L4s, etc...the Wolverine(sque) Plan

A forum for discussing training programmes, indoor racing, things that work for you, coaching etc.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

nomugie
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

L4s, etc...the Wolverine(sque) Plan

Post by nomugie »

Here it is...It seems I am NOT the only one following the WP! :shock:

I, by no means, am an expert on the WP. I have read the main plan documents, but have not read every post by MC. I do refer quite frequently to the WP thread on the US forums (http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8295).

Today for me...

2k wu

L4 60'/12477/2.24.3/18/sequence

2080/2.24.2/18/178 (+52) :oops:
2070/2.24.9/18/180 (+27)
2073/2.24.7/18/182 (+29)
2081/2.24.1/19/184 (+24)
2085/2.23.8/19/186 (+29)
2086/2.23.8/19/188 (+16)
+3m (monitor is set for 1.00.01 so not to have a ranking workout...)

500 cd

All of the above was done strapless...My reference pace is 2.02 (from my CRASH B result). My L4 df is 119, everything else is done at 114.

My WU is supposed to be 2.52 with 2 power 10s at 800m (2.04/25) & 1400m (2.01/25). The P10s were as powerful as I could be...

Today's L4 was not great one. I was all over the place rate wise. I tried to cover the pace and focus just on the rate, but I knew I was pulling too hard (I was 7 seconds +), so I had to move my post-it, and try to focus on both. Everything was good when my mind wouldn't wander... unfortunately my mind was very scattered tonight...thoughts included: "this is not the workout to start the WP thread with", "I really wish I could ride tonight", "don't forget to go to the market after this", "my, the gym is mighty quiet tonight", "I hope the Celtics win", "isn't it early to have a Red Sox-Yankees series", "slow down", "speed up", "STOP THINKING!"....

I am not very good at the L4s. I am always 3-4 seconds faster than my ref pace. I am working on slowing that down--but it will be a challenge. I have tried to use my sequence/pace post it from a slower reference pace, but all it does is confuse me ...I did have some moments when I was right on pace and rate were perfectly in sync (18 spm/2.27)... then I realized what was happening and started thinking about it, then it vanished....

William had asked about my weekly workouts. Right now, I am hoping to do 2 sessions a week--one L4 and one L3, maybe I will throw in an L1 or L2 in there if I feel like it. I am truly in maintenance mode. In-season, I will probably do MC's 5 day a week schedule with one substitution...I will only do one L1 or L2 (alternating) session a week. The second will be substituted with a L3i (L3 intervals).

William, at what pace do you do the 30r16, your 16 L4 pace?

Please feel free to ask any question, make any suggestions, or tell me (or us) to go back to the "what training" thread!

Random thought of the day: why is this teeny, tiny spider just hanging out on the arm of my couch? :?

Emily
RachelR
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: L4s, etc...the Wolverine(sque) Plan

Post by RachelR »

Hi Emily, thank you for posting this. As you know I am interested in the Wolverine plan and have done some background reading. Still trying to get my head round it :)

I wonder if you can explain what your workout should have been had you done it perfectly.. You report what you actually did, it seems to me, but not what you were trying to do? Am I missing something? Please explain your workout intentions before you started.

What I've been trying to get my head round is how Mike seems to gradually increase the distance (am I right?) over time and yet both the rate and the ideal split for the rate are both prescribed so surely the total distance for a given level 4 workout is fixed, IF it is done with perfect execution? I must be misunderstanding something, but I can't see it.

P.S. I have NO idea about your spider and your couch :D
strider77
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by strider77 »

Thank you for posting this Emily :D

I have spent the last year getting to a point where I can now start the plan.

I will start it in earnest for the new season-with Sunday May 3rd being my first proper day on the plan as opposed to dipping into it.

Interesting that Mike advocates strapless rowing at least for level 4 though he does not rule it out for the other levels.

I will probably do strapless for level 4 and 3, the intervals might be a bridge too far.

Important advice is not to overcook it by setting impossible goals at the beginning so I will deliberately start conservatively.

Based on having 5 days available to me, I will do 6 workouts a week, with Saturday being a 2 workout day-level 3 and level 4.

Sunday will always be a LONG row-either 20k or 32k-the other level 4s will alternate between 1hr and 2 x 30 mins gradually increasing strokes through the season.

