Meter board banter

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Algorithm

Post by PSims »

That's cos of the way it's worked out.
The day counter clocks over at midnight - leaving us further behind.
We then pile on the metres throughout the day and catch up.

It's one hell of a pace boat!! :lol:
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

JanetS
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by JanetS »

Back at school.
Exposed to all the new viruses
Have stinking cold already which keeps me off ergo :( (haven't developed co-ordination to blow nose with one hand)

I shall now descend down the board.......... drat.
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

Janet,

It _is_ possible to carry on rowing, even when you have a cold BUT, and this is very important, don't do anything over light intensity.

i.e. don't go over 65% - 70% of your WHRR (see HR Training under Training Tips for details of terminology).

This is fine for keeping up your fat burning low intensity rows as these don't stress your system much. (Make sure you don't do more than an hour though) so you don't have give up your weight loss plans or meters.

Just stay on low intensity and it won't make a difference. Of course if it is full blown flu, and even light intensity feels awful then it is time to get off and give up until you're well, but then you'd probably be off work and in bed anyway, and not even be remotely interested in rowing.

Hope this helps.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Thanks Mike, it's helpful to have the % put on the HR.

I'm used to assessing our junior oarsmen; deciding when to send them home & when to allow them to carry on so I'm pretty good at judging for others - tend to try to overdo it myself though :wink:

This time though I'm literally streaming, so short of tying a handkerchief round my face I think I'm in for some enforced rest until I bung up.
(actually - some of hubby's hanky's are quite big - perhaps......? :D nah)
PB:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Lemsip is pretty useful stuff. And any of the other cold cures which may reduce the symptoms (although of course you have to watch the fact the cold is still there).

Good luck with the cold, hope it is gone soon, and let us know how you are. All the best.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

Hello Janet

I use the following for colds and such.

Olbas Oil - this is a Inhalant Decongestant (a bit like vicks vapour rub). This will reduce the flow from your nose by considerable amount, and allow you to breathe better.

ibuprofen (Nurofen), this is a antiInflamitory, I find it decent for colds and good for coughs .

I drink as much water as I can handle to flush the viruses from my system

Rowing wise, with a cold or similar I continue rowing, but drop the pace and the distances a bit.
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Thomas W-P »

JanetS wrote:This time though I'm literally streaming, so short of tying a handkerchief round my face I think I'm in for some enforced rest until I bung up.
I advocate the bog roll twisted up the nose technique. You look like an idiot, but then noone sees me when I row. Mind you, if you are truly streaming this might only last a few minutes before it drips out. Eugh!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

I recommend

1. Hot date
2. Hot dinner
3. Glass or several of whisky (insert fav drink here)
4. Hot s3x
5. Lots of sleep.

What? :lol:

Always works for me. 8)
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
PSims
True Free Spirit

Dr Sims is IN

Post by PSims »

Hot toddy before bed:

- Milk
- Whisky
- Large dose of honey (preferably from a reputable beekeeper - e.g. me)

& Vicks Vapor Rub (applied by same beekeeper!) :shock:
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Thanks for the concern & the advice guys! :D

Mike & John - Lemsip + olbas being used in profusion - has the benefit of scaring the cats away as well. :wink:

Thomas - bog roll technique works well until you sneeze....... :shock:

Webberg - I'm putting your plan into my training program on at least a weekly basis. Shame to confine an evening like that just to when you're feeling cr4p :D

Mr Sims! - I forwarded your suggestion to hubby - unfortunately he got confused. Vicks in the hot toddy and as for the rub..... well let's just say 'sticky' & leave it at that! :D

I shall try an ergo tonight.
Sticky tape over the split & this might be the time to break my mental block of 1hour as I can forgive a really poor result!
PB:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Hey Jainser! Are you on a bit of a charge on the meter board or what? Did someone put a rocket up the Shrek-like green ar$e?? Give me a wave as you whizz past me!

Seriously, well done, mate. Not content with beating my times, you're now going to demote me down the meter board. Hope you're going to bring that form to BIRC for the Spirits!
jainser

Post by jainser »

Still on my 500k+ month Mike. Looks like I've got myself in a right battle here, what with Mr & Mrs Seidman, the Spanish fella with his dog and your goodself it's a real good one :D
Having a so so tough time with the better half though, trying to juggle rowing and 'my life' - Don't know how these monster metres guys do it. Reet would go spare if I spent THAT much time locked in the garage rowing away!!!
Already looking forward to October so I can ease up a little :wink:
Engineered for Eating, Designed for Drinking
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Well, I managed to hold you off for another day Jainser, but I can't see it lasting. Serious respect for the 500k+ month - great goal to have. I managed 646k in July, which is the most I'd ever done by a VERY long way.

