Question for high meter rowers.

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Heavyvino
Warming up
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Heavyvino »

Question for distance rowers, how do you prevent flat/numb butt when rowing for a long time?

Also on the meter board what does DAY MEAN, indicate.
Tako
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)

Post by Tako »

Heavyvino wrote:Question for distance rowers, how do you prevent flat/numb butt when rowing for a long time?
Well, that problem I have not fully solved myself, but there are several options one can try:
- folding a towel and put it on the seat (dangerous if not folded well when it gets stuck under the rolls of the seat as it causes a sudden stop)
- Concept2 sells a special piece of foam for the seat (I find it too soft)
- get tougher (trying this one for the moment and if it does not work out I get up and stretch my legs at the same time)

The daily mean = total number of meters rowed for the season (starting May 1st) divided by number of days passed of the season
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: Question for high meter rowers.

Post by Paul Victory »

Heavyvino wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:13 am Question for distance rowers, how do you prevent flat/numb butt when rowing for a long time?
I find that wearing a pair of lycra shorts under my ordinary shorts helps greatly.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Bryce10
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Bryce10 »

I have a couple of pairs of cycling underpants which are padded underneath and that helps - Baleaf is the brand available from Amazon. I also use two cushion pads and I have heard of others using Cushion Wrap - free of charge if you have something delivered by mail order. The trouble with rowing is that you lose body fat over time which means less padding where it is needed - hmmm!

Richard U
Ian Bee
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by Ian Bee »

While I agree with the above assessment in general, the concept 2 pad does prevent aches from my daily rowing session (generally about 8km a day, and no real ache during the March Madness run really).

What's your target daily amount?
Heavyvino
Warming up

Post by Heavyvino »

Ian Bee wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:02 pm What's your target daily amount?
I am working on making an hour, that should be between 10500 and 12000 meters.
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Normally the Concept2 seat pad works well for me but recently I've been getting snapping hip syndrome so have also added a small folded towel underneath. Plus lots of stretching before, after and during intervals. Unless I have to I prefer not to stretch during a row because of the time / distance impact (but always better to row safely than to risk injury).

Max
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Heavyvino
Warming up

Post by Heavyvino »

New question. What do you do to keep from getting blisters/hot spots. I wrap the spots with Eucatape after I row, while I row I occasionally wear gloves.
Wolfmiester

Post by Wolfmiester »

I wore gloves at the very beginning, but this one is just a case of getting used to it. Your hands will firm up over time.
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

I have tried various things but nothing I would class as ideal. Waterproof plasters are a faff to put on each finger. Tried oarsome grips but they were big and one rotated during rowing which was irratating. Currently use Joy 2 Protect tape on the handle as well as fingers prone to blistering but it is expensive. I don't like the idea of covering my hands with gloves so am thinking of trying bike handlebar tape or hand pads. Interested in what has worked for others.

Max
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Decathlon Sports (UK shop) sell anti-blister tape. I've done some, er, reasonable distances and swear by this stuff!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Tako

Post by Tako »

Found out that it is key to have dry hands, so I use wristbands to keep the sweat of the arms away.
Also I think it is important to hold the handle with a loose grip. I basically only hold it with four fingers and a relaxed thumb.
\:D/ 🏴‍☠️🇳🇱🇩🇪🇩🇰🇳🇴🇪🇺
Juergie
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Juergie »

I have been struggeling with butt pains and numbness for 3 years now. I do a lot of HM and haven‘t had one without pain. Actually, 30 min. into every rowing session the pain starts. I have tried everything that was suggested to me. I have been sitting on everything you can imagine during my rows but the pain and numbness were always there.

I finally settled on a combination of a folded towel and 2(!) of the concept2 pads stacked on each other. That was the best solution for me, but still a lot of pain.

Then someone recommended this seat to me https://citius-remex.com/

I was very hesitant since it is not cheap. But finally I gave in and ordered it. Holding it in my hands made me even more sceptical and I thought that I‘ve wasted my money. Stories about how long it takes to get used to the seat didn‘t boost my confidence. Boy, was I wrong.

After the first row with the seat I got up from the rower with a smile on my face. Rowed 30 min. without any problems to adjust to the seat and it felt comfortable. Next row was 60 min. and the third was a HM. And it was my first without any pain whatsoever.

Even on this seat you can not sit 90 min. in the same position without some uneasy feeling in your butt. But with a little shifting every 10-15 min. I have no pain and no numbness at all.

I‘m pretty certain, that there are people who will not feel comfortable with this seat. But to me it is the holy grail. And I‘m already thinking about doing a FM. Only done this once and was dying a hundred times from all the pain until it was over.
LilyG
Warming up

Post by LilyG »

Bubble wrap has always been a winner for me (picked that tip up from this fab forum) - I tend to get butt ache at about 40 minutes and regulary do 10 miles and HMs. As for blisters, have to agree with eveyone else, just got to get through that stage to the callouses and then its a piece of cake! (not really, but it's much easier)
F - 52, 5' 3", 9st 9lbs - good things come in small packages!
paulgould
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by paulgould »

I am one of those who find that natural padding will suffice - after 35 million metres I still have that padding!!
The only times I have ever needed(or thought I would need) seat padding was once on a 24 hr row and the other time on a 200km row.
The big issue for me is the grip - I don't mind getting blisters but I sweat a lot and wear gloves to keep my hands dry, but if you don't have that issue then I would suggest no gloves - your hands will harden up quite quickly.

Paul G
56, 1.74m , Sep '20 - 114 kg , currently - 98 kg
200m - 30.8
300m - 47.7
30r20 - 7754m
12 hr - 139300m
100 mile - 14:10.12
200km - 18:28.30
MaxMacLaren1

Post by MaxMacLaren1 »

Thanks for the suggestions. I happened to pass a Decathlon store today so bought the blister tape recommended by Plummy and also sweat wrist bands as suggested by Tako. The blister tap worked pretty well. At first I didn't think the wrist bands were adding much value but when I took them off and gave them a squeeze... it was clear they worked really well :shock: :oops:. The sweat bands are Nike and feel a touch tight, does anyone know of a brand with a sightly bigger fit? Thanks.

Max

Edit: I also bought tennis handle tape which I have now used and between that and the wrist bands I very rarely need to use blister tape now! Problem solved :fssmile:
Last edited by MaxMacLaren1 on Wed May 16, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Max

Male, 53yrs, 83kg, 181cm
Iain
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Can't add much to the above. I use to use the Decathlon tape for anything over HM when I could row that far. one thing worth repeating is that the pain (not the numbness) is often glute pain. Sit bones are on top of glutes so as they harden the movement of rowing will always hurt.

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.