Interestingly MC aims for 16mps for level 4-we can try I suppose :(
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
William
Rower and forum addict...
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by William »

Thanks for starting us off Emily.
Until my intercostal strain, I'd been doing the WP for 8 weeks slightly modified for a target 5K rather than 2K (with some advice from Pete Marston). My schedule was:
Mondays - 8K warm up / down + 5K (or 10k) near best pace
Tuesday - 30 mins @ 16 spm (2K+23), 12k @ 20 spm (2k+17), 10k @ 2k+11
Wednesday 30 mins @ 16 spm, 15x500 1R @ 2k+1, 5k @ 2k+10
Thursday 30 mins @ 16 spm, 4x1k 6R @ 2k+ 2
Friday 30 mins @ 16 spm, 2x3k 6R @ 2k+5, 10K @ 20 spm (2k+15)
Saturday 60 mins @ 20 spm (2k+15), 15x500 1R @ 20 spm (2k+9) (if I have time)
Sunday - gardening 4 hours
Total metres (including recovery) 120-130K
All level 4 workouts done strapless - only use straps when rate exceeds 26 spm.
Keeping the correct rate for the level 4s is a bit of a challenge, Emily, I agree, especially at rates below 20 spm. I've improved with practice. And music is helpful - I tend to listen to reggae for long workouts.

I must say I like the WP very much so far and will change what I do after Farnborough 5K to bring it closer to the way MC prescribes it. There's a lot of volume and very little near death experience. It's designed to be sustainable so that small improvements are possible week after week. The L4 workouts are good for technique and strength and followed by a surprisingly quick recovery. MC's dissertations are well worth reading and drive home the message that you have to work hard but should always leave something in reserve for the next session. I'd love to hear what other FS are doing with the WP.
William Konarzewski 60yrs 87Kg 1.83m
PBs 2006-2009

Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Emily, I have tried WP, but just find the L4's exhausting. Even starting off with ref pace PB +2, I am struggling to maintain the reference pace after 20'. I'm not sure whether this is a technical issue when I tire, or just the result of having short legs, but the effect is that I am not sufficiently rested to perform the L2 & L1 sessions at the required intensity. I am interested that you consistently exceed the required pace. Is this with a high "effort" level, or do you find the reference paces easily maintained? Also, what rating did you user at Crash-Bs?

Regards

Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

Long winded reply, sorry...

RachelR—I was wondering where you were in your thought process but didn’t want to call you out…My suggestion is to just try it. Jump right on in, it is not at all that complicated once you get into it.

If the workout had been done perfectly each 10’ split (or sequence) would have had a (+0) after it. The 178 sequence (2’@17/2’@19/2’@17/2’@19/2’@17), for example, totals 2028m. (Targets: 17 spm pace- 2.30, 19 spm pace-2.25). The goal is to be as close as possible to the target meters for sequence. A 50m overage is not good! :cry: MC once wrote that being over in meters is not a huge deal, as long as you are consistent in your overages. And for the most part I am--my average overage seems to be in the +30s , but that is too high! My actual 17 pace is more like 2.27 (pace for 18), and my 19 pace is more like 2.22 (pace for 20). But, in order to get the full benefit from it, my goal is to reduce it to 1-2 seconds. Also, while no one is perfect, the goal would be to stay at 17 spm for a much as the 2’ as possible. I found that I would do a couple of 17s then have a 18 thrown in, then go back to 17, then 18, then to 16, etc. so the average was right but the execution left a lot to be desired, hence the problem with the mind wandering. If I can stop thinking then my rate stays consistent.

One of the main tenants of the WP is do complete at least 1 hour long constant row a week—MC believes it should be an L3. L3s are based on distance/pace, L4s are based on time/rate. Since L4s are broken into time sequences, there are a number of variations on the workouts. 40’, 50’, 60’, and 70’. Theoretically you could do a 24 hr row in a L4 format. (Plummy—your next attempt, a freakishly long L4 workout?)

So if you were to start the plan this week (theoretically): You would start out at an L4 of 40’ @ an average spm of 18.0 (you can create this workout from any combo of sequences as long as the total number of strokes divided by # of minutes = 18.0). The next L4 would be either a 50’ @ 18.0 with a different combo of sequences or if you found the 40’ hard redo that workout. The next week would be an average of 18.1 spm @ 50 minutes. The goal would be to increase the time of the L4 to 70’ or 80’. This is all based on the original WP document. In season, I do 60’ L4 the majority of time.

