Security and Performance Update

Where should the web site go - what should we do? Who has the time between rows?

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Security and Performance Update

Post by Thomas W-P »

Executive Summary:
I have made a change behind the scenes in the site that should speed it up and increase security. This may result in you needing to fill in a CAPTCHA before getting to the site. IF (this should be rare) you get a CAPTCHA it is likely that you have a virus so in that unlikely event you should run an anti-virus scanner.

The detail:
On another site I run, I recently moved to CloudFlare to protect (and speed up) the site (here's where I heard about it). It appears to work well and the site seems faster. Part of this move means changing the DNS for freespiritsrowing.com, and this should be complete by 0:00 GMT on Monday 20th June. Under the system you may get a challenge page before you are granted access to the site. You can still access the forum by passing the captcha.

From the Cloudflare site
Cloudflare wrote:Only a small number of your forum members will see the challenge page...the challenge page will appear if there are indications that their machine is infected with a computer virus or malware. The best thing to do is to run an anti-virus scan on their machine as a precaution...there are false positives with the data, but it is most common when the visitor is coming from a shared network like an office, college network or coffee shop. What this means is that although their computer isn't infected, someone else on the same network does have an issue. Your community member should run an anti-virus scan as a precaution. If there is no virus or malware, then they can enter the CAPTCHA to access the forum. The data set will refine over time.
Please make any observations, good or bad, on this thread - the change can be reversed at any time.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
webberg
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Re: Security and Performance Update

Post by webberg »

Thanks Thomas.

I would observe that I don'tb have the first idea what you're talking about but the site continues to work well and is a tribute to you and those who help you.
Uphill to the finish

ID 140904
mark88man
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by mark88man »

Was the cloudflare experience easy? I saw a review that as a by product of increased securtiy you got increased performance

Mark
Mark, 52, 1.90m, was 125kg (on 12/1/2015), now 110kg having been briefly at 99kg in 2016
Used to be this good (2007/8 Seasons)
Am now this good - (2017 Season)
Thomas W-P
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Thomas W-P »

As long as you know what DNS is and can access your nameservers it is easy. And I do think that there is a significant speed increase, though this is anecdotal. It is something to do with it optimising the javascript and HTML I think.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days