CTC for Sep 2006: 4k unrestricted (chosen by us!)

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Gregor Andrews »

Gregor Andrews wrote:Managed a poor 15:49.0 tonight after too many rowing-free days. Think I'll need to have some more attempts before the month has finished.
Slowly creeping up the listings.
Got my time down to 15:19.4 now. :?
6'6" 1971
chang chi

after 4K

Post by chang chi »

That's it :cry:

Total finished.
Tried to break my 2K after yesterdays 2nd attemt on 4K, which almost was within reach. (have forgotten the time???)
I go down to try 2K today and I could feel my right arm, but otherwise I felt good.
at 500m I was going 1:32 and begins to feel short of strength
1000 very tired and my lungs began to complain
1500 total confusion :? it looks so bad that I am getting embarassed. realy struggling
2000 Total breakdown 6:34.6 fell out of the seat in..:shock:

I must be in need of a resting periode.
Just had a week so I am not sure what is happining.

Maybe it's because I have only tried this distance once for many weeks (since july) and then I only did 6:29.5, so it is pretty much the same "stuff".
I was talking to a Danish guy (Poul "60 minutes"Bysted) and he said I must be able to go 6:20 or 15. He cannot go fast on 5K or 6K but 2K he does in sub 6:10 and 17354 m in 60 min. (WOW) :D
But he also said the you have to specialize to every distance, and being an olround rower I can't expect to go fast on every one of them. I think he is right.
I will however not row any more 4K for a while, maybe one at the end of the month, instead I will see if i can get a move on 2K which is the hardest to do of all the runs. I will try to attend the C2 euro open in Gladsaxe, outside Copenhagen ,Denmark this December, saturday the 3.
If I get a hold of my breath and strenght (a time around 6:15) I will attend. :wink:

Sincerely
Mikkel
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Mikkel.

Your times and others who are comparable are truly inspiring. You say that if you can get to a low 6min 2k you'll attend. I take from this you mean BIRC. Come whatever. I am the ant athlete someone who desires moe than they ever can achieve. Today I am sad to say I tried my hardest to go under 7min and completely failed. I will still go to Birmingham because
1. I want to meet my virtual mates
2. However bad I am i get the impression peolple might roll their eyes but they will then offer sound advice and encouragement
3. I don't get out much
4. Repeat 3

So come along and give me some barracking/encouragement and I in return will proudly cheer you cos your times are all I can dream of 8)
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Just read your reply properly my sentiments still remain the same, just go and enjoy it :D
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Gregor Andrews wrote:
Gregor Andrews wrote:Managed a poor 15:49.0 tonight after too many rowing-free days. Think I'll need to have some more attempts before the month has finished.
Slowly creeping up the listings.
Got my time down to 15:19.4 now. :?
Good stuff Gregor - starting to come back into form I see.
pb times
JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

Wow - fantastic times!

almost embarassed to post my tale from the other end of the listing... however - improved on my previous time by 30s :D which puts me into boat III :D (sorry Ana) , doesn't change position for boat III :o but knock on lifts boat IV from 14th to 12th :D

Good & bad news is it was a poor piece - shouldn't have tried a hard row first back after a virus - and especially shouldn't have been aiming for Rita's split..... :wink: There was a controlled phfut in the middle... bvut it does mean I should be able to get a better time if I go again in a couple of weeks.....
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Well done Janet anyone who improves deserves a pat on the back :)
chang chi

Post by chang chi »

Gooner Neil wrote:Mikkel.

Your times and others who are comparable are truly inspiring. You say that if you can get to a low 6min 2k you'll attend. I take from this you mean BIRC.

No not BIRC but a Danish "C2 Euro Open" in December.

Come whatever. I am the ant athlete someone who desires moe than they ever can achieve. Today I am sad to say I tried my hardest to go under 7min and completely failed. I will still go to Birmingham because
2. However bad I am i get the impression peolple might roll their eyes but they will then offer sound advice and encouragement
3. I don't get out much
4. Repeat 3

So come along and give me some barracking/encouragement and I in return will proudly cheer you cos your times are all I can dream of 8)
Okay!
Mikkel
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Thomas W-P »

After yesterday's failure to complete a 4 x 11' UT1 I tried to cheer myself up by doing another 4000m test.

