weight lost during rowing

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

BartMan
Rower and forum addict...

weight lost during rowing

Post by BartMan »

I rowed a 10k last night, and because Mrs BartMan bought some flash new scales, I happened to weight myself before I went to the gym, and then afterwards.

So in the 36 odd minutes of rowing, I lost 2.2 kilos of weight - just about 5 pounds for our yank contingent.

Anyone else been doing that weight in thing?

And it is the middle of winter here, so some of you in Pommyland under the heatwave must be almost vanishing after a long row...!!!
Last edited by BartMan on Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love rowing, I hate rowing, I love rowing, I hate rowing...

Derrylad
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Bartman:

Post by Derrylad »

Hi Bartman,

That kind of follows the same pattern as me. On a half marathon I can loose beteen 8 and 9 lbs. Soon put most of it back on in fluid. When I used to play basketball many years ago I could loose up to a stone in a game ( playing basketball was a bit like doing a marathon bleep test where you go from baseline to baseline - killer, those guys are mega fit ).

Rob
41, 6ft 7/8inches, 253lbs ( about 115kg )
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

First time I rowed a marathon I did it as a single continuous piece with no breaks at all, and didn't take on any fluid. Over the 3 hours 10 mins I lost 4.5 kg in weight (which was quite a lot, as I only weighed about 74.5 at the start back then). Of this, approx. half a kilo would have been direct energy usage (fat and carbs), and the rest dehydration. Not to be recommended.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Water, water everywhere, yet not a drop to drink....

Post by PSims »

Mike - that's helpful info - cos it tells me I need to have 4 x 1 Litre water bottles prepared before I start!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

During the recent marathons, I was taking on about 2 pints in the hour before starting, about 3-4 during, and then several more straight afterwards. This seemed to work out ok.

Interestingly on a marathon, about half the fluid loss seems to come from sweating, and the other half from respiration. (If you're in an air-con gym, you can sometimes see the clouds of moisture in each breath)

Of course if you're significantly bigger and/or heavier than me, then you may need correspondingly more.

Oh, and always have a few spare around in case you feel drier than you expected. Is a pain if you have to go fetch more.

And while on the subject, if you're rowing in heat, you'll find the water/fluid is positively warm (from room temp) after a few hours. Initially I thought this was bad, but in hindsight I realised it is much better than downing large amounts of ice cold liquid which can annoy the stomach. Seems disgusting drinking warm water, but when you're in the last stages of a marathon, it still tastes great...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Food & Drink

Post by PSims »

I sweat a lot more than most - so I might have to have more than you!
Did 2 hours this morning and went through 2 Litres - with a bellyful of water before starting. I've also heard that the body absorbs warm water more rapidly than cold as well.

Did you need to take on any food during your marathons?

If so, what did you choose to eat (I guess McDonalds is out?)
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Derrylad
Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

WATER

Post by Derrylad »

I very rarely take water on board before rowing ( perhaps that is a bad thing ), I geneally chew AirWaves as this keeps the mouth moist. Drinking tons of water would probably make me sick.

Rob
41, 6ft 7/8inches, 253lbs ( about 115kg )
www.sprucemeadows.co.uk