The Pete Plan etc

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: The Pete Plan

Post by Grobi »

I like your final rep Ian, quicker than the first one but 2 spm less!

Had my second go at the waterfall last night with a target pace of 1:58.9 from last time:

rsz_unbenannt(1).jpg
rsz_unbenannt(1).jpg (20.14 KiB) Viewed 952 times
Other than the 5x1500 and the 4x2k I attacked this one earlier to see how much I can bring the pace down. Last rep wasn't precisely funny but afterwards I was happy with an overall gain of 1.7 seconds in pace.

The waterfall is supposed to be done one second slower than the 5x1500 (5k pace vs. 5k+1 pace). The fact that I was able to do it 1.2 seconds quicker instead gives me some confidence for my next 30 minutes test.
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Hmmmm, haven't got a waterfall in the schedule currently but looks an interesting variation.

Very rough legs this morning, so just a 5km paddle at hm pace.

When's your next 30 minute test?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Caratacus
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Caratacus »

Time to join the fun again Image
Going to try the 5k version this time. Probably won't be able to do all the sessions in a week so will just do them in order when I'm able. First up the 12x500m 1r. Basically just tried to pick a pace I could definitely manage while still being a reasonable workout which I think I managed. I know these sessions get very hard very quickly so don't mind some 'easier' ones to start

Felton H
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

There was quite something left in the tank in the final rep Felton, it seems you picked your target pace well. I agree that if in doubt start with an easier pace. The Pete Plan gets tough quicker than you would imagine!

Ian, my next 30 minutes test is next Monday. Only recovery rows over the weekend after four hard days back to back. Maybe I‘ll have my first go at the ctc which looks like fun :^o

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

How did your 30 minutes go Grobi?

Simple short paddle yesterday after hm on Sunday.

Round 6, Week 6: 6x1km, 1r

0.1 seconds overall faster than my previous best for this set (from last October), but comfortably better than the last attempt of mid December.

Getting into the territory for starting to use 'proper' Pete plan pacing.
ImageImage

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Ian, are you going to have more PB attempts, now that you're in PP PB territory? And what happened to that first rep? It's considerably faster than the other reps?
Ian Bee wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:46 am How did your 30 minutes go Grobi?
I'd say it went well. My last go a week ago resulted in 7514m (1:59.7). I was able to bring the split for my PP sessions in that week down by around 1.5 seconds. So I was hoping to do the same for my 30 min TT. My target pace therefore was 1:58.2 which would just bring me beyond the 7600m mark. This is how it went:

rsz_unbenannt(2).jpg
rsz_unbenannt(2).jpg (23.43 KiB) Viewed 927 times
First five minutes went well, therefore I decided to speed it up a bit. The same with the second and third 5 minutes, I was able to hold a 1:58 pace quite comfortably. The trouble began when I decided to go a bit quicker in the fourth segment, now trying to stay between 1:57 and 1:58. I was getting tired at this point, nevertheless managed to just hold that pacing throughout the fifth segment. With the last five minutes coming up things got a bit easier mentally (not physically!). I also noticed that the projected finish was moving well above 7600m if I pulled occasional 1:54s. So it was all or nothing now and it felt more like nothing at some point to be honest. The final minute was just pulling and watching the predicted finish rising. So very happy with an improvemnt of 138m or 2.1 seconds in pace over last week's attempt :fswink:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Great piece in every sense - looks really positive for progress in the next couple of weeks.
Grobi wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:45 am Ian, are you going to have more PB attempts, now that you're in PP PB territory? An what happened to that first rep? It's considerably faster than the other reps?
Enthusiasm got the better of me - heart rate looked calm, so I thought I'd speculate on pace. #-o

As for more PBs, based on nonathon averages, I'd say FM and 30 minutes are next. My 1km and 500m times could also be challenged, but I tend to blow out too easily on the springs.
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Out of the blue, possibly promoted by the above, had a go at improving my 30 minute distance as this weeks steady state row rather than the planned 7.5km distance.

Legs were fatigued from the start, so I attempted to focus on a consistent pace and rate, which broadly turned out to be the case. A marginal improvement of 17m on my pb is still an improvement :)

Watching my pace boat, my previous pb included a comparatively quick finish which I couldn't match today. Perhaps there's a few more metres to be gained relatively easily on a fresh day.... ImageImage

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Congratulations on the new PB Ian! =D> =D> =D> An improvement by 17m may not sound much, but as you say an improvement is an improvement is an improvement :fswink: And this improvement brought you past the 7400m mark, doesn't that sound good? I think you got the pacing spot on by the way, not much left in the last five minutes. This is the fastest way to do it.

