what training have free spirits been doing today?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: what training have free spirits been doing today?

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:I can make myself available to suit to be honest. How much are flights at short notice?
Thanks plummy. Just had a look now and it varies quite a lot. Matches in Old Trafford have a huge impact on air fares - Man City also have an impact, but not quite as much. If you fancy coming over for a weekend at some stage, you're very welcome to stay with us and I'll pick you up from the airport. But coming over specially to help me fit a new chain is probably not a viable option.

I'm going to a wedding on Saturday 25th and I'm hoping to have my erg back up and running before then. Not sure when the new chain and sprocket will arrive - hopefully it will be before the weekend. I spoke to one of the maintenance staff in the gym yesterday and he told me that they have a guy in house who services all their cardio equipment (it's a chain of 3 gyms). I gave him my contact details and he said he'd ask his colleague to call me. I explained that I was going to try to do it myself, but wanted a back up plan.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Decided I needed to start building some mental fortitude by doing a HM. First time in about 3 months I've done anything over (or even close to an hour) in a single piece. My primary objective was to finish ("there's no such thing as a bad HM" as someone famously said), but preferably under 90 minutes and ideally sub 2:05 pace.

I felt fairly OK at around 2:03 pace for the first 10k or so, but then began to slow down. I decided not to fight it as my key objective was to see it though to the end and my pace fell to around 2:10 from around the 15k mark. But I managed to keep going and finished in 1:28:20.4 @ 2:05.6 pace - so 2 out of 3 objectives achieved. As Meatloaf says....
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
BigWaveDave
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by BigWaveDave »

Nicely done Paul, need to think about doing another HM soon myself.

Decided on doing some steady 500's today, started at a very gentle 2:07.5 and then reduced each by 0.5, so 2nd was 2:07, then 2:06.5 each with 1 minute rest. Ended up getting to 1:58 for the 19th and then pushed a bit harder to 1:52 for the last one
BigWaveDave
52 yrs, 6' 14st 11lb
PB's
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Nice disciplined session Dave.
E-Clair
Spends too much time in the forum
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by E-Clair »

Changing my program so will have shorter sessions but two sessions on some days. This will let me get in more UT2 even if I skip one session. Also, resistance training crowded out to once per seven days now. Will find out if my joints can handle this. Tentative schedule if no breaks

Day1: 10'; UT1 2x12'/3'r
    PM UT2 2x20'/90"r
    Day2: UT2 2x20'/90"r
    Day3: 15'; AT 2x8'/4'r; 10'
    Day4: UT2 2x20'/90"r
    PM UT2 2x20'/90"r
    Day5: UT2 2x20'/90"r
    PM UT2 2x20'/90"r
    Day6: UT2 2x20'/90"r
    Day7: 15'; abbreviated weights

First session after weights is UT1 since hard for me to keep that session in UT2. First day is in the books.
    e-Clair
    He who eats the most custard wins.
    Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

New chain and sprocket arrived this morning! I have to go out for a while, but will try to sort out the erg when I get back. I have a feeling this might take a lot longer than last Friday's HM. :roll: :? :lol:
    Ian Bee
    Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

Tee'd off week 7 of my slightly adapted Pete Plan (first round) with a stead 10km (42.18, WR split of 2.05 for what its worth). Still feeling the after effects of the hour of torture from last week occasionally referred to as 'Body Pump'.
    Tgtaylor
    Warming up

Post by Tgtaylor »

I Have been trying to get back into rowing since beginning of September, after spending most of my summer re-landscaping my front garden. Even last week HD on what i normally think is an easy HM, limped home on another HM in 1:33:32.1 oh what pain. :shock: :? On Saturday looked at The CTC and thought i will have to give it a go (absolutely hate these middle distance rows). Still i gave it my all, and was delighted at the result which was much better than i could have hope for :D . I have never seen my heart rate above 155 before and to see it at 168 was a bit of a shock :shock: (so much for 120-age rule) :lol: . this gave me a huge lift and decided to go for a marathon the next day. so i clocked it up as i wanted 1K splits and wow!!!! yes a 2:58:45.8 my first sub 3 Hour of the season. But then noticed the distance i clocked in 42,197 :oops: :oops: :oops: #-o #-o #-o (think i might have done a few too many HM's). so I will have to do another #-o
    And as the British record for 60-69 male heavyweight (my category) is 2:56:29.9 I think i know what my first aim will be this season.
    Trev Age 60 184cm 84-89Kg Started Rowing Oct 2014
    plummy
    Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by plummy »

