Web site renewal

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Web site renewal

Post by Thomas W-P »

I just got invoiced for the next year of hosting. It has crept up over the years and is now $98. Donations still trickle in but don't cover the cost.

If 16 people became subscribers at £5 a year this would cover it, we currently have 2.

I'll sort out this year, but I really don't row at all, and haven't for many years. I keep the meterboard going but never look at it. I'm not sure this is sustainable.

Anyone got any ideas?
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
MaxMacLaren1
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Web site renewal

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Hi, Thank you, that is very generous but I agree you shouldn't have to. These ideas are simply based on my experience having joined earlier this year...
- On joining, I don't remember receiving any communication that might have prompted a donation or even made me aware one could donate. I only found out about donations because I wondered why some people's names were in red or green and then investigated.
- The current donation links are not very clear. The one under About is not listed and the one under Links feels like an after thought. A permanent pinned topic might be better or at least changed wording.
- The subscription link feels like a missed opportunity. The suggestion of £5 or £10 I felt acted as a barrier to higher amounts, a £20 and £25 option could be added.
- PayPal has a box for monthly payment which seems optimistic, annual might be better.
- I've not been a member for a year but is a nice reminder set out e.g. thank you for your donation last year.

So really it's about making it easy and making people feel good for contributing e.g. as part of the ethos of Free Spirits people are free to donate or not but we do incur some costs in running the club and keeping the forum up to date. A number of members give their time freely and contributions are greatly welcomed etc etc.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Juergie
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Juergie »

Promotion!

I had no idea how this website "works". I'm more than willing to pay to keep this site up and running. So I just subscribed and hope many members will do so, too.
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I think I recently subscribed as it's not so long ago I "went green" on my name. That said, I'm possibly guilty of simply forgetting how long it is since I last paid and suddenly 2 years have passed. For me, I think it should be obligatory for anyone (over 16 anyway) to pay a minimal "subs" to be a member of the group owing to costs incurred. I admit that the majority of maintenance (Nonathlon/welcome/seasons millions/lifetime millions etc) threads cost nothing but volunteer time and effort and there are many in the team who may have English as a second language so may feel very reluctant to volunteer to join in with forum activity but I don't believe for one second that all group members don't look at the meterboard regularly if not obsessively (it being a key motivator). That alone has got to be worth a fiver a year (pounds/dollars or Euros - whatever).

Maybe the joining date should be the prompt for subs?

If everyone stumped up a "fiver" it would actually raise a lot more than needed but I'm sure we could creative in doing something with the excess (random draw of names for free team kit gear or entry fee to a race on behalf of the team.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Caratacus

Post by Caratacus »

Just subscribed, £5 a year is basically free considering the amount I use the site. Surely we can get at least 16 subscribers from those who actively use the forum/meterboard?
Felton H
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Thank you very much. I realised we had three subscribers, not two at the time of the first part, now we have five!

And another generous donation means I'm over half way to this year's total.

Thank you
Rodger

Post by Rodger »

I made a donation 2 or 3 weeks ago. I can make it a yearly subscription next time.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

I'd add support to prompts for donations. The hive mind cultivated here alone is worth a sub for me.
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

plummy wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:25 pm ...but I don't believe for one second that all group members don't look at the meterboard regularly if not obsessively (it being a key motivator). That alone has got to be worth a fiver a year (pounds/dollars or Euros - whatever).
Can the names on the meterboard be marked red or green to indicate who has contributed? Also as Dave alludes to earlier in his post there are more red and green names than contributors which suggests there isn't a review process. It is easy to forget to pay annually, or change a bank account so an automatic renewal isn't made. Is names reverted to normal that would be a reminder or "nudge".
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Names on the meterboard would be a challenge, but possible with effort. I'd have to remember to record the donor list in two places though since I'm not keen to start addressing the forum database with my code any more (very minor lyrics!) than I do already.

I change the colour and icon of the donor ranks each year so I hoped people would see the colour change each year. :fswink:

Daffy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Daffy »

Thanks for the work you put in Thomas! Donation made just now. I was thinking that I would definitely benefit from a nudge, but then I thought I could always use a diary/phone prompt. :idea: :idea: :idea: I've put it in my diary now!
Draggon
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Draggon »

Just needed this reminder. Thanks for all you do, Thomas!
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Thomas, although I already have an August diary date reminder, the Underwood duo would be happy to fall in with any new arrangements.

Thank you and the other Free Spirit elves, for working your behind the scenes magic, in order to keep us all afloat. =D> :D
Tako

Post by Tako »

Hi Thomas

Did you receive enough donations for the renewal or still some pounds lacking?

Not sure whether my skills and schedule allow, but if you have not received any feedback yet regarding maintenance of the website I would like to volunteer as an apprentice. But it might require some time and patience to get me on a level where I can support and be a stand in until you return to the erg again ;-)

Maybe we can discuss more on a different channel (please mail/PM me your preferred channel for communication).
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
fkoene
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by fkoene »

Just made a subscription. So that's another one. Thanks for the work you put into it.
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

i will sort something out too. good to hear from you Thomas
pb times
Bangers
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by Bangers »

Thomas, a big thank you for all your efforts over past years in keeping the FS web sites running.
Like you I haven't rowed much during the last couple of years, my absence being due to a hip flexor problems.

Hope the bike riding is going well, and I trust you're still doing your bit to maintain Cadburys' profits :lol:
Roger B
M 81, 5'8", 74kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

Great to hear from you Bangers! :-)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
InlineJinn

Post by InlineJinn »

Add my thanks and donation as well! Free Spirits is motivational marvel, and I'm grateful for the Meterboard and the Forums, both of which keep me company in my rowing. I'm very happy to help support this fine group of folks who have come together thanks to the website. Without it, I'd just be .... rowing by myself :'-(

John B.
63, 5'8" lwt, C2 D PM5, started 1/2015, certified mileage nut but then I found hot yoga but then I hurt my shoulders but then I had surgery and now I can still row and do hot yoga yay!
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Thank you everyone. I feel very motivated and not out of pocket any more. :fsgrin: I'm going to look at buying some software the might make adding the meterboard badges possible for a volunteer.

Yes, cycling. You don't break your ribs very often on an ergonomic, do you, but I've done both sides now.

Wolfie provided me with a perfect pitstop on a 320k/200 mile ride the other day, and pointedly not the was nothing stopping me doing the CTC at least. I missed August but will endeavour to do September (and on).

I'm still 20kg down from my rowing days, and have beautifully shaved legs now. You should try it. It feels great :fswink:
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Thank you all for the donations, which have more than covered the expenses for this year. ^O^
plummy

Post by plummy »

Good to hear. There still many who have never contributed a penny though. It would be nice if they could chip-in in some way too.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"