Meter board banter

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Rita
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Rita »

jainser wrote:When you say you row at night Rita, how late??
I was told once that exercising too late at night isn't the best for you as it can screw up your sleeping????
No worries there, my sleeping habits are already screwed up. When I am tired I just crash no matter where, on the couch typing on my laptop, in bed watching tv, or during seminars.

I have been eating much better (well at least until the recent spinach scare http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14841731/), and exercising. Two out of 3 is not bad (at least according to Meatloaf). On weekdays, I have been rowing after 10 pm (unless it is Monday night, then around 8:30 during Monday Night Football :wink:). On weekends I can row earlier in the day.

What I need to working on with evening rowing is eating. I'm trying to have a heartier lunch and then eat something light (but substantial, PBJ sandwich and yogurt) around 6, and then a banana about 30 min before I row so that I won't conk out. I'm also trying to figure out what to eat afterward for a light snack (yogurt?, banana?) so I don't go to bed starving, but not on a full belly either. Suggestions?
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Not sure if this is the right thread but what is 'LP' on the times auto sig. got all the others but unsure of this. :?
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

It means low pull
It is basically the fastest speed you have have ever produced on the machine. In my case 1min 22sec/500m - it is of couse totally unsustainable for more than a few seconds.
pb times
jainser

Post by jainser »

Oh I see. Will have a crack at that when I can find the time :!: :D
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
deerworrier

national flag

Post by deerworrier »

how do you get your national flag next to your name instead of the union jack? not anti british or anything just like the idea of the saltire next to my name:)
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

Email Jonathan Lemon using the email link at the bottom of the board. I used to row under the Union flag when I first started, but when racing Gregor it got a bit competitive so I changed to an opposing team :D

P.S. Why deerworrier, or shouldn't I ask? :shock:
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Seek the answer to deerworrier's name in "The Sanctuary" under "Deer stalking and spider slaying".
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit

Post by Mike Channin »

Slow week trying to settle a niggly knee injury (and a few other aches and pains) and I find I've plummeted down the meter board from 12 to 15 again. And don't think I haven't noticed you sneaking up on me Stan!

Will probably have to drop the distances a bit now, in the run up to BIRC, although there is still the not insubstantial matter of Simsy's charity marathon. Erk.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Stan

Post by Stan »

Its not so much sneaking up on you Mike as trying to get away from Rita- its not working though :evil: (great competition Rita! :wink: )
pb times
deerworrier

superb

Post by deerworrier »

tomorrow i am going to row 12633m :) just seen the meter board and i should hit 1million as of tuesday night. so chuffed, when do i get my tee-shirt?
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

Stan wrote:Its not so much sneaking up on you Mike as trying to get away from Rita- its not working though :evil: (great competition Rita! :wink: )
Well, I do admit to checking the meter board to see how far I need to row that day to keep pace with you and Michelle. :wink:

You will catch and surpass me shortly. I'm going to a conference and taking a few days of holiday time in October. I have a feeling I will be erg-less for about 2 weeks. How does one ask "Where can I find a Concept2 rowing machine?" in Italian? (and get them to respond in English!).

Ciao :D
Stan

Post by Stan »

My Italian is non existant unfortunately. I wouldnt worry about falling behind for a couple of weeks Rita as I will be off for 2 weeks in Vegas in November so you can catch up again then. Maybe I can win enough money on the roulette table to buy a model D :lol:
pb times
PSims
True Free Spirit

Like this

Post by PSims »

Dove posso trovi una macchina di rematura Concept2.

Courtesy of http://babelfish.altavista.com !!!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

iain pope
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by iain pope »

ummm.

hello.

:oops:

Not really the right section but i just thought i'd introduce myself to anyone not keeping an eye on the new members forum.

my name is Iain Pope. A journalist (yes yes.... boo hisss) working for a national newspaper in Scotland, and I think I'm your newest member.

Have been erging for a while but lost my way a bit recently.

Hope that I can get a kick out of being a Free Spirit and add some metres and clock some times for the team while I do it.

Am currently 86th on the metre board but confident i can move up quickly.

Have been welcomed by Thomas W-P already, and have him in my sights for the 4k CTC challenge.

Pope
Rita
Free Spirit

Re: Like this

Post by Rita »

PSims wrote:Dove posso trovi una macchina di rematura Concept2.

Courtesy of http://babelfish.altavista.com !!!
Thank you! That was going to be one of the phrases I looked up on Babelfish before I went.

Stan, good luck in Vegas and I hope you do win enough for your own erg. I'm not a gambler, nor have I been to Vegas, so I cannot offer any advice. The few times I have played BlackJack I was gone after a few hands. I am very glad bought my own ModelD and am no longer dependent on going to the university rec center.

Make sure you rack up those meters on me, come November and December, I will be going for the 200K holiday challenge with a vengenance since I will need to get that done before I drive 2 million meters to visit my family for the Christmas holidays :wink: . Yeah, my folks live ~ 1240 miles, or 2 millions meters away.
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Rita, you shouldn't say things like "My folks live 1240 miles away" or the big bad Mr Sims will turn it into an ELM challenge! :lol:

Iain, welcome aboard. As I'm number 81 in the metre board at the moment and determined to stay in the top half I welcome the challenge.

