The Pete Plan etc

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

MaxMacLaren1
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: The Pete Plan

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Thanks Ian, that works really well. Today's row was a steady distance (but less than 8k because I keyed in 30m instead of 8k #-o).

20180512_183031.png
20180512_183031.png (43.02 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Claudius
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Claudius »

Yes Max great Plan !

on the Speed Interval pyramid i couldnt resist to do to much on the first 250m...i had my reasons...so the next 500m were quit bad...the 4x2k were really painfull- and i needed a 2nd try for this one why i am in delay...did the first go the day after a road bike session for chasing a KOM on Strava...so really sore legs...on the 2nd go i made it a bit slower and it went well
Attachments
PPw2.jpg
PPw2.jpg (49.95 KiB) Viewed 1177 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Some awesome results above.

I laboured through a 6x1km, 1r. That 60 seconds really rattles through, and the session is normally distinctly unpleasant. My heart rate monitor discharged just after I started, so I'm left to view how it felt subjectively: which was fine. The splits are all a little down on my best, but as anyone else with hay fever might note, it's pollen time so I wasn't all that full of oxygen Image

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Ian, Hope the pollen count doesn't stay high for long. 6x1k sounds deeply unpleasant, like 3x this months CTC!

First attempt at the 4x2k today which was harder than expected especially the final session.
20180515_191853.png
20180515_191853.png (34.37 KiB) Viewed 1152 times
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Thanks Max - it seems to have calmed down a bit of late. Good set for you Image

I had a pretty reasonable steady 7.5km yesterday, and followed up with a negative split, 4x1850 (4r). My previous attempt was quite relaxed, and to be honest the first run of this one was leisurely. By the end, not so much.

MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

First attempt at 10x1m (a fast interval session aimed at improving 1k time) and it went better than expected. Wasn't sure what DF would be best so opted for 160 and roughly calculated a pace of 1:37 to 1:37.5 would be a reasonable goal to aim for. So 1:36.9 seems a decent benchmark for the next cycle.
20180517_185758.png
20180517_185758.png (80.58 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Nice session Max. Pete always claimed this was a 1k pace predictor, but I only think it works if you keep rating to what is reasonable for a 1k as there is too much capacity to trade rate for pace.
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Caratacus
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Caratacus »

Couldn't face doing the interval sessions this week so just did a few long low rate efforts and tried a reasonably fast 6k today. Will do some intervals next week Image
Felton H
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

A steady 8km today. The objective was (for me) low rate, keep the heart rate trace below peak effort. My last attempt in January was ...errr...an early January season, so little to be derived from comparison.

Rate was too high (wanted 25 really) but other than that, a useful marker for next time.

Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Hello ! Seeing all your results is motivating! Well done ! And so i wasnt lazy the last 2 days, yesterday the 4x1k and today the hard distance- choosed a 10k for ranking and it ended in a new pb ! Now rest is needed...and no possibility to erg- family time- perhaps a regenerative tour with the bike and the kids.
Attachments
PPw3si.JPG
PPw3si.JPG (64.29 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
“Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?”
(J.R.R.T.)
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Iain wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:52 am Nice session Max. Pete always claimed this was a 1k pace predictor, but I only think it works if you keep rating to what is reasonable for a 1k as there is too much capacity to trade rate for pace.
Thanks Iain, I didn't know that and wish my 1k time was as good! By rating do you mean strokes per minute or drag factor? My SPM was lower than for a 1k or 2k but DF was set higher.

Claudius, Well done on your PB =D> =D> =D>
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Back on the intervals today with the speed pyramid session, target of roughly 1:43 from the 8x500 about 5 weeks ago
Felton H
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Low rate meter munching today
Felton H
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

10x600m, 1r

I rather felt that my last couple of attempts could be quite fairly described as fly and die. The splits over the set were wildly different, so I thought I'd look to hold a high 54 for this set as a good marker for next time through.

As it turned out, that was achievable though after the third rep I could feel the spectre of a evil rower telling me to pass on the last 5 reps....

Ps: glad to have multiple fellow sufferers to gain motivation from Image

Claudius

Post by Claudius »

Great rows ! Especially when the last interval is the fastest ! Today i had the last interval session 3k, 2.5k and 2k...i´m happy with the result... 8)

...and row on :mrgreen:

ok...its not zwift...
Attachments
PP w3 ei.JPG
PP w3 ei.JPG (24.74 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
(J.R.R.T.)
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

4x2000m
Wasn't completely sure what pace to go at so did a rate ladder. Planned to go a bit faster in the final rep but didn't really have it in me today.
Felton H
Iain

Post by Iain »

Great work here. I hope to rejoin this thread after a 3 year absence when I have established benchmark paces that wouldn't embarass my Grandmother!

Great training going on by all.

Caratacus, that 4 x 2k looks painful with 11W less at 2 SPM higher you must have been really hurting.

Max, at lower rates (ie strokes per minute) you should be able to do a 1k at a similar pace as the 10xi'r1', although that is an imptressive rating for a 2k, are you on slide? the speed pyramid suggests that you could better your 2k as well!

Keep up the good work.

Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Iain wrote:that 4 x 2k looks painful with 11W less at 2 SPM higher you must have been really hurting.
It was probably more mental than physical, but I had definitely miscalculated the pace a little and didn't feel the need to end myself in order to justify the initial target Image
Felton H
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Iain wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 9:18 am Max, at lower rates (ie strokes per minute) you should be able to do a 1k at a similar pace as the 10xi'r1', although that is an imptressive rating for a 2k, are you on slide? the speed pyramid suggests that you could better your 2k as well!
Iain, Thanks, and apologies I was talking nonsense #-o. My SPM for the 1k and 2k are lower. 1k with racing start and fast finish 34 spm, normal 1k 31 spm. 2k is 33 race and 28 normal. On cycle 2 I'll try and reduce the rating because I want any gains to translate to race distances.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

A lot of nice rowing, very impressive.

After 3 days off spent eating and drinking I really wish I'd done a steady state session. This was hard, very hard but 1:48.5 was 0.2 faster than the indicative PP time.
20180525_195241.png
20180525_195241.png (40.77 KiB) Viewed 1001 times
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Woo Hoo! Cycle 1 completed today :fssmile: . OK it took 4 weeks but happy it's mostly green...
Picture1.png
Picture1.png (165.78 KiB) Viewed 976 times
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Iain

Post by Iain »

wow Max, you really like a challenge. Personally I like to start with targets I am sure I can beat and enjoy the negative splits until I am back to harder times. Then I have a target that I know I can match as I have recently done it. That really helps as the H/D demons need some fighting.

- Iain
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

What with the fun of the CTC, I really couldn't find it in my heart to enjoy the planned 8x750m, 1r of today.

A smidge faster than last time (which included a drop in pace for the penultimate rep), and if we're feeling charitable they were consistent ish, so a progressive marker.

Iain

Post by Iain »

Wel done Ian at getting through those with a net gain. That said, with the 1ks to come (just what you need after this month's CTC!) which is the key session (as a good indicator for 5k pace) Maybe start a bit more conservative?

- Iain
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Thanks Iain. It's good advice to exercise restraint on targets, or in my case simply read this thread and Pete's advice for the Plan itself for pacing tips. After a year of using the Plan, you'd think I would have done such a basic thing.... :oops: