'The Committee'

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

redshell
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

'The Committee'

Post by redshell »

I feel strongly that all the Free Spirits' pages should be available to all members. If we have something to say let's put it where everyone can see it. We are all equal members - NONE are more equal than others! As you may have gathered, I am generally against the formation of a committee; I am completely opposed to a secret committee set up on a self-elected basis. We are some 140 rowers, what right have a small number to regulate the majority? If it does not seek to regulate, then what purpose does it serve?
Please let not lose sight of the fun element
Gooner Neil
True Free Spirit

Post by Gooner Neil »

This post has come about as a result of a musinderstanding and concern raised re integrity and dialogue that took place between a few individuals, I being one. Michelle you and others are aware that those discussions were not available to all and quite rightly so as the matter was delicate and could have caused damage to the individual and team. Thankfully that matter was resolved and no harm was done to us or the individuals reputation. An honest mistake now rectified.

From time to time difficult issues will have to be addressed. Not everyone will have the desire or inclination to get involved. Like Thomas is our moderator for this site we will need someone to take on this mantle.

How who etc I don't know but the presence of such does not suddenly mean we row without fun.

I am aware of the e mail you refer to and did receive it myself. I am not ashamed of it but do realise it could be taken out of context. Surely the greatest form of democracy is regulation by those who care. If and when a committe orders me to row 50k a day at 1.50 pace or be flogged then yes I will object, but make it 2.15 pace I'll just grumble and say it was never like this under Wombat!

For what its worth Michelle you are our leader due to events that led to the formation of this great team. Yes everyone is equal and if regulation is required then let it be done openly (as long as there are no Spurs fans).
Neil 40 LWT (in both senses) 74k 5'08" former British record holder 100km 35-39lwt
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

History...

Post by Thomas W-P »

I am tempted to remove this thread with my demonic and sinister moderation powers... Mwah ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaa. :twisted:

But actually redshell is spot on in her concerns and I think it probably needs to be discussed openly. Things just happen so fast in this team/club/community/whatever and then they get accepted. I don't like the idea of secrets in the team, but accept that sometimes they need to be kept!

What is the "committee" and why did it come about?
When I joined FS we communicated by email. This was a disaster so we moved to the thread on the concept 2 site. This too grew unmanageable so I set up this web site. A recent blizzard of emails that were "off forum" confused the hell out of me, so I set up a forum where they could be discussed openly within the circle of people sending the emails. I called the forum "The Committee". I could have called it "The Brains Trust", or "I am confused by all this email malarky". So, there is a hidden forum for these parties to discuss that one issue and it is considered a place to discuss "difficult team topics". Other threads have appeared there since, most of which could/should be open. I don't think that this is a conspiracy.

My opinion
Personally, I like the idea of a group of interested people "steering the ship". I do not want to be told what to row, when and how fast, but I do want to think that someone is taking the time to ensure that Free Spirits is a going concern that is still happy, still fun and still here! I am certain that there will be things that come up from time to time that should be kept off the public forum that would inevitably be dealt with via email. Having the "hidden to most" forum allows more things to be made open that would maybe be kept between the few. Personally I think that anyone who cares enough to want it should be given access.

What is the next step?
I will happily lock/delete/rename/move the threads from the "committee" forum if that is what people think is the right thing. redshell's post has made me think that some are in the wrong place anyway.

I await other peoples' opinions with interest.

Thomas
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by alistairkbs »

Hard to comment when I have no idea what has been discussed. I have no problem with a commitee and they are often the self selected and or motivated, however the Committees exchangs shoulkd be as transparent as possible.
I dont feel strongly and will continue to row for Free Spirits
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

In the spirit of openness I should add that there is another hidden forum on this site, that only moderators can see.

