How Does Everyone Have Their Rower/Computer Arranged?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

tbever

How Does Everyone Have Their Rower/Computer Arranged?

Post by tbever »

I am new to the Free Spirits, but I have been rowing for a while. I was wondering how everyone has their computer set up relative to their rower (ie for online competition). I have my rower connected to a desktop computer to the left of the rowing machine, with the monitor off to my left sitting on a desk which is about 30 inches off the floor (standard desk height). I have the monitor on a turntable (which was designed for an IMAC) so that I can face it the other direction when I am using it for other purposes. It is not an ideal setup for rowing though because I end up having to look at about a 60 degree angle off to the left. I have tried a mutiple monitor setup but rowpro does not seem to move over to the second monitor. I have also tried using a TV as a second monitor but the colors are wrong and the resolution is bad. How does everyone else have their machines set up at home?
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

Hi, and a big welcome to Free Spirits :D . Sorry cant help you on this one as I row in the gym with no software :( . Didnt want you to feel ignored though. Hopefully one of our clever members will notice this and come up with a brilliant suggestion :lol:
pb times
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

tbever - welcome! I have not yet achieved the holy gril of on-line rowing but am more than ready to try - I even started a thread on this but only one person was up for the challenge and he went on holiday :(

I have my laptop on a cardboard box about 10cm to the right of where the handle comes forward and 2/3 the way down the slide. I can type 2 letters per stroke on a gentle row and have been known to IM!

I am very keen to try out a live row using RowPro - I live in the UK (GMT+1 at the moment) and with small kids the best time to try this out is about 8pm for me.

I would really like to see some sort of regular Free Spirits paddle/race using RowPro if it is possible. Could be fun!
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Derrylad
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Rowpro

Post by Derrylad »

Hey Thomas: Sounds like good craic!

I can install Rowpro on my laptop and give you a session next week ( probably around 9 ish if possible ). I know you get 10 connections for free so I may start using it again. Have rowed a few races against other competitors and found it quite fun.

How about it ?

Rob
41, 6ft 7/8inches, 253lbs ( about 115kg )
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Thomas W-P

Re: Rowpro

Post by Thomas W-P »

Derrylad wrote:I can install Rowpro on my laptop and give you a session next week ( probably around 9 ish if possible ). I know you get 10 connections for free so I may start using it again. Have rowed a few races against other competitors and found it quite fun.
Excellent. But you need a handicap since your times are way better than mine. I will try and hack the software and make you row in treacle. Or perhaps we should race 500m - me my first after a warm up, and you your last in a 10 row pyramid!

Seriously, how can we handicap it? Heart rate?
Derrylad
Free Spirit

Sounds good to me.

Post by Derrylad »

Hi Thomas:

My splits are usually around 1:56 - 1:59 for a HR of 130.

What are your average splits and I can work something out ? Also what didstance do you want to cover ?

Rob
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

At 130HR I do 10km in 45 minutes which is a split of 2:15. Some small gap there!

Maybe the challenge could be for me to try and get your heart rate above 140 with you keeping pace in a 5000m? I would do a 5000m in about 19:25 or a little better if I went flat out.
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Or you could always give me a head start based on our PB gaps.

Or we could just go for a gentle paddle...
Derrylad
Free Spirit

Post by Derrylad »

Hi Thomas,

a. How about I give you a 1 minute head start on a 5k, then I will catch you up and pace you to the end. That way, you get to shoot for a PB and I can push you along ?

b. A gentle paddle ( say 5 or 10k )

c. Relaxing row with 500 normal, 500 fast for 5 to 10k

What do you say ?

PS. Youll have to give me a chance to play with the software, I have just installed it on my laptop and will test it out in the morning. I did have it installed on my old laptop but that died 2 weeks ago.

Need to set up my boat etc... Looks like it has improved since I used it last ( think it was version 1.8 )

Rob
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Thomas W-P

Re: 5k

Post by Thomas W-P »

Derrylad wrote:Relaxing row with 500 normal, 500 fast for 5 to 10k
That seems best. Might sharpen me for the CTC (which I have not yet tried for. Sll this seems to contradict my "I want to lose weight" thread, but hey, that is why I posted it. My target for the CTC is 1:30. BUt also need to do those fat burning miles.
Derrylad
Free Spirit

Cool

Post by Derrylad »

Excellent, Well I will try and sort something out for next week, sorting out a time is going to be the fun bit, my youngest is 4 months old so still trying to get him in to bed before 10:00. Will get something going though.

Will talk tomorrow or Monday.

Rob
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

ReducingFB
Stop posting and start rowing!

Definite neck ache

Post by ReducingFB »

With C2 upstairs (but likely to be relegated to garage when Winter comes) and PC plus broadband connection downstairs at other end of house, looks like I have the choice between severe neck dislocation or investment in a wireless broadband connection.

Will keep you posted with progress, then hope to join in. Perhaps we should try MSN Messenger as well to ensure the opponents are really sweating! :oops:

RFB
65; 6'-4" 20 stone (aug 2014) - looking forward to a healthy retirement, when I recover the Equitable losses
Thomas W-P

Re: Cool

Post by Thomas W-P »

Derrylad wrote:my youngest is 4 months old so still trying to get him in to bed before 10:00
Two words for you - should probably be in a new thread.

"Gina Ford" - (The contented little baby book)
Derrylad
Free Spirit

Rowpro

Post by Derrylad »

Hi Thomas.

I tested out Rowpro this morning, looks a bit less clunky than when I used it before. I set a couple of paceboats for the 10k, had a 600m warm up and a 600m cool down. Went throught he motions and managed a new PB ( very pleased ), the only thing is that it has not saved the row on rowpro, but it has logged them on my logcard. I have looked through the docs and can not find any reference to that. I am still on the 20day free evalution ( would that be the reason ? )

Help

Rob
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Had you set yourself up as a user? I have no idea otherwise. Well done on the PB.

Have you had any success since your posting?

I had a bright idea about how we could both get a decent work out rowing 500m intervals - rate limit you! e.g. a pyramid where I row at 24,26,28,30,28,26,24 and you row at 18,20,22,24,22,20,18. Mind you I suspect that you can pull a 1:30 500m at 24 which might mean we have to push your rate lower!

I have had a thought that you may not be able to do the internet stuff unless you have paid? Try clicking the internet tab.