It was time for my third set of 5x1500/5'r yesterday. Target pace from last time was 1:58.4:

rsz_unbenannt(3).jpg
rsz_unbenannt(3).jpg (25.26 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Very annoying that I failed the OCD competition :D but nevertheless really pleased with an improvement of 1.4 seconds in pace (2.9 seconds since I started this). Looking forward :^o to tonight's 4x2k!

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

^O^ ^O^

Though I feel your pain re split OCD :lol:

Good luck for later [-o<
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Ian Bee wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:18 am Good luck for later [-o<
Thanks, it seems your wishing well worked as I was quite satisfied with my session. It was time for the 4x2k/5'r yesterday with a target pace of 1:58.4:

rsz_1unbenannt.jpg
rsz_1unbenannt.jpg (22.91 KiB) Viewed 888 times
Really happy with an improvement of 1.5 seconds in pace. I wonder how long I can keep that rate of improvement but I take it as long as it lasts :D

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Excellent piece - you should indeed be pleased.

I went for a very much more gentle negative split, 4x1850, 4r.

No real expectations for this one. Heart rate suggests I can push harder across the set, so I'll start at 2.02 next time. ImageImage

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Ian Bee wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 am No real expectations for this one. Heart rate suggests I can push harder across the set, so I'll start at 2.02 next time
Absolutely! The blue and the green bar are quite small (compared to your 30 minutes last Wednesday for example). I think the red bar has plenty of room :D

It was time for my third waterfall last night. Target pace from last time was 1:57.2. Like in the weeks before I decided to not do this session in OCD style but to attack it right from the start:

rsz_unbenannt(5).jpg
rsz_unbenannt(5).jpg (20.76 KiB) Viewed 880 times
First rep already was very unpleasant to put it mildly. Second one was a bit better so I felt ready to tackle rep #3. I pushed it from the start rowing around 1:54-1:55 pace for the first k. The second k was ugly but knowing I was already well below target pace for the session kept me going. Really knackered afterwards but also very happy with an improvement by 1.7 seconds in pace. This session is supposed to be 1 second slower in pace than the 5x1500 as it is harder (same meters, but half the rest time). Instead I was able to row it 1.5 seconds faster than the 5x1500 which makes me extra happy :D

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Grobi

Post by Grobi »

It was time for Monday's 30 minutes TT yesterday. Having looked at my last TT and the waterfall before that I figured I could row the 30 minutes at a pace 0.5 seconds slower than the waterfall. My last waterfall was at 1:55.5 so I was hoping for a 1:56.0 pace for the 30 minutes. On the other hand I had a three days rest over the weekend, so not completely sure if the lack of practice outweighed the rest period. Well, this is how it went:

rsz_unbenannt(6).jpg
rsz_unbenannt(6).jpg (25.81 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Right from the beginning I felt that there was no way of holding a 1:56 pace. Instead it felt hard enough to row at 1:57. I managed to do that for the first 20 minutes. With the last 10 minutes coming up I tried to lower the pace down to 1:56/1:55 which lastet for about two minutes when I had to back off. Next try with 6 minutes to go which resulted in serious slowing down and almost handling down. Picked it up again, noticed the projected finish rising to 7680/7690 and pulled like mad for the final 2 minutes, hoping for a plus 7700m finish. I just made it, but it was very close (end heart rate 188 :shock: ). So an improvement by 51m, less than last time but happy with that, especially under the circumstances.

The 5 minute splits don't tell the full story. Here you can see my serious slowing down with about four minutes to go:

rsz_2unbenannt.jpg
rsz_2unbenannt.jpg (20.73 KiB) Viewed 837 times

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Morning Grobi,

I try to tell myself that the sessions which feel hard, but you get through with a reasonable pace - which yours certainly was make no mistake - are the ones which count most.

I'm also mentioning that because my 10x600m, 1r was terrible ;) Felt unrested even after my normal Monday paddle. Don't think the 1 hour pb on Sunday was dragging me back either. Heart rate trace shows above max for periods, so I'm happy to have not handled down.

Overall, 15 seconds off my best though marginally better than the last round (0.2 seconds overall marginal ;)). ImageImage

Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Some good improvements here, well done guys Image
Very slowly going through the sessions, today was 4x1500m 4r. Figured I should be able to hold 1:50 or better and managed that fairly comfortably
Felton H
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Ian Bee wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:35 am I try to tell myself that the sessions which feel hard, but you get through with a reasonable pace - which yours certainly was make no mistake - are the ones which count most.
Thanks Ian, at least it was a good training in mental stability which might be useful for race day.