And as for the Spanish guy with the dog - I thought it was the dog who was doing the meters. Next you'll be catching up Tim and Fred Katt!

Looking down the board, I notice that Stan is on a bit of a roll and is sneaking up on me again.

Oh and for anyone around me on the meter board, you've probably just completed the ELM FS Extreme Challenge for Lands End to John O Groats (1406k) so put up your results!
TomB
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by TomB »

Jainser raised an interesting point in his mail about his "better half" not appreciating the time being put into his rowing. I have also seriously upped my metres since joining Free Spirits and my wife has made several comments using words such as "addicted", for instance. I have tried to encourage her to also use the erg (she is a once a week 2K user) but I have had little success - so far. I would really appreciate suggestions from our female team members as to how I could encourage her to enjoy the erg? I have failed miserably to get her to take up golf so my track record is poor. Also any help from male members who have succeeded in getting girlfriend/wife to share their rowing hobby would be welcome
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Hey Tom
I've similarly failed to get hubby into ergoing - partly because he regards all rowers/ergers as amusingly bonkers!
He also uses the 'addiction' word - but not too badly - I'm really bad tempered when I don't ergo so he's aware of the benefits :D
I'll be interested to read the responses - I'd like to get him exercising.....

TV in the erg room is the only suggestion I have - it's worked wonders for me in the past & I'm really missing it now I don't have it....
PB:
webberg

Post by webberg »

Tom B, my wife also uses words like "sad" and "old" to describe me and my rowing. Thankfully though she knows that I have obsessive traits and puts up with it.

She is also a member of FS though. I have encouraged her to use the rower and she is starting to get into it again now that the light fades by 7:30 ish and she can't run. She is now putting in 30 minute stints about 3/4 times a week and well on her way.

I have shown her some technique improvements (or taught her bad habits as the case may be) and her average splits are coming down nicely. Pointing out that she is in CTC boat VI and I am in VIII also helps.

In general I think women are much more balanced than us men about their particular passions or perhaps just too busy to have time to "waste" on rowing.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
jainser

Post by jainser »

Think I have a cunning plan - get the missus on the rower as well. Then she might understand my obession with the dam thing :wink:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Have been overtaken by Shrek again. Right, that's it - getting on the ergo in 5 minutes...

(What motivation this is - was feeling really lazy today and not been having a good week on the machine, but I am NOT letting that ogre have it easy!)
Stan

Post by Stan »

Having a great contest with Rita and Denise for 17th spot. Full of respect for the Ogre man for leaving us in his wake. Pleased to note I am now virtually on schedule to complete Mikes tour de France challenge on Free spirits Extreme.
pb times
jainser

Post by jainser »

In the great words of the big Green Man
"Grrrr I'm here till Thursday" :D :D
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Just got on to post my meters having been rowing for most of the last 2 hours, only to find the sneaky big green man has gone and done some more meters since I posted and he's _STILL_ ahead of me!!!

I've been well and truly Shrekked! Well done Pete! (and you're currently top of the board for the last 7 days too!)

And I was feeling so pleased with myself for having got past both Seidmans, the Spanish man with the dog, and even made some ground on Tim D. and Fred Katt...
webberg

Post by webberg »

It's now 11:29 in darkest Hampshire and I've just posted my effort today. Can't sleep yet and have to be on the train at 6:45! :evil:

I know I have moved up a few places but that Mr Schapp seems to do a 30 min piece every day but posts only once a week. When He does I'll be back down.

It seems only a few days ago I was chuffed at going through 500k and now staring down the barrel at 600k.

Two days off now though. 8)
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Rita
Free Spirit

Post by Rita »

Stan,
Just so you know the 15,000 + meters were rowed on Wednesday, but my internet was down so they didn't get posted until this morning. I'm carbo loading now and will easily do 10 k tonight :D .

At least by rowing at night, I know what I have to do to keep pace with everyone in the UK.
jainser

Post by jainser »

When you say you row at night Rita, how late??
I was told once that exercising too late at night isn't the best for you as it can screw up your sleeping????
jainser

Post by jainser »

jainser wrote:Think I have a cunning plan - get the missus on the rower as well. Then she might understand my obession with the dam thing :wink:
Well i got the better half in the saddle and shes enjoyed it (so far) Still can not understand me and why I go on it for so long though.
Still having problems clocking in the big distances though. Done a 20k this morning and when I mentioned I might go back on for another row when I get in from work she wasn't overly impressed. Will have to play it by ear when I get in. :roll: