Charity Marathon Row - 28th October - Photos now in

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Hi Paul
spoke to one or two people at work and they are willing to sponsor me for this cause so looks like I can raise a few more quid.
Well done on the 2nd 30k - the main thing is to get through them at approximately marathon pace.
I am intending to do one more 30k - probably this weekend. I will also rest for a full 48 hours before the marathon.
pb times
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mike Channin »

How on earth did you manage to chew a PowerBar during a 30k Paul? Those things take about 100 calories just to chew! Also, they require a lot of fluid at the same time, which probably makes them a pain during a timed event...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

To eat or not to eat

Post by PSims »

I ate it beforehand in the car on the drive in!
Which is why I reckon I didn't do so well.
On top of porridge as well!

And I tried calorie drinks instead of water.

Too many calories - couldn't get started.

Body didn't like it much.

Still haven't got it figured out....
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

What do you mean by calorie drinks? Should be taking on Isontonic fluids only before and during distance rowing. Anything with protein in is going to do you NO favours at all. Also, make sure the isotonic solution is on the weaker side of what is recommended (and you'll need the water anyway) - too strong a sugar solution will bring on the infamous runner's trots... :oops:
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Re: To eat or not to eat

Post by jainser »

PSims wrote:I ate it beforehand in the car on the drive in!
Which is why I reckon I didn't do so well.
On top of porridge as well!

And I tried calorie drinks instead of water.

Too many calories - couldn't get started.

Body didn't like it much.

Still haven't got it figured out....
Too many calories - NEVER. Beer has too many calories in it but I can never have enough of that :D
On a serious note though I have never tried training with enery bars etc I always thought it was a lot of hype. Know they worked but not to such great effect.
Do you think it could be a 'blue smartie' sort of thing??
I know that (with me at least) a lot of my rowing is in my head. Noticed it most on my recent 10k attempt, hit a mental block about 3 qrts into it but when I relised I was going to make it I turned up the juice and really hit the last few k with gusto!
Or these could just be the ramblings of an ill advised orge who is clearly in over his head :D
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Anyone else planning on joining us on our quest from around the world??
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by jainser »

I am going to do my very best to come along a cheer you guys on.
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Although I can't join you (to far away, wife's away and my daughter has had a long standing party booked), I do intend (at the moment anyway) to attempt a sub 3hr marathon starting around 11.00am or maybe a little earlier. Knowing that you guys are doing this for a good cause at the same time (and I have sponsored Mr Sims) will encourage me to finish.

Additionally, if I can get my distances right between now and then, I intend to pass 1 million metres for the season towards the end of the marathon
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
PSims
True Free Spirit

Thank you!

Post by PSims »

Hey Plummy!

Thanks for your support.
Doesn't matter if you are elsewhere...you are there in (free) spirit! 8)

I won't be aiming for sub 3 hours - just to finish is my goal as iot's my first one. :oops:

Did 30k with average split of 2:07.4 today - don't know that I could sustain that for a further hour! :?

Thank you for the sponsorship - really appreciated.
So you will have pain in your wallet and your butt!!! :lol:
Paul

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

About to get on and do my 30k test. Not looking forward to this...
PSims
True Free Spirit

50k or 42k

Post by PSims »

Good luck. We reckon on giving you 30 mins start if you are planning to do 50k...or have you changed your mind?
Paul

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

30k test completed. Except I accidentally did 42195m instead. Ooops. :D
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

:oops: :oops: :oops: Have just remembered that the marathon is slap bang in the middle of Tamsin and my anniversary weekend away without the kids.

Er, nno way I will be able to be there in person.

Good luck chaps.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
deerworrier

sharing the pain

Post by deerworrier »

be thinking of you, i am rowing mine on the sunday at fitness first in inverness. i decided to do one in the summer and am now obliged to as people have given me money for it. i am rowing for sense scotland, they provide nursing and assistance for ppl with brain trauma and mental/physical disabilities. just did 2hrs tonight and covered 26.5k so should be done around the 3hr 15 min mark.

good luck to all:)

p.s i am in the early stages if putting a team together to row the full length of the cally fault (look up caledonian canal) its 100k and takes in the famous neptunes staircase, loch ness and the muirtown lock at the end, if anyone fancies a go or knows of ppl i should get in touch with regarding supply of boat or sponsership feel free to pm me.
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Best of luck DeerWorrier. See the piece on the Racing and Training forum for latest marathon tips.

