Another year

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

redshell
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Another year

Post by redshell »

I had no idea of my password, its been such along time since I was on the forum. I've not been in a good place for quite a while. I was diagnosed with depression.
Then last October whilst on holiday in Cyprus, I slipped on some rocks on the beach. I fractured my ankle in two places. I had five days in hospital, eight screws and a plate fitted.
Seven weeks in plaster, four weeks an aircast boot. Back in hospital for a further operation. Immobile til the new year. My rehab is slow. I am having physio and hydrotherapy. I'm walking with the aid of one crutch. Walking is hard work. My injury has not helped the depression. People know about my ankle, but not the depression. There is still such a stigma around mental health

I always remember the 16th May.......FS was formed. Eleven years now. Happy Birthday Free Spirits
My rowing prior to my accident had been getting less and less. I've only managed the odd ctc in the last year. I've even spoken about selling the rower.

I've missed another Madchester. It was nice reading about the weekend.

I received an email from the British Heart Foundation and the May marathon. I decided to set myself a target, a goal. A marathon in May, your pace sounds easy. For me right now its tough. Anyway, if anyone would like to check out my link, any amount would be very much appreciated.......

https://mymarathon17.everydayhero.com/u ... onmarathon

Michelle
CamiCrew
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Re: Another year

Post by CamiCrew »

That's a huge step Michelle, mentally and physically, signing up for the challenge!

=D>

Best of luck with it. And thank you for checking in on the 11th FS birthday! :fsbgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Liefcat »

Sorry to hear about your health issues, Michelle :!: And immobilization certainly doesn´t help a depression already present to start with :!: Best of luck with your recovery :!: A good thing that you have set new goals :!: 8)

And happy birthday to Free Spirits :!: We certainly spoke about and honoured those who were there from the very start at our recent Madchester event :!: ^O^ ^O^

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
Wolfmiester
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by Wolfmiester »

Hi Michelle, and best wishes.
Good luck with the marathon, a great challenge.
The recent programs in the UK on mental health have been fascinating to watch. If you didn't catch 'Mind over marathon', check it out. I found it quite inspiring.
Wolfie
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

I hope things will get better for you soon, Michelle.
Best of luck with the rehab and the challenge!
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

Sounds like you've had a very tough few months. Thanks for posting and letting us know about your situation - I'll take a look at the link and contribute a little something for sure.

I'm down at HQ in Kent in July - maybe we should arrange that get together we've talked about so often!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Yikes! That's a very difficult few months you've had. Kudos for taking on the challenge and for having the courage to talk about your depression. I hope everything goes well with the challenge and over the next few months and years.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Sorry to hear about your ankle Michelle and the depression and its great to see that you are getting back to the erg :D

All the very best with getting back to fitness, you know that you have many friends here :wink:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
redshell
Location: South Yorkshire born & bred living in Eynsford, Kent

Post by redshell »

Thanks for all the good wishes I have received. Yes I did see the programme Wolfie. I think that was one reason why I decided to post about my depression. Prior to posting last week, only a handful of people knew......well over 200 have seen and now know

I guess the challenge is helping me, though at my snail pace it doesn't seem like it.

Perhaps we could get to meet up in July Dave. That sounds like a good idea.....let me know when