The L3 is done by distance. The goal is to get to 16k per session. Starting out at 12k continuous—for me that is around 55 minutes so I just go 60’. Each week, is to either increase distance and/or pace A LITTLE until you get to 16k. Actually looking back over the wpnotes (http://www.eudemonia.co.uk/wp%20notes.pdf) MC says you can start at 10k. WPnotes seems to be more geared toward “real” people—not elite athletes.

p.s. I finally put the little guy outside. He was there for hours!

Alan, my suggestion is to do a 2k test and use that as your ref pace. If not, use your most recent test (or race), if you find that is too hard or too easy adjust from there. Alan, I don't know if MC advocates strapless or not, I just do it for technique. I will say I have not read anything (sorry William, please let me know if I am wrong) where MC suggests a L4 workout at 16 spm only. They are built into the L4 sequences, but only for a max of 4' at a time. Variation of rates are the most important aspect of the L4.

William, seems like an interesting schedule you have going there...What is your ref pace if I may ask? My 16 pace is supposed to be RF+300.

Iain, from my reading you are trying to do an L4 at a constant rate restricted 2k pb+2??? No wonder you are tired.... The reference pace is meant to set up your L4 paces, which are generally 20-30 seconds slower than your 2k time for each rate. What is your best 2k split? If it is 2:00, then...

Pace per Stroke Rate
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
02:30 02:28 02:25 02:23 02:20 02:17 02:15 02:13 02:10 02:07 02:05

warmup/recovery pace is to be 2:49.

I find the L4s to be challenging, but I could always go for longer. They are meant to be a workout but not at all "high 'effort'".

I switch from the PPBT to the WP at the end of December at that point my reference pace for the L4s was 2.04, then I changed it after the Bs. I realized now I should not change it every time I do a new 2k time. It should be yearly or biyearly change only... Then after the change you adjust your average spms per workout (say if I was doing a 19.3 ave sequences, and changed my ref pace, I would reset my L4s to 18.3 ave spm).

I hope that answers all questions so far. Keep 'em coming, as I am realizing more how much I know, and more about what I don't know. :D
RachelR

Post by RachelR »

Emily thank you, that is very helpful and it makes a lot more sense now too :)
jbh
Free Spirit

Post by jbh »

Emily - do you have a blog? If not you should - or a book :!: I could read your posts all day :D Very informative with all the pertinent detail, blended with subtle humor. Great stuff :P
59, 1.89m, 95Kg(ish)
William

Post by William »

It looks like you've read the WP a little more carefully than I have, Emily. When I revise my WP after Farnborough I'm going to convert one of my long level 4 workouts to a 16K level 3. My 30 mins @ 16 spm are really a warm up, but in keeping with the spirit of the WP I believe - I used to do a sort of Eddie Fletcher warm up, but now I reserve that for time trials on Monday mornings. My 2K reference pace is 1:43 based on an average of 4 competitive times during the season just gone. However I do my Level 1 and 2 intervals at about 2 seconds slower pace than MC stipulates, but I plan to speed up after Farnborough. I admire you for wrestling with the complexities of the variable stroke rates of Level 4 workouts. I tend to settle into a rhythm and hold a steady 20 or 22 spm at about the recommended pace or a fraction faster. Or sometimes, for variety I just target a pace and try to keep the rate as slow as possible.

Iain, the Level 4 workouts are meant to be sustainable, unless you've very new to them when they're tough on the thigh muscles, especially the hamstrings. It would be interesting to know how you plan your weekly workouts, and how long you've been doing the WP, but if I had your problem, I'd do my Level 1 and 2 workouts early in the week when I'm fresh (MC says the Level 1 is the key workout) and then do the Level 3 and 4 workouts later in week as best I can. MC's other emphasis is on quality, so perhaps it would be helpful for you aim at a good quality 20 minute L4 workout, give yourself a break, and then do another 20 minutes, gradually merging the 2 blocks by having shorter breaks. (I assume I've misunderstood your claim to be doing L4 at 2K PB+2, but if that's in fact what you're doing, ignore what I've written and take note of Emily's advice.)
PBs 2006-2009

SimonJ
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by SimonJ »

Another ad hoc WP follower comming out of the woodwork here!