You already have around 600k which is about 4k + change a day. Do you do these via a daily session or do you have monster days and nil days?

Be warned though about the FS effect. I have already done this season what I managed in all of last season. If things keep going I'll double my recorded lifetime metres by Christmas!

Looking forward to seeing you move up that board. Do you have your logbook enabled as well?
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
iain pope

Post by iain pope »

Weberg. sorry for the delay in replying. back at my desk now (nightshift till 1am. hey ho)
I am averaging about 4,200m/day at the mo but I have been completely out of the game for five weeks on paternity leave.
Prior to that i was up at 5,200m/day.
The concept 2 log shows that my average metres/days rowed is hovering around 12,000, which i'm pretty happy with.
Guess that means I have good weeks and bad weeks, but this is a good week and, barring injury, they'll all be good weeks up till Xmas. If i keep it at 10k a day I'll be happy with that.
Today - 5k - 19.49.6 and also 5k - 21.28.1.
Still 86th but Ana W is first in my sights
:wink:
Stan

Post by Stan »

Had to let Rita get away from me today :evil: Woke up this morning with a pretty nasty back pain which has gradually subsided over the course of the day but decided probably better to give rowing a miss today :(
Not sure whats caused it as I felt fine last night - maybe just sleeping in an awkward position. Hope its gone by tomorrow - still got 2 ELM challenges to complete by months end.
pb times
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

You can always hop on the machine and go real slow (good recovery piece anyway). Your back will soon let you know if it aint amused. Just work it gently without stressing it too much and you may help it to recover quicker. But listen to your body and be sensible. Anyway - hope it's better soon.

And get back on and compete with Rita, otherwise she'll chase me down!
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
webberg

Post by webberg »

Iain, congratulations on the baby. Boy, girl or hairdresser? :P

I've just gone over the 10k a day per day rowed mark and am pretty chuffed. I try to do about 4 daya a wekk but things like work keep getting in the way.

Your times are better than me over 5k but then you are 8" taller and a bit heavier (I was at 80 kgs this morning).

Where in Scotland are you? I visit Edinburgh a lot and it might be posisble to meet up for a beer and swap lies about how good we are on the erg one day.

We also have a lot of Scottish members who might be in your neck of the woods.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
BigWaveDave

Post by BigWaveDave »

Iain,

Welcome to Free Spirits and as a relatively new member I can assure you that there is a great deal of support and advice available if you want.

I'm sure that the challenge of the metre board will become very addictive for you - it has for me. I'm now sitting in the 40's and only just 35k short of 1m metres for the season which I want to complete by the end of the month.

happy rowing
BigWaveDave
52 yrs, 6' 14st 11lb
PB's
iain pope

Post by iain pope »

We had a little girl. Mirren Kate MacPherson Pope. now 5 weeks and two days. Thanks for asking.

Don't get me wrong, I'm tickled to be a dad, but i didn't go near a gym for four weeks.

Now trying to get back up to speed on the erg and other insruments of torture. (daily average is 4,200ish but needs to be up at 5,500 to hit the 2million for the season, which is the target i set myself last May).

Have also VERY foolishly made a public pledge in my work gym to lose two stone by Xmas. Starting at 17stone 5.
Even got weekly log sheet done up. works out at a weekly loss of 2/3lb a week, every week.
strangely two other colleagues have joined this madness, albeit with different goals.

Was totally shagged today and had a dose of the sweats before i even got started. I guess that's what an ill-advised 3am assault on bottle and a half of rioja will do for you.

today - 5k - 20.27.1; 5k- 20.59.0; 3k - 13.03.6

not bad considering.

I think that moves me a couple of places up the board.

In response to the question. I Live in Edinburgh but work in Glasgow. Feel free to look me up if your in either town.

How do I go about getting a saltire instead of the Union Jack on the metre board?
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

iain pope wrote:How do I go about getting a saltire instead of the Union Jack on the metre board?
Email Jonathan - his email is at the bottom of the board.
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Just sorted the meter board on last 7 days and was pleasantly surprised to be at number 3 (especially as I've got a blank day on the 23rd).

Temporarily holding off Stan, but Rita is looking menacing at #4.

But at the top of the board is Paul Gould, who clocked up a 60k yesterday. (And this is genuine one day rowing, not all this savig up all your meters for a week and then posting them in one day stuff). I think we've found a Nigel replacement. At this rate he'll go past me around the time of BIRC. Way to go, Paul!!
paulgould

Post by paulgould »

Thanks Mike - just to set the record straight - some days I haven't posted that days distance but been running a day behind - essentially I did a 30000m piece each day from 25-28 sept not 60000m on one day.
Next goal is Lands End-John O Groats challenge - I need another 21000m or so which I will do later on while watching Everton v Man City.

By the way Big Wave Dave I am also an ex-Walton on Thameser - I lived there for five years before coming back to SA last year - any local news from there I would love to hear about.

Happy rowing all!