As for the 100k. Hmmmm, Tempting. If the timing is right and I can fit it in, may be tempted to have a go at the whole way for you. Have to try that sometime I suppose :shock: (On the erg I mean).

Would love to do the actual full distance in a real boat (now that would be an AWESOME experience), but can imagine that the logistics of that could be tough to sort out. Have rowed the Cam-marathon a couple of times at 32 miles and that is a LONG way.

That said, if it's going to be done, Free Spirits are the people to have a go....

Would we need permission from Nessie???
TomB

Charity Marathon Row - 28th October

Post by TomB »

I just completed my first FM in 3.19.44.8!!!! I intended to do a 30k test but set the PM3 for 42195 just in case.... Despite several stops for drinks, energy bars etc. I made it and I am feeling OK - at least for the moment. I endured some serious butt pain at times but it always seemed to pass. My intention was to maintain a 2.15.0 but that was too ambitious but I remembered the advice of many on the forum that the aim of the first FM is not the time, but to finish. Definitely calls for a celebration tonight!
deerworrier

Post by deerworrier »

nicely done mate, congrates and enjoy a beer or three tonight :)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Well done Tom - welcome to the Marathoner's club!
Stan

Post by Stan »

Well done Tom - that first marathon finish is always special
pb times
Thomas W-P
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Sounds like both my marathons. "2:15" and "too ambitious" chimed with me. And both my marathons were 3:19 too!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
PSims
True Free Spirit

Eek!

Post by PSims »

Well done Tom.

Getting nervous now - 6 days to go until my first...should be a CRACKING event!
Paul

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

If everything goes well this week, I'm planning to give the marathon a go next Saturday.

I would welcome suggestions on damper setting. The erg in my gym has a drag factor of 160 at damper setting 10 and I tend to do most of my training at this setting.

Given that I found the second half of my first ever two hour session last Friday very tough (at setting 10), would I be better off changing the setting to (say) 6 or 8?

I think I read somewhere that you are not allowed to change damper setting during a race. Does this prohibition also apply to attempting a marathon? If not, I think I may start at setting 10 and reduce gradually as I get more tired. Has anyone tried this and (more importantly) does it work?

Paul
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
PSims
True Free Spirit

Hmmm

Post by PSims »

Hi Paul,

As I said, I use 140 - which is the maximum recommended by Concept2 for men - if you look up damper settings it is well explained.

You will find it heavy at 160 after an hour or so...too much drag.
Think of gears on a bike - it's like trying to do the whole lot in top gear.

You cannot change damper settings for any row that you intend to record on the rankings - and I think doing so wouldn't give any advantage unless you were really sure of yourself.

As you are used to 160, experiment with 140, 150 this week - see if you find a setting you like better. otherwise go with what you know best....and feel most comfortable with.

Good luck - we will be thinking of you at the same time.
Paul

plummy

Post by plummy »

OK, that's 8197m done today, leaving me 42195m to hit my first million this season (which will be 150k more than I did in the calender year 2005!).

All being well and subject to me not collapsing/feinting/bottling it, the 42195 will be done Saturday am/pm with all the other pain lovers. Still targeting just sub 3 hrs but will try and convince myself it's better to finish it slower than blow up half way

Plasters/ towels/drinks bottles/Ipod/seatpad/ someone to shout abuse at me when the going gets tough AND new Free Spirits T-shirts - all at the ready

Wish me luck
Plummy
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
Stan

Post by Stan »

Hi Plummy - great to know you will be with us and good luck with going for the sub 3 hours. I am hoping for sub 3 hours 10 and everything points to me succeeding but I am still absolutely bricking it. Still there is nothing else I can do now to prepare for it as I have done my last row until Saturday. I will however ensure that I drink plenty of water between now and then to make sure I am well hydrated.
Good luck to us all
pb times