Tonight for me 60mins of L4 (I'm away eating a drinking for the weekend, so needed to get some good work in before hand). Normally I stick to 1 or 2 sequences in any one session (e.g. 196/200/200/196), to avoid brain overload, but decided to try something a bit different for a change

2415/2:04.2/19/190 (+30)
2427/2:03.6/19/192 (+38)
2427/2:03.6/19/194 (+26)
2428/2:03.6/19/196 (+19)
2435/2:03.2/20/198 (+23)
2444/2:02.7/20/200 (+16)
14601m @2:03.5

I use a reference pace of 1:46, but all of my L4 pieces come out at ~1:45. I've tended to concentrate more on hitting the ratings (and give myself mental brownie points hit hitting the rates on the changes), rather than exactly getting the splits spot on. I tend to do the splits by feel (i.e. relaxed but positive) and keep the same rythmn up and down the ratings.

Next week's highlight will be another crack at my 6k (I guess that'll be my L3 piece). Oh, and my birthday (hence the eating and drinking at the weekend) :D
Sarah may also have another crack at one, but you might be a bit too quick for her this month, Emily.

Simon
Simon 43, 5ft9, lwt

nomugie

Post by nomugie »

I had a feeling I wasn't alone!

Thanks for your comments.

William, it sounds like you have come up with a WP version that works for you... I do love the challenge of the sequences. Sometimes I get very very frustrated, but I think in the long haul it will work itself out. Now is the time for me to correct myself as I am not planning on competing again until next Feb...Stick with it through Farnborough as you mentioned, I do look forward to your post-F adventures...

Simon, Welcome to the publicly committed to the WP club! In-season I don't do 6 different sequences, but it makes it easier as I don't currently plan my L4s (I can't imagine I will do anything more than 19.5 this summer). Now, I just read my post-it (which has rate/pace and sequences) and pick and choose which sequence I want to do. I too am working on maintaining rates and making them quality (as William mentioned)...that is why normally I cover the pace with my post-it (I love my post-it! :lol: ). I will go back to the start in October with a 18.0 series, then build from there...Sarah can take me out, I have no doubt. Tell her that it is nice to have someone to compare too in the CTC. She was my inspiration last month! p.s. by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Today for me...

Bike: 48.8k/23.0 My first 30 mile ride of the year over one of my favorite routes which had 2 long, though not steep, hills. It as hot today, over 80 degrees in April...Ick! See this is why I now consider cycling my slow sport... :oops: :D
William

Post by William »

I was browsing the American C2 site and noticed a thread on the WP:

http://www.c2forum.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... fa3c2da06b

The first post contains a lot of useful references and links to MC's writings on the WP if anyone is interested.

Thanks Emily, I will stick with current version of WP until Farnborough (only 5 weeks to go). I did once try to do a variable pace L4 workout and more or less got it right, increasing the rating by 2 spm every ten minutes, but it requires a lot of concentration and I prefer to go into a sort of transcendental meditation fugue once I've got my rhythm and wake up when it's all over. Your bicycle ride sounds like good fun, but cycling in Colchester (on the roads) is very dangerous as we have a lot of Essex men in white vans over here on a dedicated mission to kill cyclists.
PBs 2006-2009

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Hi Emily,

glad to find out you are not alone! :D

Not that I can join you and the other WP´ers literally - guess I´m too eclectic to fit in one plan !? :-k

Keep up the good work!! 8)

Erik P

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
kirbyt

Post by kirbyt »

Like Erik, I'm glad to see this thread too. I think this is the toughest plan out there this side of Olympic training regimes. But it is also the best thought out and most comprehensive plan--I think. I have a bit of a dumb question regarding L4 paces: I know about the 2k reference pace table and equivalent L4 paces for various stroke rates but...what do you use as your 2k reference pace--PB, current or goal 2k pace? And maybe more importantly, do you change the reference pace as your training progresses (ie. you get faster)?
54 years old probably around 77kg.
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

Thanks for posting the link William. I am constantly on that thread--it is my main source of info re: WP. It took me a while to get into the rhythm of rate changes ever 2'...now I am more used to that that doing steady state non-rate restricted workouts. Sounds like a wise move not to ride where you live. Riding around here can also be challenging, my theory is that I am not going to get killed by a single car hitting me, but by flying sheet metal from the car accident caused by impatient drivers trying to get around me... :?

