WELCOME to New Members

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

AlanS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Re: WELCOME to New Members

Post by AlanS »

Welcome to the FS forums, Barry. I'm the guy who constantly invites you (and everyone else) to participate in challenges on Facebook. :fswink:

Daz, a little late, but well done on completing your 2km. =D>
Shang-Chi
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Shang-Chi »

Welcome to our fine online club, Barry. I'll guess you'll be competing against me on the 500m, then :wink: My SB is 1:26.3 and did 1:27.1 a few weeks ago. Good luck with the training, mate. [-o< :D
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

Welcome Barry, good to have you with us :-)
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
BJS
Warming up

Post by BJS »

Thanks for the welcome! Yes, Mikkel, I think we will have a go in the 500...:-)))
48 74.5 297lbs
Richard Lindner
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by Richard Lindner »

Hello All,

Don't normally do much forum posting but as I've just joined the Free Spirits I thought I'd introduce myself. I first discovered the C2 in 2001 during a brief fling with the gym. 12 years and 12 kgs later I decided if I didn't do something about my weight and declining health soon I might never get the chance :-(

So I got my own Model D PM3 in Dec 2012 with the aim of continuing my weight loss and improving my overall fitness. Already feeling the benefits although the weight loss seems to have stalled about half way to my target. At the moment I'm deluding myself with the notion that all this rowing is trading fat for muscle :lol:

Looking to keep motivated long term I decided to join a team but didn't want too many commitments/expectations. I read the home page of the Free Spirits website and thought 'perfect'.

Just posted my first sub 8min 2k since 2002, I know it's not very impressive but it was my first goal, it's done and it feels good :-D

Enough about me - I'm off now to set some new goals.
Rich

62yrs 99kg 5' 11"
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Welcome Richard - great to have you with us.

Feel free to ask questions and join in the banter on any of the threads you feel relevant to you.

Keep us posted of your progress. You'll find the positive feedback a real boon when you make a step forward.

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
millie
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by millie »

Welcome Richard and all the best in reaching those new goals - let us know how you are going!
*All PBs set on a Model D on slides
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Welcome Richard, well done on the sub "8 matey =D> =D> =D> " so whats next then? that 500m PB just has to go =P~
millie
Rower and forum addict...

Post by millie »

colin bradley wrote:Welcome Richard, well done on the sub "8 matey " so whats next then? that 500m PB just has to go
I reckon it's the 1000m PB that has to go - so close to 4 minutes, and if you can do a sub-8 min 2k then you can probably do a 1k around 3:50??
*All PBs set on a Model D on slides
Richard Lindner

You're both right. Only been rowing again for 4 months so I'm hoping all my times will come down this season. To lose weight I probably need distance rather than speed so I'm aiming for:
386,000m this season (1,000,000m/season pro-rata).
Set a 60min distance, then beat it at least once this season.
All time PB at 2000m (7:47) this season (maybe) :shock:

Any other ideas?
Rich

62yrs 99kg 5' 11"
AlanS
True Free Spirit

Post by AlanS »

Welcome to the team, Richard. Looks like you've fitted in perfectly already. :fssmile:

Other ideas? Completing a half-marathon?
Richard Lindner

Good idea Alan. I was thinking about the HM but not sure my glutes are ready for that yet. 8-[ Let's see how I do at 60mins first - watch this space
Rich

62yrs 99kg 5' 11"
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Hi Richard, a very warm welcome to Free Spirits.
pb times
Daz
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by Daz »

Hello Richard,

Good luck in the weight loss, I see you have found the weight loss thread, and you are familiar with rowing (I am a complete newb) so can't offer much advice other than well done on achieving sub 8 2k (I am around 10mins 2k lol)
Richard Lindner

Daz,
Don't worry about your times. IMHO it's not the absolute time that matters it's the sense of progress and achievement when you better it. \:D/ Keep at it and your times will tumble as well as your weight.
A word of warning tho' - don't overdo it. Listen to your body and if it feels too hard then it probably is - stop and have a rest day. I know from experience that it's better to rest and recover well than injure yourself and have to have a forced layoff. Good luck.
Rich