It is used for testing, mostly filled with posts by me swearing about the £ problem (solved on some machines but not all!)
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

I was aware of the off forum discussion, though not that it had been resolved amicably, which I am absolutely delighted to hear. Michelle, as always is absolutely correct in her post. Thomas has however put forward a sensible argument for some sort of steering group.
I get an awful lot of enjoyment from this club so long may it continue
pb times
mash
Stop posting and start rowing!

Commitee

Post by mash »

I don't mind either way as long as I'm left to row at whatever pace, time and distance I like.

Many of us came to FS due to a heated email exchange so I wouldn't like that to happen again.

At the end of the day, FS gives me and many of the other team members an incentive to row further or faster or both and if something does come along that upsets team members then those members will probably vote with their feet and leave. The only constant in all this is that whatever happens we will row whether for FS or anyone else.

As long as I can row I'm happy and as long as Jonathan Lemon keeps putting more metres on the board I'll chase him.

Keep up the good work FS, we are the Borg, resistance is futile, join the collective!

Mash
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
Gregor Andrews
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Gregor Andrews »

I like the idea of the sub-forum as it stops my email inbox getting flooded with emails.

There are some sensitive subjects that shouldn't be made available to everyone who looks at this site - remember you don't have to be a member of Free Spirits to be able to see this forum.
6'6" 1971
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Gregor Andrews wrote:I like the idea of the sub-forum as it stops my email inbox getting flooded with emails.

There are some sensitive subjects that shouldn't be made available to everyone who looks at this site - remember you don't have to be a member of Free Spirits to be able to see this forum.
Good point. Maybe we make it viewable to registered users only? That would cover redshell's concerns. Easily done.
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by webberg »

Here's my two pennyworth.

Firstly, the issue that indirectly led to the suggestion of some guidelines being issued has been resolved amicably and is water under the bridge. It did however indicate that there were some sensitivities that could have been dealt with more easily had there been either some common approach between all FS' or a forum (closed to non members but open to all Free Spirits) where clarification could have been sought.

Secondly, the group between whom the issue was debated were selected on no other criteria than all were active on the website and therefore more likely to have an opinion and therefore able to offer an alternative view. We have all been in situations where our perspective has been warped, potentially resulting in embarrassment or worse. Consulting with others is consequently a sensible first step.

Thirdly, there are some issues that could damage the team. The original motivation for bringing this discussion thread into the open was a desire NOT to see the team's name called into disrepute. There was no personal interests involved. This is a healthy reaction and demonstrates that all of us have a proprietorial approach to the team which should be (and is being) encouraged.

Fourthly, the semantics of labelling any group a "Committee" are perhaps inappropriate. The original "members" of this group had (and have) no desire to direct, control, lead or otherwise influence how, why, where, when or how we row our metres. I don't know what a more appropriate title could have been but the label is irrelevant.

Fifthly, it is important to all of us that the team is protected from external cynics who are always attracted to success. A visit to the US forum will demonstate how destructive some people can be. There are those who delight in knocking down the achievement of others and in diverting and subverting discussion threads that are useful or interesting to the rowing community as a whole. Should any member of our team (or indeed the whole team) be attacked in such a way I for one would want to be in a position to support that person having full confidence in their integrity. The existence of a group of forum active members with whom sensitive issues can be discussed in confidence can only aid that process.

Lastly, in weighing up whether such a group should operate with complete transparency or be more circumspect is a difficult question. On the one hand it is a very good principle that the forum should be open to all. On the other, some matters are likely to involve embarrassment or a possible denting of personal esteem and as such are unlikely to be shared on a public forum. For these I consider there should be a way of keeping the issue private. I suspect therefore that both open and private communication channels are needed.

On a practical matter I would prefer to see the "Committee" label removed. I would suggest "Panel" as better. This should imply a group of people who have a range of interests connected to our closed little world against whom ideas and issues can be bounced. It removes any suggestion of guidance or control.

In conclusion (with apologies for length), the motivation here was to protect the TEAM because we all believe that the TEAM is good for all of us and is worth preserving.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

The Panel is now open - for registered users only...