Erik, eclectic you are! Whatever you are doing is working (and will help you to return to full strength). ^O^ You are always welcome to join the club. The more the merrier...

Kirby, the reference pace is based on what you have done, not what you want to do. (MC says that is the biggest mistake people make.) It is your pb time at the beginning of the training season. If in your 2nd season, your pb is slower than last year, you would readjust the RP to the slower one. Though I have not heard of anyone actually doing that! :lol: From what I have read, MC prescribes to sticking with your 2k ref pace throughout a season and not changing it even if you have a pb mid-way through. There are exceptions and RPs are changeable, but for the most part the L4s stay stable. If you get faster, than that is reflected in the L1, L2, and L3 workouts. (p.s. Did you notice that as a nod to you, I added the -esque in the thread title... :wink: :fsbgrin: )

Today for me...another ride...20mi (easier route than yesterday) at 14.5mph or so. Tired from yesterday. Tomorrow's ride should be REALLY slow, I am ready for Tuesday--a day off!
kirbyt

Post by kirbyt »

Yes, Em, I did notice the esque (much more elegant than ish I might add). I still do low rate work virtually every week. But I now see that my low rate work is way too fast for my current fitness--matching a 2k ref pace of 1:36-37 :shock: no wonder I can only do 2 sets of ten minutes.

There's a guy at my work who commutes by bicycle all year long even in the dead of Edmonton's cruel winter and short days--very brave if you ask me.
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

nomugie wrote:Iain, from my reading you are trying to do an L4 at a constant rate restricted 2k pb+2??? No wonder you are tired.... The reference pace is meant to set up your L4 paces, which are generally 20-30 seconds slower than your 2k time for each rate. What is your best 2k split? If it is 2:00, then...

Pace per Stroke Rate
16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
02:30 02:28 02:25 02:23 02:20 02:17 02:15 02:13 02:10 02:07 02:05
Thanks for the reply. I have never done the full WP for more than a couple of weeks. My 2k+2 was the reference pace I used (i.e. 2S slower than my true PB pace). Over 40' typical workout was 25-35m over on first 10', ~20m on second, ~10m on third and struggled to make distance on 4th. I know I need better control on the earlier intervals. I found these worked well on a 3 day a week routine, but I needed the day's rest. A 10k at a similar average pace at 22SPM allows me to recover for L or L2 the following day. L4 leaves me very stiff.

I have stopped these now I have restarted PP. I think I was laying back too far to achieve the required L4 paces and now struggle on 25SPM or higher, so I have curt the low rate work for a while and things are a little more comfortable. as said on other threads, I think my problem may be a lack of sleep as I regularly get less than 6 hrs a night and it may be that this lack of recovery is causing the problem.

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
nomugie

Post by nomugie »

Kirby, you are right -esque is more elegant than -ish. Feel free to use Petesque... :lol:

Iain, the WP L4s are definitely difficult. I have found that the key to lower rates is actually to slow down on the recovery. I mean really slow down. I have heard of people counting to four. That has never worked for me, but I have heard of it. It takes practice. I am able to now get down to 9 spm while warming up and cooling down without stopping anywhere in the stroke. Granted on my next stroke the monitor freaks out and jumps to 62 spms... :shock:

You seem to be happy on the PP and your knowledge of the plan is impressive. I know first hand. You helped me greatly when I was starting on the PPBT. (Thank you, by the way. Your response to my questions is one of the reasons I joined FS.) Pete must appreciate having you around to answer questions that he doesn't want to answer... :D

Today for me...a PERFECT riding day! Went 30k at 25kph. Had originally planned on erging to do the facebook April challenge, but things change. Maybe I will do it tomorrow (or not). It would be nice to put a new pb on the last day of the season. Admittedly, I am nervous. I have no idea what I am capable of doing at the moment. I have a feeling I will be the slowest person. Monday, I rode 33K at 25.5 kph. I think it is going to rain this weekend, so I may be hanging with the erg!
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Like Kirby and Ian, on the rare occasions I have done a WP level 4 I was using far too fast a reference pace.

I was using a 2k time of 6:44-8, which I aspire to this season, so it was a struggle even doing 180 for 60 mins-though a good workout :oops:

Now I have a reference-I am going to use 1:43 -rounding down for the season and as you say Emily-hopefully see the quicker times on levels 1,2,3.