Your session looks painful indeed. A power to rest ratio of 2:1 is brutal. No wonder that after rep #3 your heart rate never left the red zone, not even during recovery :shock:
Well done for seeing this one through despite exceeding the red zone on several occasions! Does that mean you have to re-evaluate the red zone? Or will you leave it unchanged for comparison purposes?

Nice session Felton, I had already wondered where you had been? Quite a high stroke rate in the final rep!

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Grobi wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:04 pmYour session looks painful indeed. A power to rest ratio of 2:1 is brutal. No wonder that after rep #3 your heart rate never left the red zone, not even during recovery :shock:
Well done for seeing this one through despite exceeding the red zone on several occasions! Does that mean you have to re-evaluate the red zone? Or will you leave it unchanged for comparison purposes?
I'll need to check the app. I take zones like this with a pinch of salt (what with my heart rate being affected by the mere attempt to measure it in some cases), so I'm happy with a comparison initially.

Felton - thanks for posting these inspirational results ^O^ The thought of holding 1.50 for that set : :shock:
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Steady 7.5km this morning. My last time though presented me me a target of sub 2.02 pace but with hope of focusing on avoiding drastic heart rate.....

In the end, slight improvement on pb time and - while not overwhelming - the heart rate trace is encouraging to me in so far as there is a gentle increase (and subsequent recovery was relatively fast).

Those last 25 seconds are going to be painful :OImageImage

Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Well done on the pb Ian, those 25 seconds will disappear quicker than you think Image

Today did the 3x2k 3r which is a suboptimal 2k test sandwiched by a warm up and cool down at steady pace. The idea is to practice different strategies for the 2k apparently so I decided on doing it a bit like a 4x500m with no rests with 3 reps at 1:46-1:47 and a sprint finish. Went pretty well but had to go pretty hard in the final 500m to dip below 7 mins.
Felton H
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Congrats on the PB Ian! =D>
Ian Bee wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:21 am Those last 25 seconds are going to be painful
It's an improvement by 2.3 seconds, so I'm afraid you're pretty right there :shock: :fswink: What's that app with those heart rate bands you're using by the way? Looks interesting!

Very impressive set of 2ks there Felton! I'd be more than happy to row a single sub7 2k, but sandwiched by two other 2ks? No way, so well done again!

Time for the 5x1500/5'r yesterday with a target pace of 1:57.0:

rsz_unbenannt(7).jpg
rsz_unbenannt(7).jpg (25.75 KiB) Viewed 805 times
The first rep was surprisingly hard as I could still feel the 30 minutes TT from the day before. But it got better in the course of the session and I had enough left in the tank for a decent final rep, bringing the overall pace down to 1:55.8 :D

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Grobi wrote:Very impressive set of 2ks there Felton! I'd be more than happy to row a single sub7 2k, but sandwiched by two other 2ks? No way, so well done again!
Not so much a 'set' rather than just a 2k test with a warm up and a cool down before and after Image I think in future I'll just programme this as a straight 2k so I get the split data, also not a big fan of specific targets for warm up/cool down, usually go much slower than this normally.

Looks like you had plenty left in the tank the end there, Peter Image Will your future self thank you for the increased pace targets? Image
Felton H
Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

Grobi wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:22 pmIt's an improvement by 2.3 seconds, so I'm afraid you're pretty right there :shock: :fswink: What's that app with those heart rate bands you're using by the way? Looks interesting!
Its all tied into the Polar A370 fitness tracker (present from long suffering other half) - it feeds into a android app (Polar Flow). Given I've only been using it for a couple of weeks, there are doubtless many things I'm not utilising/using incorrectly, but it does appear to be relatively accurate.

And I can only agree. Again: Felton ^O^ ^O^ ^O^
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

Ian Bee wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:19 pm Its all tied into the Polar A370 fitness tracker (present from long suffering other half) - it feeds into a android app (Polar Flow).
Thanks for the information Ian. I will look into it and see if they have an IOS version of that app.
Caratacus wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:35 pm Looks like you had plenty left in the tank the end there, Peter Image Will your future self thank you for the increased pace targets? Image
My future self will be mad at me next week I'm sure :lol:

It was time for the 4x2k/5'r last night. Target pace from last week was 1:56.9:

rsz_unbenannt(8).jpg
rsz_unbenannt(8).jpg (24.98 KiB) Viewed 790 times
Although this session should be harder than the 5x1500 it felt easier. Quite something left in the final interval and happy (for now, don't ask my future self) with an improvement by 1.4 seconds in pace :fswink:

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Ian Bee

Post by Ian Bee »

4x1600m, 4r.......

If I'd been planning an OCD set, I'd have taken this as a result ;)

To be honest, with these 1500m+ combinations, pace is just not there. Yet :) ImageImage

Grobi - on behalf of your future self : slow down Image