Nijmegen 4 Days 50k per Day

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Mike Channin »

I've updated the Nijmegen challenge with the cumulative time so far (7:25:15.4) (and 6185 cals!) and will update this each day. Hopefully.
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

Astonishing effort Mike. Keep going - and keep posting!
pb times
jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jainser »

Keep going!!
webberg
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Blisters and blistering

Post by webberg »

Fantastic effort.

Re the blisters, have you tried a pair of cycling mitts? These are padded on the palms and lower parts of the fingers. There is no top half to the fingers. Any decent cycle store has them for around £5.

Otherwise I've tried blister plasters that sort of melt into the skin.

Never tried on fingers though as luckily I don't seem to get blisters. I think that's because I hold the handle way on on my fingers and not in the plam, but perhaps it's just luck.

Keep going. I am awestruck as I've not yet managed 50k in a week!
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
PSims
True Free Spirit

Aarrrghhh!

Post by PSims »

Mike,

I would have done this with you, but I'm on holiday!
Been doing about 40k a day anyway.

Outstanding effort - keep it up - you are 1/2 way there!!!

Any chance of extending the time for a few of us to have a go?
Perhaps we could say it has to be done on 4 consecutive days, any time in July/August? I know that's not the exact point of what you were aiming for, but I'd like to give some support too!

P.S. Bubble wrap is what C2 recommend for the hands (and butt).
I use C2 hand pads and the seat pad but you won't be able to get them in time!
Last edited by PSims on Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Stan

Post by Stan »

Paul
You are on holiday. Stop rowing and enjoy yourself - and let some of us try to close the gap on you a bit :lol:
pb times
gunslinger_
Spends too much time in the forum

Post by gunslinger_ »

Huge doses of respect from this side of the big pond. WOW! 50K a day for 4 days. in one sitting even...
I'd give it a go if I could split my workouts, but I can't. I think you're my hero right now. Keep posting.
Good luck!
PSims
True Free Spirit

Come on!!!!

Post by PSims »

I'm not rowing - but I'm still supporting you guys!
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

jainser
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by jainser »

Good luck with todays row Mike.
:lol:
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

jainser wrote:Good luck with todays row Mike.
:lol:
Yes, how are the buttock blisters?
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
gunslinger_

Post by gunslinger_ »

I've decided that in support, I'm going to walk around all day, rubbing my bum and moaning. :lol:

Good luck on today's row!
steve the slug

Mike

Post by steve the slug »

"Oarsome" to coin a phrase.

and all the rest, dumbstruck, unbelievable, brilliant, i just wish i could even think about it. :shock: :shock: :shock:

dont forget to order the innertube for when you finish, bit more comfortable than a chair,

best of luck today, wont be able to log in now until tuesday, but with you all the way

slug

ps dont forget about the other elm challenges when you have finished :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Well, JanetS gets the job as official weather angel, as it is now significantly cooler in here - down 4 degrees to a mere 27, and maybe can get it lower still.

Am planning to start at around 2pm today and finish around 6ish.

Body is holding up surprisingly well considering. Blisters not too bad today (on the hands and heels, none anywhere else thanks Thomas!). Thanks for all the advice on this front - am already using gloves, plasters and lots of bubblewrap. Will write up a proper note on all this for the marathon thread when I get round to it.

Today will be my 9th full marathon, and hopefully tomorrow will be my 10th. Scary :shock:

I've opened up the challenge dates for those insane enough to want to give it a go. Only rule is that the four 50ks have to be on consecutive days. Chosing to do it during a heatwave is entirely optional :wink:

Was dreading this, the third day originally, but with the temperature drop I'm almost (almost!) looking forward to this one. Probably more looking forward to getting it over with...
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

All plastered up and ready to go once more - is 28 degrees in here at the moment. Fingers crossed it'll stay (relatively) cool. See you all in 4 hours...
jlemon
Stop posting and start rowing!

Post by jlemon »

Good luck! We're all pulling for you (with you?) in spirit!
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Well, I made it, but it was a lesson in pain and discomfort. Will write more when I've recovered. Am now having serious doubts about managing to complete this tomorrow...
JanetS
True Free Spirit

Post by JanetS »

Well done!

Amazing performance!
48yo, weight... let's just say heavyweight & leave it at that.
PB:
Targets: start erging again & lose weight
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Still, 150km in 3 days in this heat is an amazing feat. Can you not break it down in to 10 5km tomorrow with massages at the local beauty salon between rows? (and savlon on the buttocks?).

Where does it hurt most? bum? fingers? legs? shoulders? head? heart? everywhere?
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit

Post by alistairkbs »

Total total respect.

Well done - hope you nake it to the start line tommorrow

Alistair
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
Stan

Post by Stan »

Well done Mike - a fantastic achievement so far and you have earned our respect and admiration. Just one more day and its all over - come on you can do it.
pb times
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Day 3 - 20th July

The day it got painful...

Was looking like a cooler day with the temperature down to 28 before the start.

Plan was to do the same pieces as yesterday, but to be more conservative on the first half marathon. Dropped the rests down from 5 minutes to 2 minutes to try to keep the overall time down (Big mistake!)

Warmup 3805m - 16:57.3 - Av 2:13.6
Feeling ok, no obvious major issues, although not feeling as strong as yesterday, seat getting a bit uncomfortable even this early on, and temperature rising to 29 degrees.

1st Half Marathon 21097 - 1:29:13.7 - 2:06.9
2 minute rest meant this was a bit of a rushed start. Felt pretty good and was pacing significantly slower than yesterday so feeling confident to get through. Started off pulling low SPM and over 10m/s, but had to let this fade back as stroke power droppped off with the heat and also the seat getting more uncomfortable. Was down to 2:06.8 at 15k in, but then started to suffer, and ended up finishing in 1:29:13.7.

2nd Half Marathon - 21097 - 1:36:32.3 - 2:17.3
And here it all started to go wrong. The two minute rest was very rushed again, and I was suffering right from the word go - legs felt very heavy and tired and was struggling to pull under 2:20 for first 2k. Seat getting more and more uncomfortable. Temperature steadily rising from 29 at the start to 32 by the end :shock: Decided I'd need to make several drinks and seat adjustment stops during this, with the first one planned at 15k to go, (then 10k and 5k). Held on to 14k to go before stopping, got down a lot of fluid and then off again. Getting increasingly hard to pick the pace back up after the stops, plus starting to get stomach ache. Think my stomach has had enough of processing huge volumes of fluid and isotonic stuff in high temperatures. Felt like it had given up digesting, but had to keep downing more fluid anyway in the hope that I wouldn't see it again! Seat getting REALLY bad now. Stopped at 9k out, and again 4k from the end. Really losing stroke power badly by end and only just hanging on. 32 degrees heat getting really tough. Hand plasters all fallen off. Backside in agony. And another 4k to go

Cooldown 4k - 19:14.7 - 2:24.3
2 Minute break felt way too short again, and just had no power left at all. Left achilles (old injury) getting very tight and stopping me going as far to front-stops, agan costing power. Stomach, legs and seat conspiring to wreck stroke and end up really struggling to end. At least the wrists, hands, heels and cardio were under less pressure.

Crawled to the finish in 3:48:29.7 (at least the short breaks kept the overall time down!)

Got some more fluid down, had a nervous minute waiting to see if it would stay down and then got up.

The damage:
Left achilles very stiff - has been threatening all the way, but was becoming a noticeable problem at end of today.
Stomach - Seems to have calmed down again now, but still have to persuade it to cope with large quantities of pasta in attempt to carb load for 2morrow. If it feels like it did today again tomorrow, particularly early on, it could be a very long day.
And, for Thomas, what were slight red patches yesterday have now become full blown friction burns, right through one layer of skin already and not happy looking at all. Now I understand why the seat was so uncomfortable today. (Am sitting on a big soft pillow while I type this). Suspect I'm gonna have to use plasters tomorrow - should be entertaining getting them on, and almost certainly agony getting them off again :shock: :oops:

So ends another day of rowing. Am no longer enjoying this. Praying for cold weather, an understanding stomach, and not to do too much more damage to certain parts of the anatomy...
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

And to put this in perspective, despite all this distance and pain, I've still not managed to catch either Tricia on the 7 wonders (7 day distance challenge) or Michelle on the Le Mans (24 hour distance challenge), so big respect to both ladies for their excellent achievements.
gunslinger_

Post by gunslinger_ »

We're not worthy...
Mike: wow. Just to have the guts to attempt this. good luck!
Remember, it is perfectly acceptable to curse and spit on the erg every time you pass by...
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Ouch. You have serious will power. Good luck tomorrow.
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Was definitely on the limits of my will power today - was in a world of hurt. Still sitting on this pillow and trying not to move around too much...
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)