This is a great and very useful thread-thank you and all the contributors :D
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
William

Post by William »

strider77 wrote:Like Kirby and Ian, on the rare occasions I have done a WP level 4 I was using far too fast a reference pace.
Using too fast a reference pace is obviously a common problem. For the last 2 years I've been using a 2K reference pace that is more related to the 2k I want to do, instead of what I can do. The result has been some very tiring early week anaerobic workouts that have actually wrecked training sessions later in the week. Since starting the WP I've deliberately gone for a slow reference pace and found that (a) my interval sessions are much more enjoyable (b) I'm actually getting better - at least over 5K.
At the moment, though, because of an intercostal injury, I'm just doing 10K sessions at about best 10K + about 8 seconds pace and at about 26 spm (i.e. as fast as I can go without feeling pain). I guess they're WP Level 3.5 sessions (neither fast enough to be Level 3 or slow rating enough to be Level 4). Although it's very frustrating not to be able to go flat out or use full power, it's probably helping my technique because it forces me to think about my legs rather than arms and body. I'd be interested to know what anyone else thinks of this compromise. Or do people wait until they're fully recovered before getting back on the erg?
PBs 2006-2009

RachelR

Post by RachelR »

Hi William, it sounds as though you are still managing a decent workout there despite your injury.

As I understand from the plan - which I have been re-reading today a little - the level 3 workouts are long steady sessions and the pace is calculated from the 2k reference pace x 1.156. If your reference pace were 1.48 that would give 1.57.9 so I think if I understand both the paln and what you were saying above that your 'recovery' workouts are at least level 3 :D

Here's hoping you feel better soon and can have more variety with your workouts.
William

Post by William »

Thanks for that encouragement Rachel. In the circumstances I'm reasonably pleased with the workouts. The PP suggests PB pace +4-7 secs for the "steady 8-15K" workouts so I'm only about 3 seconds out. Hopefully the high volume is keeping me reasonably fit although there's not much cardiovascular challenge at present. Next week I'll speed up a couple of seconds if my recovery continues. Best wishes, William
PBs 2006-2009

kirbyt

Post by kirbyt »

For what it's worth, William, I think you can continue to train with the injury as long as it's not getting any worse. I pulled one of my intercostals last summer right when I was in the thick of training for BIRC. I found it okay to train at modest paces and even to do a little bit of speedwork but the kind of low rate work I had been doing (at the aforementioned overly ambitious pace) really seemed to aggravate it. I was only able to resume full power type stuff after a couple of months but it did go away albeit slowly. I found it quite a frustrating injury--the intercostals seem to be involved not only in breathing but in what I would call bracing or stabilising the upper body. One of the physios I went to see at the time said that the injury had actually occured where the tendon attaches to the spine even though I felt it farther away, maybe six inches from the spine.
William

Post by William »

Good to hear from a fellow sufferer of intercostal strains, Kirby and thanks for the advice. Over the last three years, I've had about 4 episodes of intercostal strain of varying intensity. Average duration about 6 weeks before becoming symptom free. The curious thing about them is that they often seem to get worse before they get better. My policy is to take as little time off rowing as possible, but to adjust the rowing so that it's pain free on the drive. (Sneezing is agony, turning over in bed is painful, laughter is best avoided and the Powerbreathe is pretty uncomfortable. But strangely, a controlled drive with relaxed shoulder muscles and lats is quite bearable.) The worst thing for me, as you say, is the L4 at low rates and max power. I'd had a niggle between my ribs for about 2 weeks which I ignored until overdid the power bit at 16 spm when something seemed to snap and I virtually had to handle down. When I resume my L4 workouts, I may not go down below 20 spm, which is a shame as I think there's a lot of benefit in the very slow rates. Best wishes for the BIRC this year if you're coming over. (BTW I note we're separated by only a couple of millimetres (vertically) on the Meter Board.)
PBs 2006-2009

RachelR

Post by RachelR »

Tonight for me:

40' L4
I tried the following sequences 168, 172, 176, 172.

Total 7273m target was 7302 diff -29

168 was 1806, target 1813 -6
172 was 1819 " 1825 -6
176 was 1830 " 1840 -10
172 was 1818 " 1825 -7

As this was my first proper effort I was pleased with the consistency average SR was 17 @ 2.45 :)

This session also put me over a million metres for the season too :D