Charity Marathon Row - 28th October - Photos now in

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

As of now, I'm planning to attempt a FM on Saturday morning.

I did 1 hour tonight as a final warmup and set out with a view to finding a pace that I can sustain for at least part of the full marathon distance ie. a pace that felt comfortable, but not too slow as I want to finish some time on Saturday.

I managed to average 2:01.3, but struggled over the final 10 minutes or so and will probably try to head off around 2:05 pace on Saturday and see how long I can keep going. I expect to slow down (probably quite significantly) over the second half as I reach uncharted territory and I will be very happy if I can keep the overall average under 2:10. (Being realistic, I'll be happy if I manage to complete the full distance).

This is fairly spur of the moment as I hadn't really considered attempting a FM until Stan responded to my posting last Friday (after my first ever 2 hour row) and suggested I give the FM a go. I'm probably mad, but I'll give it a go and try to hang in there.

As per the various mailings I've seen, I'm planning to take a couple of breaks for drinks, bananas, visit to bathroom, etc. It occurs to me that there could be a potential problem with this. The monitor on the erg on my gym tends to shut down if there's nothing happening for a minute or two. Is there some way of setting the PM3 so that this doesn't happen? Otherwise, I presume I will need to start a new session and use a separate stopwatch to record how long the break is between sessions.

Wish me luck!

Thanks
Paul
Last edited by Paul Victory on Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Paul, pacing is everything on the marathon as I frequently point out. If I were you, I'd head out at 2:08 and see how it feels. It may feel easy at the start, but it'll get much tougher after 2 hours or so. If you're still feeling it is easy at the 2 hour point, crank the power up and pull in to the finish. If not, you'll be glad you didn't go off too fast.

2:08 pace will see you through in just under 3 hours, which is VERY respectable for a first FM. Remember the whole trick is to avoid stressing anything too much for the first part and make sure you're not in serious pain before the end.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Thanks Mike

I agree that a slower pace might be better, but I tried a 2:08 pace for my 2 hour attempt last Friday and found it very tough. The 2:02/2:03 pace that I did tonight actually felt more comfortable and I got into a better rhythm than last week. That's what makes me think I might be better off with a slight fly and die approach.

I expect I'm going to feel pretty tired from about 90 minutes onwards and would prefer to have a few extra metres in the bank at that stage, provided I can do so without blowing up altogether. I may be totally wrong in approaching it this way, but psychologically I think I'll find it easier to keep going if I'm a bit ahead of pace when I start feeling really tired. If I can break 3 hours, I'll be over the moon.

Regarding my query in the final paragraph of my earlier posting, have you any suggestions as to how I can prevent the PM3 from shutting down if I have a break? I guess I could ask the gym attendant to keep changing the display if I'm away from the machine, but would prefer to find a solution that is not relying on someone else.

Thanks
Paul
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

I don't have that problem as I use e-row, but I think the trick is to give it a quick pull every couple of minutes to stop it powering down.

You're welcome to try a 'fly and die' on the marathon, but I really couldn't recommend it, that's all. Never understood how people can find going quicker easier...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

All training now complete. Currently stuffing down pasta...
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Sorry didn't show up on the day. Better half really not very well, so I have been running around like a blue arsed fly doing all the things she normally does. Didn't realise she did so much (don't tell her I said that!! :wink: )

Anyway good luck guys I know you will do it. I'll be watching the metre board with baited breath...... :wink:
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

Chr*st that hurt! Nearly bailed at 13k to go, 10k to go, 8k to go.

Didn't beat 3 hours -major downer about that :cry: Was tickin along at 2:08.7 splits with a view to pushing on in the last 10k but either hit the wall or a big wall hit me.

Finished in 3:05:25. - BUT - I did finish and made it to 1M metres for the season now. :P

Off to collapse on the sofa

Plummy
Hope all the other guys made it (I'm sure they did!)
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
TomB

Post by TomB »

Well done Plummy and congratulations on the excellent time.....
Paul Victory

Over the Moon (just about)

Post by Paul Victory »

I said I would be over the moon if I broke 3 hours for the marathon and I made it with 25 seconds to spare.

I set out just hoping to finish the full distance, but my projected time kept hovering about the 3 hour mark and I managed to keep going with gradually slower splits, but enough to stay the right side of 3 hours.

Not feeling too bad, other than the inevitable saddle sores. Now having a (well earned?) glass of wine.

Waiting to see how everyone else did. Now, if only I could remember how to change my signature...

