Rowing specific shoes

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Davidba
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Rowing specific shoes

Post by Davidba »

Im currenly using Innovat8 flite shoes on my c2 (zero drop gym ahoes). Does anyone here use specific rowing shoes on their erg? (With e.g. the batlogic adapter). What are your experiences vs straps and training shoes?
186cm/c. 86kg
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Re: Rowing specific shoes

Post by CamiCrew »

Hi David. As of now, I'm erging in a comfy pair of Nike Air running shoes. I've seen favorites posted on fb, weight lifting shoes mostly. Probably like what you have now.

Couple years ago, I fastened my red Nike Omada rowing shoes to the batlogic adapter. Liked that setup for a few months, then took them off almost immediately when half marathon season kicked in. They caused heel blisters. I ended up doing halfs in well positioned flip flops, till they healed.

I've also tried the blue Shimano shoes on rockers, both demo erg and regularly in a boat. Like them a LOT, but don't want to buy the erg setup, not knowing if they'd have the blister issue for distance work.

Ps Surprised myself getting a PB one day, rowing strapless in socks, on a 30 min piece. Not generally wise tho. :fsbgrin:

Good luck!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
AMBer71
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by AMBer71 »

Wear what you want.
Most racing boats have track sprint shoes
I erg in bare feet, strapped in/strapped out
Feet out forces the body control but there are a bunch of posts about that
Alex
45yr 6'5" 265 lb (trying to get down) - getting back in the saddle - PPlan
DaVinci
Warming up

Post by DaVinci »

Hi David;
As one who uses that exact setup, I'll post my experiences thus far, after just over a year of use.

First off, the Nike Onada shoes, whilst nice-looking and technically ok, are a dreadful fit. I was warned of this when buying them, but bottom line, I have a size Eur 45, where I'm normally a 42, and still they're too narrow. Net result, I have acres of room in the toe box but quite constricted width wise and forget wearing socks...
Conversely, the BAT logic setup works well. I had the luck of meeting the guy that runs the company in a rowing regatta last year, and he gave me a video analysis of power from each foot. Result, he recommended using the shims supplied as an after-market extra, which has helped.

Ref the shoes, I would try and shop around for alternatives given the above comments. That said, when I looked on the internet for rowing specific shoes, there weren't that many available, at least that could be economically delivered outside of the US. (I bought mine via BAT logic from Australia as I was buying the whole kit and caboodle from them). Oh, and I forgot, as I have a racing scull, my existing Swift Racing stretcher plates wouldn't fit the Nike shoes/BAT logic combo, so had to source one that does fit and get it CNC cut to fit the holes. A faff, but ultimately, not overly expensive.

Hope that helps you.
PS - don't NOT order the Nikes, but just be aware of the very strange sizing.
MB