food has been difficult to work out. It needs to be carby enough to keep my blood sugars up but not so carby that they leap up into the too high category because that always sends me to sleep! Unfortunately I'm not that keen on bananas which are low GI but good and carby. I've settled on mashed mangoes (I'll use a spoon because I really hate sticky fingers), and stewed apples. Also I've got some of the SIS Go isotonic powder which says it makes up to 6 litres of glucose/electrolyte replacement drink.

I've also got a couple of sachets of glucose gel (my usual emergency stash) just in case I go a bit low (thankfully very easy for me to pick up on - I'm lucky that way; some diabetics can't tell until it's getting a bit late).

Iain

Post by Iain »

Best of luck, you are much better prepared than I am for my attempt 20 days later. I know Plummy hit a problem on his 24hr due to too high a concentration in his food/drink intake. Basically, if the concentration (osmotic strength) of the fluid in your gut exceeds that in your bloodstream, you don't absorb it and you will feel very ill. I personally have to be careful with high juice drinks as they can give me a bad stomach, so I would recommend a few trial runs to see what you can tolerate. I don't know how you are estimating the calories you are going to use, but I firmly believe that getting the food right is second only to not going too fast in importance in the planning.

Re monitor, I do have a target so am torn, but in the absence of this I would have set up the PM in intervals so that you never have to look at 7XXXXm to go etc. after you have already been rowing for what seems like an age. The trouble is that then the projected finish is only for the interval and so cannot be used to focus on a target. In addition, if you take a break early in an interval this has a disproportionate effect on average pace so may encourage you to go too fast to get back to pace.

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

I love the interval idea! I'll do it :D. Much more encouraging if I just have ten lots of 10k :fsbgrin:

I'm hoping that the practice goes with marathons and the 50km will stand me in good stead for what to drink. I usually have a home made concoction of 20% OJ to 80% mineral water with a pinch of natural organic seasalt in it. That's the recommended recipe for home made isotonic drinks apparently, and it works well for me usually, and I finish with my blood sugar level just about where I need it to be. Testing is gonna be irritating - I use fingertips and if I'm rowing they don't stop bleeding immediately (which is what they normally do) but dribble gently all up my hand. Yuck!

Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Daffy »

Good luck with this when you do it - the prep you've put in sounds good from what I've seen.

I seem to remember that if you take a rest it is good to have someone briefed as to pressing the appropriate button to keep the monitor active. It would be awful to take a break that was slightly too long and have the whole thing go blank...Get the boys trained!
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Do you have RowPro? Because there are alot of people that would join you if you are doing 10k intervals.Just pick the date and watch the sessions fill up. :fsgrin:
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Good luck!
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

hewitt wrote:Do you have RowPro? Because there are alot of people that would join you if you are doing 10k intervals.Just pick the date and watch the sessions fill up. :fsgrin:

Actually that would be great because I discover you can't set the pm3 for 10k intervals. You can only go up to 4 digits per distance on a distance interval setting :|.

My husband says that when I bought the erg (brand new from Concept) I got a link to RowPro in the blurb, so we'll download it and see what we can do. I am hoping that I can make it work for me. I am occasionally a tad challenged in the technological department. Do I actually need a heart rate monitor? I haven't any money, so I can't get one until sometime in the New Year.

ETA: Gods, I'm such a noodle!! I can set the pm3 for Intervals - Variable and then put in ten lots of 10k with short rests - doh!!

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I've just seen this, and don't have time to do a full response now, but my summarised advice would be:

Bubble-wrap, plasters, micropore tape, a couple of decent fans (air blowing type, not supporters although those are handy too), isotonic drinks prepared and lined up. (on my 50ks I would break and drink a whole pint, check plasters and retape, and then set off again, once every HM or hour)

Break it down into small bits, and aim at each of those, rather than the whole. I did my first HM for five years yesterday, and I was using the time counting up, and the metres counting down as interim targets. Oh, and count your strokes and row it ten at a time - keeps your rhythm, breathing and stroking consistent, and keeps you from contemplating the full horror of the total distance.

And finally, it is ALL about the pacing. Especially on the ultra-distances. You need to be comfortably in the prime fat-burning zone and avoiding depleting your muscle glycogen as much as possible. And don't worry about chasing the split - it's really just about completing the distance (at least on your first attempt :twisted: )

Someone rowing alongside you can help too - I rowed the last 30k alongside someone doing a 100k back in 2006, just to give them some company. (But don't chase them if they row faster than your pace - get them to stroke at the rate you want).