I think we can excuse doing an extra 2m on a marathon - it didn't adversely affect your time so I'd take that. Nice one by the way.
    I'm yet to do one this season and I'm having difficulty motivating myself to sit there for 3 hours+ at any pace.
    60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
    43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
    Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Very impressive Trevor. =D> =D> =D> I think you could quite legitimately enter that as an FM in the online rankings.If you want to be ultra fastidious, you could at the very least enter a pro rated time in the nonathlon, knocking off 0.5 seconds for the extra 2 meters. British record is definitely on the cards - go for it!
    CamiCrew
    Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

Trevor that is a serious comeback... discovering you are that close to a record. Was re-landscaping the front yard your secret? I'm thinking you've replicated Stonehenge and built formidable muscle in the process... :lol: Anyway my yard could use some work. If it will help you out, it is here waiting for you... [-o<

Great job & good to see you back.

p.s. I actually did move several loads of pea gravel yesterday, for a spot in the front yard. There's something wonderful about a wheelbarrow. :D
    -barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
    zootMutant
    I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Trevor, that's a seriously good time for someone who has spent the summer slacking off! =D>

Barbara might be right - working on your garden might be the key. If you decide to try for the record, you should probably take her up on that offer! :lol:
    Tgtaylor
    Warming up

Post by Tgtaylor »

Come on Plummy, I thought a M would be a walk in the park in comparison to your world record rows! :lol:

Thanks Paul I I have used the time for the nonathlon, and will be in training for the record from now on. 8-[

Sorry Barbara haven’t quite finished mine yet, and have yet to find any extra muscle (maybe the stones I used were too small (brick size)) #-o. Still I will know better next time (if there is one).

Zoot you are right, I did slack off a bit on the rowing over summer, but will hope to make up for it soon. :fsbgrin:
    strider77
    Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Great time Trev, the BR is definitely on well done mate =D> ^O^
    [b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
    [img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
    Jill
    I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

This probably isn’t the right place to post this, but I have been doing some training for a while now, so that I can compete in a 100,000m WR relay attempt on Saturday.

Earlier in the year, I was contacted, through Plummy, by Georgina Price, ( Forum Flyers ) and asked if I would be interested in joining a club called the Diamonds, an over 60’s group of rowers who were interested in taking part in various competitions.

I was rather taken aback and thought ‘ no way ‘ but Georgina was charmingly persuasive ( she said that lady rowers over 60 were like gold dust - flattery is a very cunning and successful sort of ploy ). I said okay.

Since then, I’ve experienced all sorts of emotions, the dominant two being doubt and fear, and I’m constantly worrying all the time that “ I’ve bitten off more than I can chew ". On the other hand, I’m going to be with an experienced group of great rowers who have all been very supportive. We will also be setting a marker with our attempt which has taken the pressure off somewhat and helped me feel a little more confident.

I’ve been practising 10 x 200m sprints with 3 minute rests - have been able to hold 50 seconds for each 200m - don’t think I can go any faster than that without running into trouble. Just hope that I won’t drop the pace too much or conk out altogether.

We were originally 5 ladies and 5 men but I think we are now down to 4 men and possibly 5 ladies still, as one of us, Denise, tore a ligament in her foot a few months ago and she still isn’t 100% fit.

Flying down to Newquay tomorrow ( Friday ) and returning home on Sunday.

I’m determined to give it my best shot - I’ll not only be flying the flag for the Diamonds but also for Free Spirits.

I’ll let you know how we get on.

Barbara, I shall be wearing your lovely gift to me, The Pink Star socks.
    zootMutant
    I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by zootMutant »

Pink Star socks? How cool is that? :P

This sounds like a great opportunity! You've been racking up metres... you've been working on sprints... I'm sure you'll do fine. :fsbgrin:

How far is each of the relays? Can't wait to hear how it goes! Best of wishes!