Paul
Paul Victory

Still over the moon

Post by Paul Victory »

I just remembered two added bonuses as a result of today's row.

1. I passed 1 million meters and am now the proud possessor of a fancy certificate and soon to be the owner of a brand new teeshirt (if I can figure out how to contact the UK website).

2. I got 100 bonus points in the nonathlon and have moved from 20th to 17th (passing Derrylad along the way).

It was worth all the pain.

Paul
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Times in from the Reading Charity Marathon day:

Paul Sims: 3:03:44.9
Andrew Stanway: 3:06:29.0
Mike Channin: 3:27:15.3 (50k - FM @ 2:53:40.5)

Thank you _so_ much all those people who sponsored us, especially those who added the extra so I had to do the 100k.

And well done to Plummy and Paul Victory - great efforts!
And well done too to Paul Gould - official team nutter.
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Oh and for the record, for all those who visited Paul's JustGiving page, yes he was smiling after the marathon, but not until a good 5 or 6 minutes after ;-)

And for those of you who HAVEN'T visited it (yet) - go on, have a look, and send Paul some more money while you're there!
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Thank you

Post by PSims »

Many thanks to everyone who sponsored me!

Special thanks to Stan and Mike - you guys were fantastic today.

I was particularly touched by the award - The Betty Sims cup which now sits proudly on our bookshelf! Thomas & Mike - thank you again.

The FS kit looked great on the day - and I think we al came out feeling pretty pleased.

Welldone to everyone else who supported us with their own marathons.

I'm now off for a well deserved bath!

:oops:
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Stan

Post by Stan »

Just got back.
A big thanks to Paul and his lovely wife Jane who made me so welcome (and not forgetting Joseph either). Well done on that time Paul.
I was over the moon to beat my target of 3 hours 10 mins and knock just over 10 minutes from my previous marathon time, set this time last year. :D
It was also a pleasure to meet Mike (great time for both the marathon and 50k)- I had no idea rowing a marathon could be made so complicated, involving spanners, computers, cables, speakers, several tonnes of bubble wrap and several barrels of what looked like orange juice :shock: :lol: .
Congratulations also to Paul Victory on going sub 3 hours and to Plummy on posting a great time too
pb times
paulgould
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

Well done everyone who did the Marathon today - some great PB's and some fantastic efforts there.
Mr Sims - I'm delighted for you that the day was such a success.

Happy Rowing

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
BigWaveDave
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by BigWaveDave »

Just want to add my congratulations to all who completed FM's today and some great times and all in a very good cause.
BigWaveDave
52 yrs, 6' 14st 11lb
PB's
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Being away for my 8th anniversary on a cooking experience I made my contribution in a marathon garlic eating and wine drinking sort of way.

Well done everyone. Where are the pictures?
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Well done guys on your achievements.

Having tried to do enough training to get one in myself I can understand how much it must hurt.

Not sure now if I'm inspired or not. :?

Paul, I hope you raised a good sum for MND a very worthwhile cause.

For all you other Marathon nutters, how about another in April to conincide with the London running effort?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

And (end of) April is also:

1) Concept 2 Global Marathon week (well, fortnight really).
2) End of the rowing season - time to get that PB in.
3) Last chance to earn the extra 100 Nonathlon points.

So, all in all, a good time to have done some distance work and go for that FM...
deerworrier

first full marathon

Post by deerworrier »

did it, sore and sore again, if anyone finds a set of buttocks, they are mine:) 3hr 14min 41seconds. congratulations to all who did it yesterday. next goal 50k by crimbo then the big 100k next spring.

my arse is numb at the thought.
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi Deerworrier

You can have mine; it's totally useless right now.

I can't believe you're seriously considering doing even longer distances. I can't even bear the thought of a 500m right now.

Paul
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Congrats to all! :D
Can't believe how many of you did it!

Glad to hear you manged a smile at the end Paul :D

I'm with TWP - where are the piccies?
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Have sent the pics to Paul - am leaving him to decide what to do. Can post a few up if he's ok with that.
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

We should have a page on the main site with pictures I think. Perhaps the out of date "T-shirt" page could be re-edited to be the charity marathon page.

And certainly link to them in the newsletter...
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

Wow! Congrats to everyone who did a marathon (and more for Mike) this weekend. You all should be quite proud for completing it. I hope you all had some of your "spirit" of choice on Saturday night to help ease the pain, you certainly earned it.