Good luck! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Yambo
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Yambo »

Wendy, I also have a 28 day trial for RowPro which I haven't used yet but I'll happily stick it on the comp and row 10 or 15 k with you. Later in the day would suit me better as I have a meeting to attend in the morning but I'm definitely up for it.
If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.
Iain

Post by Iain »

Wendy wrote:...I can set the pm3 for Intervals - Variable and then put in ten lots of 10k with short rests
You can set the rest at 0. I always adjust my rating so that I am mid-stroke as the intervals change, as otherwise it doesn't count down on the new interval until you pull a stroke. I know the loss is minimal, but every little helps, also it gives me something else to think about (I usually do 11m/stroke on LSDs , so I try and hit 1-2M more than multiples of 11 from 143m onwards).

I think helps is to have a firm plan of when you will take drink or other non-emergency stops. Otherwise I find tyhey get ever closer together.

Finally, I find even dilute OJ is too acid. Coupled with the loss of a lot of salt in sweat (At the end of a long row I have salt marks across my face where the C-breeze has dried it - so I always put a fan on my back so this doesn't get any worse), I always add a small amount of soda bic (baking soda) to add sodium and reduce acidity. The disadvantage is that it fizzes up so needs to be made an hour or so in advance as you don't want fizzy drinks. I have seen no research on how glycogen reserves vary between men/woman or with weight, so it is very difficult to know how much sugar you need to take in. But most reports I have seen have had rowers "hitting the wall" of depleted sugar reserves between 50 & 70km in. SO don't assume that a drink that will get you through 50km will be sufficient for the 100km. I know that your diabetes restricts your options, but I use 2:1 water to OJ, dash orf lime for flavour and add 5% Maltodextrin (halfway house between simple and complex sugars so more easily absorbed and digested). I expect to drink 6-7l of this during my 111k, some 2,500-3000 calories. This should be much more than required, but leaves room for having to revert to water or reduce intake due to nausea or bloating.

Hope this helps.

Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

I know what you mean about breaks getting ever more frequent! I have bought the Camelbak to help prevent that; it should mean I can keep drinking without having to stop every time. I'm going to pop it on the table next to me, and pin the tube to my top. (I've read about others taping it to their arm but I think that would really start to irritate me after a while).

Your comment about the acidic nature of OJ rang true, but because I also use the OJ as a glucose source and can't have it any more dilute than the 20% I've bought some SIS Go drink powder and it will make 6 litres apparently. Anna Bailey used it and she was advised by Eddie Fletcher. I'm hoping if it was good for her then it is good for me too. Certainly it's nice and carby!

I think I'll go for intervals with rests (short) because I know me, if I can tell myself it's only X minutes and I get a break, I can convince myself not to stop until the rest period. I'd worry that with no programmed rests they'd get longer and longer....

Wendy

Post by Wendy »

Mike Channin wrote:I've just seen this, and don't have time to do a full response now, but my summarised advice would be:

Bubble-wrap, plasters, micropore tape, a couple of decent fans (air blowing type, not supporters although those are handy too), isotonic drinks prepared and lined up. (on my 50ks I would break and drink a whole pint, check plasters and retape, and then set off again, once every HM or hour)

Break it down into small bits, and aim at each of those, rather than the whole. I did my first HM for five years yesterday, and I was using the time counting up, and the metres counting down as interim targets. Oh, and count your strokes and row it ten at a time - keeps your rhythm, breathing and stroking consistent, and keeps you from contemplating the full horror of the total distance.

And finally, it is ALL about the pacing. Especially on the ultra-distances. You need to be comfortably in the prime fat-burning zone and avoiding depleting your muscle glycogen as much as possible. And don't worry about chasing the split - it's really just about completing the distance (at least on your first attempt :twisted: )

Someone rowing alongside you can help too - I rowed the last 30k alongside someone doing a 100k back in 2006, just to give them some company. (But don't chase them if they row faster than your pace - get them to stroke at the rate you want).

Good luck! ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
Thank you for this advice; I really appreciate it :)

stumpy
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by stumpy »

Re the SIS go drink firstly I swear by it, but it's not a good idea to use it with out trying it in you training first as quite a few people find it upsets their system, also I find anything over 8% is just to strong and thick to drink 4-5% seems about right for me, again try it out first.
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

100km Row

Post by Gooner Neil »

Energy gels are a necessity but taste awful. However http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cli ... s-ec019493

Are chewy and tasty
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Wendy

Post by Wendy »

OK - all good to go tomorrow. Erg now in sittingroom and looks enormous! Mind you, it's a small room ....

DVD's and music sorted. Food sorted. Drink sorted. Husband on standby for the day.

Think I'm about as ready as I'm gonna get. Just sleep and brekkie to go .....