This time I aimed for an even split 1:50 and nearly did it. Although I slowed a little in the second 1000m I managed to pull it back to 14:40.3 with the sprint at the end. :)

This had no effect on the team points at all!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit

Post by alistairkbs »

Gooner Neil wrote: I am the ant athlete someone who desires moe than they ever can achieve. Today I am sad to say I tried my hardest to go under 7min and completely failed. I will still go to Birmingham because
3. I don't get out much
4. Repeat 3

Lower down the food chain I dream of achieving Neil's times.

In my wildest dreams I lose another 5 stone and enter BIRC at 50 and do sub-7!!!

Just do it/attend whatever time you might make

Alistair

PS Always had a soft spot for the Gunners after they bought Ian Wright.

Palace through and through. I did have to be born less than a mile from the ground but I've followed them since 1968 !
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

JanetS wrote:Wow - fantastic times!

almost embarassed to post my tale from the other end of the listing... however - improved on my previous time by 30s :D which puts me into boat III :D (sorry Ana) , doesn't change position for boat III :o but knock on lifts boat IV from 14th to 12th :D

Good & bad news is it was a poor piece - shouldn't have tried a hard row first back after a virus - and especially shouldn't have been aiming for Rita's split..... :wink: There was a controlled phfut in the middle... bvut it does mean I should be able to get a better time if I go again in a couple of weeks.....
Okay Janet, I'll give you the secret/bain of my split time. I rowed that 4K on Wednesday night while watching my beloved Boston Red Sox get pounded by the Chicago White Sox. With that loss (and several others earlier that week and since) the Red Sox will not be in Major League Baseball's post season this year. :( .

I'll probably give it another go, maybe when one of my football teams is not playing up to their ability.:wink: I do like having my erg in my living room, with a good view of the TV. I should be able to crank up lots of meters during (American) football season (27.1 K today, including 1/2 marathon).

I'm glad you are feeling better and able to get on the erg again. Bugs galore going around here. Several of my student lab assistants have colds. Yes, there is another science geek among us.
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Rita wrote: I do like having my erg in my living room, with a good view of the TV. I should be able to crank up lots of meters during (American) football season (27.1 K today, including 1/2 marathon).
I am in awe of those distances! :shock: The power of TV I do understand - I used to be able to do 90mins...... that being the length of a 'Hornblower' episode. Still trying to get hubby to agree to get TV/DVD combo for ergo room/spare bedroom. I'm hoping a good dose of 'Sharpe' might help to get me back on the longer pieces :D

Another scientist! Ace! :D
PB:
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

If we don't watch out I'll be moving this to another thread, but I'll just slip this in. I wond a TV/DVD in my daughters' school raffle - and it sits nicely at the foot of the ergo in my office/garage.

BUT I cannot hear it! So recycled my hifi from my 16th birthday present (I chuck nothing!) and now have booming volume for even the fastest sprints...
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

Had my attempt at 4k this morning, did it not by the book as in no warm up or stretching just had a thrash. Adopted Mike's race plan in that tried to split the distance into 1200 just below 1.57, next 1600 between 1.54-56 and an increase next 300m to below 1.55 then a rather undignified dash to the end. My power was poor at the end no 1.27s for moi more like 1.43 but got me into boat II.
steve the slug
Spends too much time in the forum

times

Post by steve the slug »

hi all

Just getting back into it after an arm infection from a bite or somethiing, the past month / six weeks has been a bit of shit tiime for me, i should probably be putting this in the cry for help thread but i think i might be through that stage now,mind you still on anti inflams and antibi's incase it flares up again.

posted my initail time (15.12.5) but felt absolutely knackered so hope that there's some left for the end of the month when some fitness comes back.

there are some excellent times out there at present, well done to all, hope to get under 14.45 by end of month, otherwise i'll be in the totally crap row thread or whatver.

the slug or steve
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mike Channin »

Good luck with the comeback, Mr Slug! (Is about a year since my big MTB crash with left me with a badly infected elbow, so I know how you feel. But look at my times this year - it _is_ possible to make a comeback!)

