The Pete Plan etc

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: The Pete Plan

Post by strider77 »

Well done Ian, nice OCD =D> :lol:

I did a similar session last night

3 x 1670m with 5 mins rest

19:31.4-5010-1:56.9-34
6:31.2-1:57.1-32
6:28.9-1:56.4-34
6:31.3-1:57.1-36

I did plan on doing 4 but I am still recovering from a 3 week bout of cold/chect infection and my legs went early on the 4th rep :oops:

I might join you guys on here if I may with a view to chasing Peter down over the next year :mrgreen: :D

Some really good quality stuff going on here guys ^O^
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

strider77 wrote:Well done Ian, nice OCD =D> Image
I did plan on doing 4 but I am still recovering from a 3 week bout of cold/chect infection and my legs went early on the 4th rep :oops:

Can't say I know anyone that hasn't been hit by that this winter, so know your pain - good luck on getting stuck into your Plan :)

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Welcome to the PP madhouse Alan! Enjoy your training and good luck with your progress
strider77 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:57 am I might join you guys on here if I may with a view to chasing Peter down over the next year :mrgreen: :D
I saw that :twisted: :fswink:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

It was time for the hardest PP session of the week last night, the waterfall with a target pace of 1:55.5:

rsz_unbenannt(9).jpg
rsz_unbenannt(9).jpg (19.83 KiB) Viewed 1552 times
The first rep felt really heavy, but it got better in the second one. Maybe I need to sharpen up my warmup? It seems as the gap between warm up pace and session pace gets bigger (warm up pace stays the same, sessions are getting quicker) the first rep is a big "shock". Anyway, like I said, the second rep was tough but felt better than the first one. There was a bit left in the final rep, so I managed to bring the overall pace down by 1.3 seconds.

Looking back at the three weeks I'm into the PP now I was able to bring down the sessionpace by about 4.5 seconds. I'm still not where I want to be but things are moving in the right direction.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Good going Grobi!

Messy session this morning. Should have have been 3x2km, but I (probably subconsciously to avoid this piece) fiddled around with the df which broke any rhythm I might have had :|

Only went for 2x2km, neither at pace, and finished with a couple of 1 minute sprints. Oh well.

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Don't worry Ian, you'll be back at old pace next time. But leave that damper alone! :wink: :fswink:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Well done Peter -I would love that 2k time just as a standalone piece at the moment =D>

Ian, I agree with Peter we all get days like that I reckon when I was training seriously I had at least one handle down session or failed session a week sometime two ! :oops:
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Cheers both :)
Caratacus
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Caratacus »

Was going to do the 8x750m today but realised I hadn't been doing any of the longer steady sessions so opted for a 10k SR 18. One day I'll get a perfect OCD row Image
Felton H
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Its still a nice piece Felton =D>
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Exceptional control Felton!

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Almost a perfect OCD row there Felton, well done! :D

Mine was quite the opposite... Moment of truth last night with another 30 minutes test. Last week I rowed 7703m (1:56.8 ) and with the progress I had made during the week I was hoping for a 1:56.0 pace at least, if not quicker. Well, this is how it went:

tabelle.jpg
tabelle.jpg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
grafik.jpg
grafik.jpg (19.02 KiB) Viewed 1490 times
This felt tough from the beginning, even holding a 1:57 pace or marginally quicker was hard. Nevertheless I was able to bring the pace down to 1:56.7 with 14 minutes to go. So I was on track for a better distance, but also trouble started (again). I had to slow down for a couple of strokes, picked it up again, then again had to slow down with seven minutes to go. At this point overall pace had krept up to 1:57.0, so all I had gained before was lost. I tried to speed up again, counting from minute to minute now. With two minutes to go I was back at 1:56.7, now all or nothing, counting down every 15 seconds and pulling like mad to finally finish with an improvement of 20 m.

I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed as I had hoped for a bigger improvement. On the other hand I avoided a worsening, so pleased about that.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

It's another improvement so got to be pleased with that, Peter
Felton H
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Definitely agree with the above - well done on the improvement :)

Round 6, Week 8: 8x750, 1r

Wasn't looking forward to this at all given recent ropey rows. My last attempt at this meant a target pace of a gnats whisker under 1.55.5.....

