BMI - and how hopeless it is...

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

ReducingFB
Stop posting and start rowing!

BMI - Ugh!!

Post by ReducingFB »

alistairkbs wrote: Scales showed 17stone exactly so hope to logging the 16st x for the first time in over 20 years next week.

Alistair
Now you've really left me behind Alistair. Am still languishing in mid 17s :( . Lot of work on lately, and rowing has been erratic - got to get back to the routine. Hope to join you in the 16s soon.

Anyone any opinions on BMI. For 25 max, it calculates 14 st 2 lbs for me. I weighed that when I was thin as a rake in my late teens/early twenties (I know it's a long time ago - but the Rolling Stones were touring even then !) Seems out of line to me

RFB
65; 6'-4" 20 stone (aug 2014) - looking forward to a healthy retirement, when I recover the Equitable losses
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by alistairkbs »

I agree that BMI standard classification does not work on the evry muscular/tall. It does for me cos even at 13 stone (the ebst Ive ever managed as an adult after a year of water rowing and summer as a labourer on a building site) I was overweight.

You need to get your waist down belwo 40" as above that riskd of heart disease increase and if you are tall and muscular then check that your waist is less than your hip measurement - if so trhen probably OK.

Next goal for me is 15st 10lb -100kg. BMI 30 for me = 14st 6 lbs when Ill be just overweight rather than obese and that would be cool.

Alistair
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

My mother-in-law clipped me an article about obesity and the BMI (gee thanks for that pointed remark). Anyway, one tit-bit in there was that Jonah Lomu is considered obese because he is so heavy with respect to his height. I was obese when a lean mean rowing machine aged 23 training 25 hours a week for the University 1st VIII.

The article talked about waist vs hip as a better measure and the wais < 40". I think I am (currently) screwed on them, so maybe my mother-in-law has a point!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

Thomas W-P wrote:My mother-in-law clipped me an article about obesity and the BMI (gee thanks for that pointed remark). Anyway, one tit-bit in there was that Jonah Lomu is considered obese because he is so heavy with respect to his height. I was obese when a lean mean rowing machine aged 23 training 25 hours a week for the University 1st VIII.

The article talked about waist vs hip as a better measure and the wais < 40". I think I am (currently) screwed on them, so maybe my mother-in-law has a point!
I think we read the same article (or at least the reporter's used the same source matierial, the paper mine was from was the Irish Independent I guess), :lol: I didn't find the article also but my mother cut out the article for me :lol:

Great job Rita, it's great doing sprints on a higher drag machine then your used to . For my 500 I went from a 80+ drag machine to a 150+ drag machine, it was great to see the low splits and feel different parts of my body stressed then normal
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
ReducingFB

At last a PB

Post by ReducingFB »

Thomas W-P wrote: The article talked about waist vs hip as a better measure and the wais < 40". I think I am (currently) screwed on them, so maybe my mother-in-law has a point!
You and me both Thomas. After Alistair's offering this morning I was disappointed to find my waist at 43" - at least my hip measurement was 45", but back to the drawing board.

However - at last a new PB for the 2k at 7:09.6 - 5 secs improvement. Kept a consistent rate around 1:48 for the first 1500-1600, then managed 1:46 for the last quarter. :D

Heart rate reached 157, but still below my 165 max and no ill effects. Does a sub 7 beckon :D

RFB
65; 6'-4" 20 stone (aug 2014) - looking forward to a healthy retirement, when I recover the Equitable losses
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

I split the BMI stuff off and then realised that you had a PB in that last post. We are now very close to each other - I just wish I could get the damn RowPro to work then we could push each other under the 7:00 barrier.

I have put 6:58 as my projected time for BIRC. Are you going?

Anyway on the hip/waist front I am a winner too. I used my wife's dental floss and found that my hips are about 2cm bigger than my waist. Yey!
ReducingFB

Bad BIRC day !!

Post by ReducingFB »

Thomas W-P wrote:I split the BMI stuff off and then realised that you had a PB in that last post. We are now very close to each other - I just wish I could get the damn RowPro to work then we could push each other under the 7:00 barrier.

I have put 6:58 as my projected time for BIRC. Are you going?

Anyway on the hip/waist front I am a winner too. I used my wife's dental floss and found that my hips are about 2cm bigger than my waist. Yey!
I used a piece of string and a steel tape to do mine. Unfortunately can't make BIRC - bad day - shame as only 25 miles from the NEC. Might try to get there for the afternoon to view and meet some people.

RFB
Thomas W-P

Re: Bad BIRC day !!

Post by Thomas W-P »

ReducingFB wrote:I used a piece of string and a steel tape to do mine. Unfortunately can't make BIRC - bad day - shame as only 25 miles from the NEC. Might try to get there for the afternoon to view and meet some people.
Maybe you could be a late entry (for fun) on the day if it is still on when you arrive? They do that now I think.
Concept 2 wrote:The Bullpen. This area is where late entries, and competitors who find themselves ineligible to race in the category they are entered, will race. All such competitors will be advised on race day their race time and machine number. Competitors who race in the Bullpen will not be eligible for medals. They will be listed at the bottom of the appropriate race category when the official results are finally posted. All times will be included in the Concept Ranking.
Regarding the steel tape - I dare not measure the dental floss. But I did wear braces today (partly as a joke to scandalise my wife) because my trousers are starting to fall down.
ReducingFB

Re: Bad BIRC day !!

Post by ReducingFB »

Thomas W-P wrote:Regarding the steel tape - I dare not measure the dental floss. But I did wear braces today (partly as a joke to scandalise my wife) because my trousers are starting to fall down.
Yes, I went through the trouser problem in the spring - bought new pairs two sizes down, and they aren't as tight as they were now, with belt in several notches. Everyone comments on my suits looking too big now - waiting to decide the strategic point to purchase a couple of new ones - shame had just got M&S to put 50L on the peg, now don't need them any more. :twisted:

RFB
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

I measured. Ouch. 116cm :(

But that is fewer than before :)