Cheers,
    zoot
    Grobi
    Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
    Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Jill, that sounds like a great adventure and with all the training you've been doing lately I'm convinced you'll be successful. Best of luck for Saturday and keep us posted. I guess you'll be the pink diamond then? :D :fswink:
    Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Jill wrote:This probably isn’t the right place to post this, but I have been doing some training for a while now, so that I can compete in a 100,000m WR relay attempt on Saturday.
    Jill I am insanely proud of you for this! I think it deserves its own thread but I also love that you casually drop your World Record relay attempt under the daily training thread. You are a superstar! The best kind.
    jill wrote:I’m determined to give it my best shot - I’ll not only be flying the flag for the Diamonds but also for Free Spirits.
    Awesome and very inspirational. Will be cheering you every step of the way.
    jill wrote:Barbara, I shall be wearing your lovely gift to me, The Pink Star socks.
    Yay! :fsbgrin: Lucky socks, important. :wink:

You go girl! 8)
    -barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
    Sheena
    Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
    Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Sheena »

Jill wrote:I’ve been practising 10 x 200m sprints with 3 minute rests - have been able to hold 50 seconds for each 200m - don’t think I can go any faster than that without running into trouble.
    Great pace Jill, I'm sure you'll do well and most importantly have a lot of fun.
    I hope you have a bottle of Pink Champagne ready :fsbgrin:

We'll be thinking of you on Saturday, can't wait to hear how it goes.

All the best
    Sheena and Jan
    Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Jill wrote:This probably isn’t the right place to post this, but I have been doing some training for a while now, so that I can compete in a 100,000m WR relay attempt on Saturday.

Earlier in the year, I was contacted, through Plummy, by Georgina Price, ( Forum Flyers ) and asked if I would be interested in joining a club called the Diamonds, an over 60’s group of rowers who were interested in taking part in various competitions.

I was rather taken aback and thought ‘ no way ‘ but Georgina was charmingly persuasive ( she said that lady rowers over 60 were like gold dust - flattery is a very cunning and successful sort of ploy ). I said okay.

Since then, I’ve experienced all sorts of emotions, the dominant two being doubt and fear, and I’m constantly worrying all the time that “ I’ve bitten off more than I can chew ". On the other hand, I’m going to be with an experienced group of great rowers who have all been very supportive. We will also be setting a marker with our attempt which has taken the pressure off somewhat and helped me feel a little more confident.

I’ve been practising 10 x 200m sprints with 3 minute rests - have been able to hold 50 seconds for each 200m - don’t think I can go any faster than that without running into trouble. Just hope that I won’t drop the pace too much or conk out altogether.

We were originally 5 ladies and 5 men but I think we are now down to 4 men and possibly 5 ladies still, as one of us, Denise, tore a ligament in her foot a few months ago and she still isn’t 100% fit.

Flying down to Newquay tomorrow ( Friday ) and returning home on Sunday.

I’m determined to give it my best shot - I’ll not only be flying the flag for the Diamonds but also for Free Spirits.

I’ll let you know how we get on.

Barbara, I shall be wearing your lovely gift to me, The Pink Star socks.
    Jill, the very best of luck tomorrow. I was originally due to take part, but Jennifer and I were invited to a wedding on Saturday. It's the daughter of a very good friend of ours and, much and all as I would like to be in Newquay tomorrow, I felt it wouldn't really be considered a valid excuse for not going to the wedding!

I took part in a large mixed team 100k relay as part of the Diamonds in Shrewsbury in January this year. They're a great group of people and the camaraderie and support that everyone gave to everyone else was amazing. We covered the 100k in just over 5 hours 50 minutes, well inside our target time of 6 hours. It was tough, but not as tough as I expected it to be, because there was a great buzz and adrenalin kept everyone going. One member of the team was so determined, she kept going long past the point of exhaustion and actually crawled away from the machine after each of her last few intervals.

We had a lovely meal afterwards and I was really looking forward to meeting up with the group again, but can't make it for the reason mentioned above. I'm sure you'll have a great time and will probably surprise yourself. Joe Keating is great at keeping things going and at editing the approach on the fly if people are struggling. He got us to reduce the length of our intervals in January when it became apparent that they were just a little bit too long for the type of sprinting we were doing.

Enjoy! And please tell everyone I said hi and that I send my best wishes.
    plummy

Post by plummy »

Good luck Jill. I went to the Shrewsbury event last year for moral support (and to help by running around fetching and carrying) and it was great to see everyone pitching it with whatever they had in the tank. You'll be fine - and don't worry about your pace compared to others (as I know you will have been doing). Do what you can and everyone will support you massively for it.
    60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
    43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
    Tgtaylor
    Warming up

Post by Tgtaylor »

Head hunted for a WR attempt, that’s fantastic =D> =D> =D> .
    Hope all goes well Jill. [-o<
    Wishing you all the best. :fsbgrin:
    strider77
    Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Bes of luck on Saturday Jill-have a blast :wink:
    [b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
    [img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
    Caratacus
    Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Caratacus »

Good luck! Looking forward to the report and hopefully some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Felton H
    Tako

Post by Tako »

Good luck! Sounds like a great event!!
    \:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