Just looked at the CTC.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Awesome Time Alert :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nik "Big Bird" Fleming, one of the legends of indoor rowing, has gone sub 13 minutes for the 4k (12:52.0) - how impressive is that?!?!?!?

:shock: :shock: :shock: Alert Ends :shock: :shock: :shock:

We're still wanting 2 lightweights to float boats 7 and 8. And boat 9 is filling up. Great work fellow Spirits - keep it up!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
chang chi

Post by chang chi »

Mike Channin wrote:Good luck with the comeback, Mr Slug! (Is about a year since my big MTB crash with left me with a badly infected elbow, so I know how you feel. But look at my times this year - it _is_ possible to make a comeback!)

Just looked at the CTC.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Awesome Time Alert :shock: :shock: :shock:

Nik "Big Bird" Fleming, one of the legends of indoor rowing, has gone sub 13 minutes for the 4k (12:52.0) - how impressive is that?!?!?!?

:shock: :shock: :shock: Alert Ends :shock: :shock: :shock:

We're still wanting 2 lightweights to float boats 7 and 8. And boat 9 is filling up. Great work fellow Spirits - keep it up!

Hi CH
And when you think about it:
It is like two times 2K at 6:26 which is faster than my 2K???
really impressive stuff.

I dream of 6:26 on 2K :)
BigWaveDave
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by BigWaveDave »

Gave the CTC 4k another go this morning and was happy to knock 15 seconds off my previous time and now down to 15:05.0.

The best bit was that the 2nd 2k was quicker than the first and only 2 secs outside my PB for 2k - I know that this doesn't really count in that its a 'flying' start but it does give me hope that I should be able to take a chunk of time off a straight 2k.

Maybe this has even given me enough confidence to enter BIRC - I know that someone has to have the slowest time in each group, I just don't want it to be me!
BigWaveDave
52 yrs, 6' 14st 11lb
PB's
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

I saw that boat II had slipped to 12th. I gave the 4K during the Monday Night football game. I started with about 2:06 left in the first half and finished by the final whistle of the half, or 17 min 11.2 seconds later. :D

Boat II is now in 11th place. I might be able to get to 17:10, but probably not much below that.

9/20/06: Oops, Boat II still in 12th place sorry about that. I must have looked too quickly after posting my time.
Last edited by Rita on Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Nice one Rita!

OK - I need to have another go - this counts as a prod!
PB:
Stan

Post by Stan »

Just been checking the ctc - we only need 2 lightweights (male or female) to post times to get 10 boats afloat, so come on your lightweights - where are you?
pb times
Stan

Post by Stan »

cracking time from Boris on the ctc today - boat 1 now in 2nd place. Fantastic effort guys.
pb times
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

And Petr Oliva has bumped me down a boat - bit of a battle I am having with him. I have not had the oomph to row - early-term-itis is kicking in, but this might be the MOTIVATION I need to knock him down again :D
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

The Slug lives!

Post by PSims »

Hey Slug boy - welcome back.
Glad you are here again!
Now...you need to check out the ELM threads...he he he!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mike Channin »

2 days to go on the CTC and things are hotting up.

Great times from Alison Parker and Paul Victory added today.

And I decided to have a full out go at the 4k today, and got a PB by over 12 seconds with 13:57.8 (full details on the pain in the PB thread)

Managed to haul myself back into boat 2, and depose the big green ogre back down to boat 3 - sorry jainser!

Improved boat 2 from 14:50.7 to 14:47.8, and boat 3 from 15:10.3 to 15:08.5. Not much, but every little bit helps!

Just need one more lightweight to float boat TEN, so everyone hassle a lightweight.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)