The heart rate trace tells the story. First rep felt absolutely fine, and was too quick really. Around rep 4 the wheels fell off (heart rate goes a little chaotic) ;)

However, it all held together for a small overall improvement, and I hit my pace target (admittedly aided by a sprint finish). Almost looking forward to the 7km tomorrow :) ImageImage

Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Well held together Ian
Felton H
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

It seems we're in a similar position Ian, being both at a stage in the PP where it's getting more and more difficult to gain further progress. As you are following the PP for much longer than I am your situation is even tougher. If I read it correctly the last time you rowed the 8x750 session you finished with 23:02.7 (1:55.2). So a really small improvement, but like with my latest row, an improvement is still an improvement. So I agree with Felton, well done for seeing this one through! =D>

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

That's spot on how I feel. I'm slightly minded to shake up the pieces to shake the routine up a little.

Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

My turn for the 8x750m. Target was to match the 1:50.1 I did for the 12x500m but felt quite strong and managed a gradual negative split with a fast last Image
Felton H
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Very impressive session there Felton, 1.5 seconds quicker than target pace and yet a very relaxed stroke rate! =D>

Time for the 5x1500/5'r yesterday with a target pace of 1:55.8:

rsz_table.jpg
rsz_table.jpg (25.37 KiB) Viewed 1474 times
This went better than anticipated to be honest. After the very hard 30 minutes @ 1:56.5 the day before I was a bit intimidated by the target pace of 1:55.8. Nevertheless it went well. It's always a good sign when I have the physical and mental capability of playing with the pace and trying to row every rep exactly at target pace (although I failed utterly in rep #3 :D ). Before the final rep I had reckoned that I'd need a 1:51.8 in the last rep for an overall pace of 1:55.0. Every tenth below that would be a bonus, so very pleased with a 1:50.5 in the final interval and a new target pace of 1:54.7 :D

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Great set there Peter Really hammered it in the last rep. Regarding my stroke rate, I am deliberately trying to keep it as low as possible until the last rep when I can hopefully let loose a little which is my general plan for a 5k/6k time trial
Felton H
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

It's nice to see others have the same definition of failure

Very well done Grobi.

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

It was time for the 4x2k/5'r last night. This session is a bit harder than the previous 5x1500/5'r, nevertheless target pace was 0.3 seconds quicker (1:55.5 vs. 1:55.8 ):

image-2018-02-01.jpg
image-2018-02-01.jpg (13.43 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
No price in the OCD competition but happy with the session anyway. The first rep felt a bit "heavy" but it got better in the following reps. I knew I had to row a 1:51.5 in the final 2k for an overall improvement of 1 second in pace. Very pleased that I could beat that and ended up with an improvement by 1.1 seconds in pace :D

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

„Highlight“ of the week last night with the dreaded waterfall, the hardest of the PP sessions I‘m following. Target pace from last time was 1:54.2, so 1.6 seconds quicker than the easier 5x1500 session two days earlier. No wonder I was dreading this session the whole day. This is how it went:

B4896A93-EA46-4612-9A9F-7CC66C39804C.png
B4896A93-EA46-4612-9A9F-7CC66C39804C.png (23.93 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
The first rep felt awfully hard and I was wondering how on earth I should carry on with this pace in the two following reps? The good news of course is that with the 3000m behind you you‘re almost halfway through the whole session. This idea kept me going for the second rep, where I had to slow down for a couple of strokes to avoid handling down. The final rep of course was hard, but knowing it would soon be over kept me going. Not too much left though in the final rep, nevertheless happy with an overall improvement by 0.6 seconds. It seems the times of big improvements are coming to an end, but that‘s the nature of the PP that it gets harder the longer you stick with it.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Definitely an inspiration to keep improving Grobi - you've got to be confident for your competition.

Meanwhile, I appear to have caught (or not quite shaken off?) a second bout of the winter sniffle going around. In this context, a paddled through my 6x1km this morning and was happy with dropping 3 seconds on the 500m split.

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Thanks Ian, I'm medium confident at the moment. Training is going well, but I'm still not where I want to be (7800m). See below...

Dropping the pace by 3 seconds is huge, I wouldn't call that "paddling"... I hope you get over that cold soon!

Moment of truth last night with yet another 30 minutes test. Last week I managed 7723m (1:56.5), so the plan was to start around last time's pace for the first 20 minutes, avoid the weakness in the second to last five minutes I suffered in the last two time trials and then hope for a strong finish. Well, that was the plan and that's how it went:

image-2018-02-06.jpg
image-2018-02-06.jpg (14.31 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
Like last time the first 20 minutes went well and I even could go a bit faster than target pace. Maybe I shouldn't have done that, because also like last time I again had a weak spot in the second to last five minutes. Thankfully I was able to pull myself together in the last segment for an improvement in pace by 0.5 seconds. But it's still a long way to the 7800m mark (43m to be precise :lol: ).

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg