BRIC 2016

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
I row on...: Model D with PM5

BRIC 2016

Post by Grobi »

Hi all,

BRIC (British Indoor Rowing Championships) was held this weekend and I couldn't find a post on the forum about this. So I thought I'd start one before it's too late :D

The reason being that our own Morten Haugseng came in fourth in the MHWT 50-54 event in a spectacular 6:35.8!

(http://indoorchamps.britishrowing.org/e ... 54_Men_2KM)

I don't know if Morten is on the forum and if he will ever read this but his performance was too good not to mention! :fswink:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Re: BRIC 2016

Post by Recess »

You may recall I have fled the Free Spirit nest - but yesterday marked the last time I'd race with Free Spirits against my name. Albeit dressed head to toe in Fitness Matters gear! But I entered when I was still a Free Spirit, and therefore it was against my name and I tried to make the old team proud.

It was one hellava race. Not for first - we all knew that unless someone slipped something in Tom Male's water bottle there was no way any if the rest of us 40-49 lightweights would have a chance of actually winning, so it made it a race for second (and bronze too)

But it's a really tight category. Guy (Free Spirit), Tim Cox, Luis and a couple of others are all 6:40 ish guys like me - which made the hunt for silver very exciting.

I'd gone into this with some heavy training which I thought would set me up for a 6:36 - figuring I'd go for 1:39s all the way and sprint the end if I could - but it wasn't to be. About 600m into it my hamstrings got rather tight which and I had to back off a bit.

Splits dropped to 1:41/1:42 through the middle 1000 and I was in 5th with 500m to go. Through that 1000 I was thinking "you can not come to London to settle for 5th - sprint the end and see what happens". Which is what I did. Down to 1:35/1:36 for the last 500 it all got a bit tough! But at 200 I had almost caught Luis in 2nd place and just made sure to count down from 20. 10'strokes to go, I was in 130. Damn, that'll mean at least 15 to go then...

But rated up, technique out the window - pulled two really crap strokes at the end, and took silver by .2

Then lay on the floor for a while...

A great day out - though as I keep telling people, I need to stop waiting for a burst from behind!!! Fantastic to see Guy (and James) there. Couldn't see any other Free Spirits though. A much better ran event from the last time I was there in 2015. So don't be put off when it comes round next year!
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Caratacus
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Caratacus »

Well done John, watched the race online and was very exciting. I could tell with 500m to go that you would get silver based on your sprinting ability which I find very impressive at the end of a 2k. My strategy (if you can call it that) is to just pick a pace and hold on for dear life; sprinting is out of the question at that point although maybe being in a competitive environment may help. I have to ask though, should your 2k time not be slightly faster based on your amazing 1k scores? My gut instinct was that you may go close to 6:30 so I checked with the pace predictor which does suggest you could be capable of roughly that. Don't get me wrong not criticising just interested in how you see pacing across different distances
Felton H
Recess

Post by Recess »

Nope, you're 100% bang on with this. I'm not sure about 6:39 but 6:32 I'd really want to be capable of.

But a 1k is a different animal - in my head at least. I need to train 1500 at 1:38 I think, to convince myself I could do it

Happy it was an entertaining race though!! Bloody painful afterwards. My tip would be not to lay loft boards the day before, which is why my hamstrings were buggered.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Fun race writeup, John. Congratulations on the silver. Excellent result.

Also big congratulations to Morten! And thanks to Peter for posting!

-barbara
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

I'm sure you can do it, maybe try a session where you pick a pace (1:37/8) and go for distance at that pace and stop when you drop below and then try to beat that distance next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Felton H
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Congratulations John! =D> =D> =D>
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
mortenhaugseng
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by mortenhaugseng »

Thanks for the kind words Grobi

It has been 5 years since last time I entered this competition, but I decided with the opportunity to combine racing with a pre Christmas weekend in London and 8 fellow Norwegian entering BRIC that it was a good idea.

I am quite satisfied with the time considering it was early in the morning and limited time to warm up, hopefully I will shave another 5 seconds in the nationals 4th of February.
Recess

Post by Recess »

Yeah, the 10 minute warm up was not the best, huh?

And well done Morten! That was an outstanding effort.

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Great results Morten and John, well done both of you =D> =D>
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Tako

Post by Tako »

Congratulations! Great efforts!

Ses på Bekkestua Morten ;-)
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Very well done, John and Morten!

=D> ^O^ =D> ^O^ =D>

Great write-up, John --- you had me on the edge of my seat!

I have the greatest respect for people who can dig-in when they're hurting and sprint. :shock: (I just want to crawl under the coffee table and O.D. on junk food)

Cheers, :P