Strange and unusual excuses for not rowing

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Here's mine as a starter.

Yesterday I managed to receive the first (or at any rate first _external_) injury from a curry.

Cut my thumb open on the corner of the foil dish thingy while opening it.

Hence couldn't row today.

(Beats my previous attempt of - can't row - have blisters on my ar$e)
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
ptruz
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by ptruz »

This is a perfect subject for my first post.

I have all these "things" I need to row. Each one can delay my workout for that day.

1. Did I eat recently? I can't row for an hour after I eat and I have to eat before I row. It's a very narrow window of time.

2. I need shoes and socks (boots and stockings.....English?). If they are in another room I can't row until I happen to go into that room or until one of my kids gets them for me. I may have to make a special trip!

3. WHERE IS MY TAPE! Have to cover my blisters.

4. Here is a big one......I have to wet my Polar Heart Rate Monitor.....that's a real bummer! Spit! Yuck!

5. I have to go on line and check C2 and Freespirit websites to "scout" the competition. How many meters do I have to row today to maximize my place in the standings? Today I rowed 12,474 meters to put me in 115 place overall and in the top 40 for the week.

6. OH NO!!!!! I'm rowing and I forgot to raise the volume on the television. SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!! Who are these people who say they can email or post while they row?!

I have been rowing for 2 months. Bought a C2 for my highschool children who row at school. My first serious exercise since I was in college.....so #7 is very important.....

7. My back....my ankles.....my shoulder.....all my aches and pains.....

Only two months.....but......nothing has stopped me yet.
PSims
True Free Spirit

Grrr

Post by PSims »

How about...my gym closed because of the Reading Festival?

So I had to miss my rowing because of 100,000 hippies descending on the town. :evil:

I even tried talking them (the club, not the hippies) into loaning me the machine for the weekend, which they did - but it got vetoed by the Management at home. :evil: :evil:

Other than that, excuses are:

- couldn't spend 8 hours a day on it during the week, as I had to go to work
- couldn't spend weekends on it, as that is likely to result in death by strangulation administered by the Management (see above)!

There have been days when I have wanted to find reasons not to go - particularly early, dark, cold mornings - but so far I seem to be keeping going.

I''ve been lucky not to have injuries yet this year - but the aches and pains are multiple...not being able to bend my fingers in the mornings is one (dunno what it is), backache, but mostly earache !!! :(
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

dj

Post by dj »

Excuses I've used so far this season:

-Broke my nose: lost 1 month of erging. Didn't want to break anymore blood vessels and wanted to get rid of my black eyes.

-Smashed my thumb and ultimately lost the nail, resulting in no erg for 10 days. I tried to row once with it, but could not maintain a grip.

-Would rather sleep in. I normally workout in the mornings, but sometimes the will of sleep wins out.

dj
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Mike - the government tells us that junk food is bad for us. Didnt expect you to prove them right!!
Almost had the excuse of forgetting my trainers today but I was a good boy and went home to pick them up and then went to the gym. There was a time when I would not have bothered.
Ptruz and dj - welcome to the forum - keep posting.
pb times
gunslinger_
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by gunslinger_ »

1. work. that damned annoying time between rows, that sometimes causes you not to row.

2. I forgot my Ipod. How the hell am I supposed to drown out that annoying top-40 crap that blasts over the gym sound system?

3. forgot my water bottle. No, I can't interrupt my workout to get a drink from the water cooler.

4. Yes honey, I'll be home early so that you can get your (nails, hair, feet, teeth, shopping, surgery) done.

5. Hey! Get off my machine you non-rowing gym-rat muscle-head!

6. You booked us a weekend in 'Vegas? Does the Luxor have a rowing machine? WHAT? YOU DIDN'T EVEN ASK???

7. Recovering from injuries received from 'The Warden' for above comment...
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Once managed to put my back into spasm by sneezing - off the rower for 3 weeks.

Also saw a gym monkey fly off the back of an erg. What's English for schardenfreuder?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
PSims
True Free Spirit

Post by PSims »

Gunslinger - he he he!

Wicked answers to your points:

1. Book "meetings" that don't exist - and go rowing! Excuses also are: Bad traffic, train strikes, got stopped by a colleague for a chat on the way in, go straight to a meeting, worked at another site. Usually all buys a few mins for some extra rowing. :twisted:

2. Keep iPod in gym bag all the time. Charge it at work on PC (rather than working!)

3. Keep bottle in gym bag - or steal someone elses. Or buy 500ml bottle of water from garage on way in.

4. Say yes, then arrive late (same excuses as 1, or blame work)

5. Lean over them and start giving advice about rowing technique. Ask if they will be on there for 1 hour or more. They soon leave.

6. Use a Holiday Inn. The ALL have C2s.

7. So learn to run faster....

Have fun!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

Wrong knickers.
:D
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight