Welsh Indoor Champs

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Welsh Indoor Champs

Post by Recess »

Hey folks.

Are the Welsh Indoors worth going to? I've been looking at flights, which are really quite frustrating! I think I'd need to fly from Glasgow, and back into Edinburgh, which seems a bit odd...

But I'd only consider putting myself through travel chaos if they were a good event. On a par with the English would do.

I've not looked into the Irish Champs - what are they like?

Considering that I'm already planning on Scottish (Oct 29) British (Dec 10th I think) and Crash-B - I might as well throw in a many more as I can!

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Welsh Indoor Champs

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi John

The IIRC is a nice event. It's pretty well organised (but nowhere near as regimented as BRIC) and the venue in Limerick is quite spacious and airy. They get a very large number of school age competitors, so the changing rooms can be quite crowded. It's quite reasonably priced at around €15 (possibly €20) for the 2k and only an extra €5 if you decide to also do the 500m.

It's usually on in late January, but I'm not sure what the date is for next year's event. If you are interested in going, I could probably pick you up from the airport in Shannon or you could fly into Dublin and travel down with me (it's around a 2 hour drive). If you're interested, please touch base with me regarding logistics before booking any flights.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Recess

Post by Recess »

Thanks Paul. I'll keep an eye out for dates - and if it looks like I'd be able to make it, I'll liaise with you before doing anything, don't worry!!

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
GuidonTheBee
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by GuidonTheBee »

Hi John,

I did the Welsh last year & really enjoyed it. Felt smaller than the English but it was a really enjoyable day. It was set out backwards as compared to e.g. the English in that the ergs were facing a wall with the race display & the spectators were behind, looking over the competitors to the screen, which made it really easy to follow all the other races & made for a great atmosphere. It may have been my favourite event last year.

Last year I decided to go by train instead of stay over 2 nights but its a helluva long way. After the 500, I had to immediately jump on my Brompton & peg it to the station (I may never have been so rogered !!) to be able to make the last connection to Glasgow. I'm hoping to do it again this year but I need a better travel plan.

(What am I saying - you'll only push me further down the results if you go #-o !! )
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

I just read a report about the Welsh Indoor Championship and noticed that our own Guy Blackburn came in 2nd in the 40 MLWT in 6:41.6, only 0.5 seconds behind the winner and 0.3 seconds ahead of third! That must have been a very exciting race! Well done Guy! =D> =D> =D>

http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=151447
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Thanks for sharing this Peter :wink:

Fantastic Row Guy thats a full 4.7 secs quicker than you managed at last years BRIC and you would have got the Bronze posting 6:41.6-what a race 0.8 secs covering the first 3 !!! =D> ^O^
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
zootMutant
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Wow! Well done, Guy! ^O^