The "Cry for Help" thread

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

The "Cry for Help" thread

Post by Stan »

It occurred to me after posting the help Gregor thread and reading the responses that I may have struck a chord here.
While it would be great if everyone was constantly posting pbs (like Thomas) and was deliriously happy like Gooner (though what any Arsenal supporter has to be happy about is beyond me :lol: :wink: ), the fact is there are times when we lose motivation. Thats what this thread is about. If you have lost the will to row then post here and we will all try to help.
pb times
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

good idea. Sort of a Sarmatians for FS rowers.
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Changed the title to make it more obviouse what the thread was about. I am sure we'll all need it at some time or another.

I challenged Mike Channin that I would beat 4 of his PBs before I am 40, and may need this thread on the way as this becomes more and more unlikely.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Re: The "Cry for Help" thread

Post by Gooner Neil »

Stan wrote:deliriously happy like Gooner (though what any Arsenal supporter has to be happy about is beyond me :lol: :wink: .
I wish. As a worshipper at the feet of The Smiths and Joy Division I can do miserable when required :D Oh re les rouges what can't fail to make you laugh about forty passes an empty goal and one of our finest missing :shock:
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

To explain Stan's post I have posted an updated image of myself on the FS team page on the C2. It was taken after I found a C2 machine whilst on holiday.............
http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/chal ... ee+Spirits"
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mike Channin »

That can't be you, Neil. He's wearing a tie! (On holiday????)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
mash
Stop posting and start rowing!

Cry for Help

Post by mash »

Thanks Stan for setting this up.

I have most certainly lost my way at the moment.

I put it down to too much work, a house in the middle of a loft conversion and comfy seats!!

I just can't seem to find the energy to walk the 10 metres to the garage and jump on the erg!!

Any ideas? Plus only 9 weeks from BIRC...eeeeek!!

Mash
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

mash - good to see you back.

I have been feeling low too - massive allergic reaction on holiday exterminated my lungs and made rowing NOT fun.

Also, being a teacher and back at school I have had a nightmarish couple of weeks sorting my crap out, meeting new classes, getting to grips with the new GCSE, going on courses and activity days etc. Today when I got home my legs were throbbing in a weary manner. I was not keen to row.

BUT I forced myself out there (I too have a 10m walk to the garage) and today, for the first time in four weeks, I actually felt strong on the ergo again. My lungs are ever-so-slowly improving and today I felt happy at the anaerobic threshold. Last week I stopped when rowing at a far lower intensity.

I tell my kids that the hardest thing is to START doing something. Once you have started everything else seems easy. So once you have read this, go straight out to the erg - whatever you are wearing - and do a gentle 10 strokes. See how you feel. Who knows what might happen?

Good luck - I think you are racing me in the 35-39 range at BIRC and I look forward to meeting you. :D
Last edited by Thomas W-P on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Hi Mark.
If you are going for BIRC then do you have a structured program? Knowing in advance what I want to do on a particular day I always find helpful - if I just walk into the gym without having decided what to do is usually a recipe for a bad workout and the consequent drop in moral and motivation.
Are you doing the same sort of workout every time you go on the rower - if so maybe you are getting bored and perhaps doing something different would make it more interesting. Take a look at some of the challenges on the ELM and try working those into some of your workouts. I do a lot of long slow stuff so I am usually looking forward to those days I set aside for short fast stuff like the CTC.
Another suggestion - get a heart monitor (if you dont already have one) and buy "Heart monitor training for the compleat idiot" by John L Parker. There are more details about this on the racing tips and tricks forum but I would say having read most of it now that I am really keen to put it into practice - I believe Peter Jain is equally enthused by it.
I hope at least some of these suggestions are helpful but I am sure the rest of us can come up with some other ideas as well.
Good luck Mark - we are all behind you.
pb times
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Mash, we all have down days.

I try to get over them by just sitting on the ergo and doing a 1000m. Get up and walk away.

Later in the day I'm still thinking about how good that was or alternatively how it wasn't bad.

Sometimes I change the type of work I do. Presently trying to get to marathon distance so lots of slow pace but long rows. I find the mental concentration required much harder than the physical.

In the run up to Christmas I plan lots of intervals because my shorter stuff is so weak.

In the New Year I'll be attempting new PB's at everything up to 5k and be a LWT! (yeah right).

Chop and change it. Do short pieces and get up with something left in your legs. Do a long pece and focus on staying at a slow split. :oops:

Get a TV in the garage. Move the ergo. Take it into the garden and do something. :lol:

If all else fails, get a beer and sit and look at it. Guilt is a great motivator. :twisted:

We're all behind you.

Personally I admire all you guys prepared to race at BIRC. Something I couldn't do so be strong and focus on the reward. :P
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
mash
Stop posting and start rowing!

Help?

Post by mash »

Stan, Thomas, Webberg, Mike

Thanks for all the input. I suppose we all go through this at some time or another and for differing reasons.

Thomas & webberg, I did exactly what you said and went and had a go. It was 10:50pm and I did a gentle 2000m. Nothing world shattering but at least I got on.

Also, reading the other entries in the forum I see we are doing the 100k or 200k between Sept 15th & Oct 15th. Now I go on holiday the 3rd October so that leaves me 18 days to do 200k. I love the challenge so I think I'll go for it.

As for BIRC, I was training quite nicely upto a couple of weeks ago and Thomas I don't think you have anything to worry about, you'll crack that sub 7 (if you haven't already), that .4 of a second must play on your mind, I know it would me. Well I'll be around 20 seconds behind you!!

I too am looking forward to meeting all the other Free Spirits attending, I take it we'll be either wearing the design as per the iron on transfer or there will be kit available from that online shop you've been looking at.

Stan, you asked whether I do the same workout each time and I must say that I alternate between 10k and 15k each session. I think I'm going to start doing more of the CTC stuff and the reason I didn't before was because I was chasing people on the metre board so the thought of blasting out a 500m didn't really factor in. I have a small window of opportunity for my sessions as I can't do fast times in the morning (if I can get out of bed at all at 5am before work!!) I have to try for PBs or SBs (thanks Mike for SBs) during the evening and that usually after bathing and putting my daughter to bed.

Thanks again all you guys you're a fantastic bunch and I'm proud to be part of the group.

Mash
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Good to hear you might be making a comeback. I have had low patches before now - usually when ill. I am really hoping that this club will pull me through when I hit them again.

Does the 0.4 seconds play on my mind? Not really. It makes me confident I can go sub seven next time :D. I have knocked 8 seconds off my 2k time each time I have tried it since joining Free Spirits. Not sure I can go 1:43 average next time though but I will be setting off at 1:44.9 for the first 800m full of hope that I can push on from there.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Thomas/Mike
Do you think this thread should be a "sticky" so everybody always knows help is available?
I think it would be a pity if this thread disappeared off the bottom of the page.
pb times