62yrs 99kg 5' 11"
Richard Thomas
Warming up

Post by Richard Thomas »

Hi All
Just joined and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm 47 and took up Indoor rowing last year after being introduced to it at my local gym. Not realising at the time it could be so addictive! After being quite active and sporty in my younger days through sprinting, rugby and later on football. This had gradually declined over the years to just once a week 5 aside football. I was starting to feel very sluggish, unfit and a little overweight. I decided to go for it and bought my own c2 model E and haven't looked back! My initial goal with the rowing was to lose approx 18lbs and to improve my general all round fitness and exercise the old ticker and lungs. Now I'm really enjoying the personal competitive aspect of it by always trying to improve my pb's and really enjoy the Rowpro online stuff and watching myself gradually climb the C2 rankings! My wife thinks my c2 is my new love! :lol: I was attracted to the idea of joining a team for the extra motivation, encouragement and comaraderie this provides. Looking forward to contributing in my small way to the teams effort! Oh......and I love the kit! Where do I get one from?!
Age 50 Height 5'10" weight 82kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

Welcome Richard - thank you for joining Free Spirits. Looking forward to seeing your progress up the rankings!!

Re your love affair with you C2, most of us have one of those but it is kind of "love/hate" - tell your wife that it is completely normal and not to worry :D

Re Kit. Stan is your man - it's a long time since we did a kit collation I think, maybe it's time for an ask around to see if we can get enough for a discount - Stan??
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
billwright
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by billwright »

Hearty Welcome Richard.

Looking forward to your posts and accounts of your efforts.

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

Kit Link here for a look see:

http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/content/kit/

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
Richard Thomas
Warming up

Post by Richard Thomas »

Thanks both for your welcome comments and don't worry Plummy I have already told my wife that my relationship with my C2 is not serious competition for her as we fall out too often!! :lol: I will check out the Kit. Thanks again
Richard Lindner

Welcome Richard. I too am a new member and joined for exactly the same reasons. In fact your intro could have been written for me :lol: :lol:
Have you seen the CTC Challenge? FS only need one more to float our 9th boat. Any time is good but if you're like me you'll soon be pushing yourself to get a better time and move up to the next boat :fsbgrin:
Rich

62yrs 99kg 5' 11"
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

Welcome along Richard, I'm only up the road in Brum so I'll bet that we played rugby against each other! :D
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Richard Thomas
Warming up

Post by Richard Thomas »

Thanks Rich & Wolfie. It's a small world Wolfie. Those are some superb times you've acheived. I'm happy to get involved in the challenges Rich. How do I get involved with this one if needed?
stumpy

Post by stumpy »

Welcome Richard great to see you on here matey, looks like were not to far apart with me in Shirley.
Richard Lindner

Richard, Link to the CTC is http://www.c2ctc.com/
You'll need to post a time today for the March challenge. Didn't mean to sound pushy about taking part - you only need to participate if you want to. Not sure if you're into sprints or longer rows but 920m certainly wasn't my favorite distance (far too painful :lol: ) so April's 639m will be even worse #-o
Rich

62yrs 99kg 5' 11"
Richard Thomas
Warming up

Post by Richard Thomas »

Thanks Colin. Just down the road from me then?! It's weirdly comforting knowing that with you and Wolfie there are a couple of other people within the vicinity going through the same pain as you at times! :lol: I got into rowing when I used a personal trainer for a short while & he introduced me to the C2 at Tudor Grange leisure centre last year. I don't go there very often now though after purchasing my own.

Richard, thanks for the link and I didn't think you were being pushy at all. I'm keen to get involved in these challenges for the motivation they give you. I've been doing more of the longer stuff recently, particularly the 10k as I want to lose a little more weight but I do tend to enjoy the sprints (if that's the right word) :lol: I'll look out for Aprils challenge.