Been away - so what has happened since early 2007?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

As the title says, and some of the longer term Free Spirits may even remember, I was quite active with the club about 5 years ago, but then had a long lay off, from which I'm just starting to come back.

So what have the Free Spirits been up to since early 2007, then? Can anyone give me a potted summary? (Links to where else the notes are is fine, as I'm sure loads of it is on here somewhere already - just not necessarily easy to find if you don't know what you're looking for.

We did discuss the idea of a yearbook type summary way back - maybe this thread might generate the stories to fill them?

In the brief scan around I've had, I've seen some incredible achievements. Bangers is dominating the Nonathlon as ever, FS seems to have scored a load of points in the CTC, and there have been many race wins, many records set, and many other wonderful achievements, some by old friends, and some by people I've yet to meet or get to know. Go free spirits...

So tell me what you've done or seen, or what has impressed you the most.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Re: Been away - so what has happened since early 2007?

Post by Stan »

Hi Mike, its great to see you posting regularly again.
Still got fond memories of the charity marathon Paul Sims, yourself and I did. The sweat, the pain, the waiting ages for you to set your music up :D :wink: Done a few more since that one and still looking to break the elusive 3 hour barrier. There is a regular marathon held down in Paignton organised by Graham Lay of Forum Flyers which is well worth attending - he usually holds a 1k race the day before. It always help to share the suffering :twisted:
Still havent broken the 7 minute barrier for 2k :roll: , but I keep on hoping :lol: I keep entering the races anyway.
Did get a medal for 3rd place in the mile grand prix series a couple of years ago - by virtue of the fact there were only 3 people in the 40+ category who attended all 3 races, but as they say you gotta be in it to win it.
People have come and gone and some have lingered ( :D ) but as you can probably tell the ethos of Free Spirits remains as strong as ever.
I miss the ELM and the fun it generated.
We still get a good turnout for the ctc and as you can see we have some fantastically talented ergers.
Notable achievers:
Bangers - world records all over the place
Plummy - 24 hour endurance records
Christine - 24 hour endurance record and team challenge
Michael Gough (Spikeola) and Paul Gould for endurance events
Jason, Mat, Flatlander, Erik (Liefcat), Jon for consistently mind blowingly fast training sessions and competition results!
Jane for being a superb host 2 years running and hosting the Manchester training day - and for producing some superb racing results.
Everybody else in Free Spirits for getting on the metal mistress day after day and giving their all!!
pb times
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Hi Stan - yes, I too have great memories of that marathon day, and of several other events and races. I liked the team aspect of the global relay events we did too. All seems such a long time ago, now! I'm hoping to one day add to my tally of marathons, but it'll take a fair bit of training from here. But then with you and team to encourage me, I'll do my best. Right now I'm aiming to go sub-8 for the 2k ;-)

On a different subject, I saw one of your workouts on MovesCount the other day, and I'll be looking to pick your brains (and the other experts) on that vs. FirstBeat, and Suunto/EPOC training (which I'll post on the training thread).

Hats off to Plummy and Bangers for their awesome achievements. Also to all the Madchester crowd. And the endurance kings and queens. And the meter board junkies. And all the rest of you too. But also to all the quiet rowers, doing their distance and meeting their personal challenges. I think the totally open nature of the club is one of the best aspects. :fsbgrin:
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Stan

Post by Stan »

Hi Mike, just on the firstbeat/movescount thing - I use both. Sometimes, there is quite a gap betweeen the two on the final training effect but the concensus of opinion is that firstbeat is the more accurate. I use both but usually report the result from firstbeat. Neither of them accurately report the TE for long distances like the marathon.
Mike I am sure you will under the 8minute 2k very very soon and then moving onto sub 7 all too quick for my liking :lol: Just stick with it and forget what you could do 4 years ago and concentrate on day to day improvements from this point and the fitness will come back.
pb times
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Hi Mike. This link might help re your potted history.
http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/Pla ... oryid=ab98
And my dyslexia is still bob
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Hey Gooner Neil - haven't spoken to you in ages. Good to see your sense of humour is as bad as ever. Love the former world record holder in your signature ^O^

Maybe I should use something former ok rower and distance nutter in mine. Now reformed. But sinking back into the abyss... :twisted:
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Mike Channin wrote:Hey Gooner Neil - haven't spoken to you in ages. Good to see your sense of humour is as bad as ever. Love the former world record holder in your signature ^O^

Maybe I should use something former ok rower and distance nutter in mine. Now reformed. But sinking back into the abyss... :twisted:
Neil's signature says he is the former "recold" holder. I actually don't know what one of those is :wink:

It was all part of the big plan that if we set 100km British records (none were recorded at the time we set them), when a proper rower came along and murdered our times we could always fall back on the "former" record holder. They can never take that away from you.... :D
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:It was all part of the big plan that if we set ..... records (none were recorded at the time we set them), when a proper rower came along and murdered our times we could always fall back on the "former" record holder. They can never take that away from you.... :D
That's good to know. Alan McGlaughlin is about to turn 50 and I can see all my Irish records fading away...

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

My Mum was Irish I hereby claim the Irish 50-59 HWT records for the mile, 2500m and 1 hour :lol:

Until Saturday anyway-Grimsby mile :shock:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

strider77 wrote:My Mum was Irish I hereby claim the Irish 50-59 HWT records for the mile, 2500m and 1 hour :lol:
Do you have verification codes? :P Some of my older times are better than this season, but I was unable to use them because they were not verified.

Anyway, it's not enough to just have an Irish mum. You have to use that to get an Irish passport. When you've got that, please feel free to set as many Irish records as you wish in the 60-69 category. It will give me something to look forward to in 18 months time. :^o

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
hewitt

Post by hewitt »

Welcome back Mike. :fsbgrin: I have heard a lot about you from the longer serving Free Spirits. :)
Everybody has a plan until they get a punch in the face.

51 years old.
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Neil's signature says he is the former "recold" holder. I actually don't know what one of those is

See I told you I had dyslexia
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

As well as some of the rowing history, what about "sharing a glass or two" history? :D
There have been many a chinked glass at BIRC, with very fond memories of some overseas friends enjoying and perhaps overdoing our real ale :lol: . Let's see, Kirby, Mikkel, John Glynn, Odd and co, Peter W and Petr O etc.
Huw and I had a few more with Doug G from Canada.
I've had a beer with Paul V in Dublin and Brum, beers with Mikkel in Copenhagen, and beers with Peter Trusio and Boris Z in Princeton US.
TW-P, Webberg, Paul G (Iron*rse) and I at Twickenham.
Then there's Madchester, great fun in Jane's back garden.
I knew there was a reason I liked erging, I'll have to take it up again :lol:
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by jainser »

I've got fatter....
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

'I've got fatter'

Me too, Pete, me too. Still, there's only one way to deal with that...

And I see Wolfie has been filling the role of social secretary :P
And Stan has done an admirable job as team captain and dedicated meter monster too!!

Changing subject to the CTC Stan, can you get Daren to reset my password so I can log in and register my mediocre time?
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Mike Channin wrote:Changing subject to the CTC Stan, can you get Daren to reset my password so I can log in and register my mediocre time?
Not sure Stan can do that for you Mike, self service I think. I.e. you have to contact Daren?
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Stan

Post by Stan »

Cant do that for you Mike. You should probably pm Dougie (Citroen on the main C2 site) as Daren is not around much.
pb times