The Pete Plan etc

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: The Pete Plan

Post by Ian Bee »

4x1650 today.

A bit of consolidation going on here (no bad thing). Having made an attempt at the memorial ctc as part of my evening class warm up (in addition inspecting my Feb CTC), I'm going to have to take a good look at pacing for these kinds of distances....

Overall, a 1 second improvement but more importantly the pace was marginally (large emphasis) more controlled. Cherry on top was the heart rate trace showing fairly rapid recovery.
ImageImage

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Ian Bee wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 am Cherry on top was the heart rate trace showing fairly rapid recovery.
Absolutely, that drop in heart rate during recovery looks really good! Very promising for your next training seesions!
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Grobi wrote:
Ian Bee wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:28 am Cherry on top was the heart rate trace showing fairly rapid recovery.
Absolutely, that drop in heart rate during recovery looks really good! Very promising for your next training seesions!
Fingers crossed Image

Are you giving yourself some well earned rest before your event?

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Ian Bee wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:15 am Are you giving yourself some well earned rest before your event?
The original idea was to do one final session on Thursday night, so approximately 48 hours before the race. Your question started me thinking though wether that was a good idea or not. What if I couldn't improve or not as much as I wanted to? That would have been quite a setback to my confidence. On the other hand I could use all the training I could get to get into good shape. So I finally decided to do the waterfall session last night.

Target pace was 1:52.9. I had done the 4x2k session, which should be 0.5 seconds quicker, in 1:52.4, so both sessions were perfectly matched. I told myself I'd be happy with any improvement on the waterfall and this is how it went:

image-2018-02-16.jpg
image-2018-02-16.jpg (11.02 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
It seems I really wanted to know what's possible. First rep went fine with two tenth below target pace, second one was a bit quicker but I was also very exhausted afterwards (end heart rate 183). Only the idea that the worst was behind me and it's "only" a simple 2k that's left for the final interval kept me going. Nevertheless I was able to finish that one in 7:24.8, the fastest waterfall 2k since I started my recent training in the beginning of January. So yes, I'd say that was a confidence booster :D

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

As well you should. Being rather new to this, do the races get live updates or results posted anywhere? I'd had a little look at the links, so sorry if it's incredibly obvious.

As for me, the return of 3x3km. Quite a few failures on this one, and frankly my insistence on following the pp with two middle distance sets on consecutive days might be where I start my adjustments. Anyway...

Last successful set was completed in December, with the final fastest piece at 1.57.9.

Frankly I'm not sure what happened. I cautiously raised the df, and found I could keep the rate down ever so slightly and still be comfortable at my desired pace during the first rep. Second rep didn't quite hit target, but still was comfortable. This meant that I could mentally face a push on for the final rep, and improve by a whisker over 5 seconds. Safe to say, my smugness will not be apparent when I try this again in a couple of weeks.

ImageImage

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Ian Bee wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:16 am Last successful set was completed in December, with the final fastest piece at 1.57.9.
So you competed against last time's fast last, not last time's overall average, and still improved? Well done I have to say! =D> =D> What was the overall average in December?

As for results of tomorrow's race, you can find them here: http://www.ergoregatta.de/. Go to "Renninfos", then "Rennergebnisse", they will be published tomorrow night. Our races are 07L (Dave) and 07 (me).

I'm afraid there will be no live feed but maybe an update on the forum by Dave or me (depending on how much our hands are shaking after the race and if we'll still be able to operate a smart phone :lol: )

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

That being the case, I'll keep an eye on the race thread and that link - very best of luck to you both.

And thanks 🤗 Last times' average was 1.58.1
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Great training efforts folks! It is fun to follow the progress.

Ian, looking at the Meterboard I would say you deserve a restful period with less meters, don’t over do it. Pretty sure Dave and Peter agree with me there :-) ;-)

Peter, looks like you are ready for tomorrow!! Viel Erfolg and good luck to you and Dave!!
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Tako wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 amIan, looking at the Meterboard I would say you deserve a restful period with less meters, don’t over do it. Pretty sure Dave and Peter agree with me there :-) ;-)
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Once I'm through the Cancer Research marathon challenge (hoping to dip under 3 hours - I've said it now....), I will be stepping back. A bit.
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

6x1km, 1r......

Taking this very steady, so aimed for pb+1 pace (which would be last times pace -1).

Happy enough that my legs felt ok, and there was a little left after rep 6. A reasonable step back towards progress on this set.ImageImage

Tako

Post by Tako »

Ian Bee wrote: Once I'm through the Cancer Research marathon challenge (hoping to dip under 3 hours - I've said it now....), I will be stepping back. A bit.

Combining rowing with support for cancer research sounds great!!
Good luck with that!!
Is this a virtual or a live event? Something one can support?
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Tako wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:09 am
Ian Bee wrote: Once I'm through the Cancer Research marathon challenge (hoping to dip under 3 hours - I've said it now....), I will be stepping back. A bit.

Combining rowing with support for cancer research sounds great!!
Good luck with that!!
Is this a virtual or a live event? Something one can support?
Thanks Tako. I had seen reference to this last year, so was glad to see it be an annual thing.

The event is virtual for maximum uptake - in theory, the marathon can be spread over a month. I'm planning to log my time in on 1st March because I happen to be off work. With no obligation at all, my fundraising page is here: https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/ ... g-page-65
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Steady 7.5km.

Positives:
*Rate was steady
*Heart rate trace was within CV range for half (ISH) the piece
*Even with unexpectedly tired legs, this was pb +3 overall

Constructive criticism:
*Legs tired for no clear reason.....
*Would've liked to have the pace under 2.02 for the middle section
ImageImage

Last edited by Ian Bee on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Tako wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:36 am Ian, looking at the Meterboard I would say you deserve a restful period with less meters, don’t over do it. Pretty sure Dave and Peter agree with me there :-) ;-)
I totally agree! :twisted: :fswink:

Ian, you were only 2.7 seconds slower than your PB which you set a week ago. During your PB row you spent approximately 80% in the red zone, this time it was only 50% (my guess, you didn't post the table). To me that's a clear indicator of a rapidly improved fitness, so well done! =D>

After Saturday's race I had to decide how to proceed with my training. Doing three long distance intervals and a 30 minutes TT every week had been pretty tough so I decided to reduce this a bit by adding the short distance intervals (8x500, 4x1k, pyramid) but also doing only two interval sessions per week, one being long distance intervals, the other one being short distance intervals.

So last night I started my new training regime with the 8 x 500 / 3:30r with a randomly picked 1:50 as target pace:

image-2018-02-21.jpg
image-2018-02-21.jpg (17.62 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
image-2018-02-21(1).jpg
image-2018-02-21(1).jpg (5.92 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
I completely failed in the OCD competition for the first seven reps, pacing was all over the place :D There was a bit left for a fast last but I also didn't want to overdo it in the first session. I don't have pressure timewise so I am not going to push the session like I did in January and February.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Thanks Peter.

As an understatement, you produced a great first set to build from.

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

4x1500, 4r

Couldn't find a record of completing this set after last November which was at an average pace of 1:56.9. So that was the target....

The average pace on this one is flattered by the rather hopeful pace from the first rep but - as with yesterday - recovery was good in the rests which is a positive. Df was a little higher than normal, which may have helped. Overall, 3 seconds faster than November too Image
ImageImage

Last edited by Ian Bee on Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Ian Bee wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:20 am recovery was good in the rests which is a positive.
Absolutely, and a nice improvement too, well done! =D>

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

A maintenance piece today: 8.5km at hm ish pace. Wasn't looking to break any records, but am tickled by the consistent rate and the positive split. Simple pleasures Image

ImageImage

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Nicely controlled session Ian, you can't always break PBs. Sometimes recovery is needed.

It was time for the long distance intervals last night, the 5x1500/5'r with a target pace of 1:52.1. I hadn't been doing any medium distance stuff since the race five days beforehand so wasn't exactly looking forward to it. This is how it went:

1500 / 1:52.1 / 29 / 167
1500 / 1:52.0 / 29 / 174
1500 / 1:51.9 / 29 / 176
1500 / 1:51.7 / 29 / 178
1500 / 1:51.7 / 29 / 178

Total: 27:58.9 / 1:51.9

The first rep felt awfully hard, second and third were a bit better. After rep #4 I decided on behalf of my future self that I wouldn't overdo it in the final rep and that I'd be happy with an overall improvement of 0.2 seconds in pace with a total time of sub 28 minutes now :D

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Nice set of 1500's Peter. I could do that.....about 10 years ago! :? :(
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Thanks Dave, those 1500s were really nasty, not looking forward to my next long distance interval set!

It was time for another short distance interval set yesterday and it was the so called speed pyramid (250m/500m/750m/1k/750m/500m/250m with 1'30 per 250m work). As a starting target pace I picked 1:50, the same target pace I had used for the 8x500 a week ago. This is how it went:

_250 / 1:50.0 / 31
_500 / 1:50.0 / 30
_750 / 1:50.0 / 30
1000 / 1:50.0 / 30
_750 / 1:49.5 / 30
_500 / 1:48.5 / 31
_250 / 1:43.0 / 34

Total: 14:34.4 1:49.3

Nice and fluffy session :D I kept my powder for the 250m up to the 1k and then sped up from there. The last 250m were kind of fun :D Having said that this session was only 2.6 seconds quicker in pace than the 5x1500 while it should be at least 5 seconds faster. So I was probably just not going fast enough. Nevertheless I will "enjoy" these short distance intervals as long as it's possible.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

It was time for the weekly long distance intervals session last night, the 4x2k / 5'r with a target pace of 1:52.4. Like with the 5x1500 the weak earlier I wasn't really looking forward to it:

image-2018-03-02.jpg
image-2018-03-02.jpg (14.56 KiB) Viewed 1352 times
This was a physical and menatal challenge! After rep #1 I was already considering to call it a day as it felt so hard, especially my legs (having done the ctc and the IRL 2k in the two days beforehand probably played a role here...). I pursuaded myself to at least start interval #2 and see how that one feels. It was a bit better and after rep#3 with only one left to go you don't quit, do you?

Nevertheless a pretty hard session and happy with an improvement of 0.4 seconds in pace. The times of huge improvements are gone I'm afraid but that happens sooner or later with the Pete Plan.

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Tako

Post by Tako »

Hi Ian!
How did the FM go???
Did I see it correct that it is worth a post on the PB thread as well??
Hope you survived it well!
The link above sent me to a page stating that you managed a great 3h10min, correct?!
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Tako wrote:Hi Ian!
How did the FM go???
Did I see it correct that it is worth a post on the PB thread as well??
Hope you survived it well!
The link above sent me to a page stating that you managed a great 3h10min, correct?!
Hi Tako, it was all going well until 30km when I cramped. I did indeed finish in 3hr10 (4 minutes outside my pb, and 10 behind my target Image). It's all month, so maybe I'll have another go 🤪

Tako

Post by Tako »

Thanks for the update! I still think it is a great achievement!! Congratulations!!
I only finished 3 FM (3h18m PB). Inspired by your post I tried my fourth but had to stop after 28km.