Madchester 2017...

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Liefcat
Free Spirit forever
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: Madchester 2017...

Post by Liefcat »

Well, that sounds like relatively good news, Paul :!: Yes, I guess you like that competitive element very much, especially smashing your own times :!: But I also guess that you can soon find motivation again, if not for the mentioned reason, then for another... Good luck :!: :fssmile:

Old enough to know better - young enough to do it anyway
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

OK - I want to start getting some names and long distance travel arrangements sorted (I like to be prepared!). So far we have (in no particular order) -

Peter Weiss - arriving Friday at ( 18:15 - EZY1888 ) and leaving Sunday at ( 13:25 - EZY1887 ) - Terminal 3
Paul Victory - arriving Friday ( 17:45 ) and leaving Sunday at ( 15:15 ) - Terminal 3
Tako Lootsma - arriving Friday ( 20:00 ) Norwegian Air Shuttle (DY1348) and leaving Sunday at ( 16:35 ) - SAS (SK4608) - Terminal 1
Peter/Ann Seidman - arriving Friday ( 07:45 ish ) and leaving Sunday via train ( 08:20 ) to Scotland
Erik Carsten Pedersen - arriving Saturday ( 11:50 ) and leaving Sunday ( 13:20 ) - possible collection by Jon?? Same drop off run by me with Peter. T1

If you can pm me with any missing flight times and numbers (and also the terminals if you know them) it would be appreciated.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

I'm arriving in terminal 3 at 17:45 on Friday 5th and leaving at 15:15 on Sunday 7th.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

T1 for both of mine...

plummy

Post by plummy »

Tako has asked if he can have some FS kit delivered to my house so he can save the postage for delivery to him and just collect it whilst here - so it would make sense to suggest that if anyone else flying in wants to do the same, you are quite welcome.

Also, we are still a little light on numbers. I know there is a while to go and people can't necessarily commit 100% but a signal of intent (if circumstances allow etc) would be useful from anyone else who is at least considering attending. Again, the offer is open to Free Spirits and the emphasis is on meeting up, having a good day out and maybe getting some rowing done (and maybe learning from each other).

If we don't get a handful more I may open the invites up to a few selected others from outside FS - but I'll wait a bit longer before doing that.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
plummy

Post by plummy »

OK - time for a thread bump as it's been 6 weeks or so of silence.
I could do with the beginnings of thoughts as to who wants to row what (some sort of head to head challenge, SB attempt, PB attempt and at what distances or times etc). Also, as we have a couple of walking wounded, I need to know who's likely to be fully fit and up for a challenge or just going to paddle something to support the event.

Also, we are still open to new attendees if anyone wants to come along (feel free to send me a PM if you don't want to advertise your interest but would like some more details)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I'm certainly a long way short of 100% and my back problems tend to ebb and flow, so I won't be trying to break any records at Madchester. I expect to be able to row and wouldn't mind doing a semi serious attempt at one of the shorter distances if I'm feeling OK on the day. But I'm happy to go along with whatever suits everyone.

If the May CTC is interesting, it might be worth setting that up as a challenge. It would at least ensure that we get a few times entered relatively early in the month.

Regarding attendees, are you going to invite Crazy Bear? It was nice to finally meet up with him last year and I know he lives fairly locally.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
jhaveman
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by jhaveman »

Sheena and myself will be in the out of shape category I'm afraid. Otherwise we're happy to go along with whatever's decided.

We'll see how much rowing we can get in once we've found a place to live and get our erg back out of storage. We're flying back to the UK today, and the search is on.

Hope to see you all soon!

Jan & Sheena

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Richard thought he might like to try for an improvement on his 5k again ( 22.07.6 at the moment ), or as others have already said, go along with whatever everyone else is happy with.

For me, Madchester is more of a social event, rather than a rowing one, especially as I know it would be a struggle for me to improve on any of my times.

I would much rather find out more about rowing technique.

The last two Madchesters were so enjoyable and provided a wonderful opportunity to meet and be in the convivial company of other Free Spirits.

As we all seem to enjoy Name That Tune and Film, I have thought up a rather daft version of Charades that would require the skills of rowers and non - rowers alike. This is only a very vague sort of suggestion ... so don't panic.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Jill and Richard. :)
plummy

Post by plummy »

First pass for who's coming and maybe what they are thinking of rowing. Please let me know if your plans have changed or if no entry for you, what you might like...
(It is very early in the season so for those "unsure/unfit/injured" then maybe a simple Nonathlon/SB/CTC (depending on the chose event) attempt is a good fall-back position?

Dave P - thinking a 5k at the moment (target: <19:30.0) Edit - just done a 19:38.8 (2/5/17) and it hurt. 19:30 is pushing it.
Paul V - going with the flow as somewhat injured (back)
Tako L - 2k (target: 6:59.9 or 10k ( target: 37:37.x ) - injured (knee and shoulder)
Peter W - 5k (target: <19:20.0)
Sheena H - 5k (target <25:00)
Jan H - 5k - (target <21:30)
Jill U - (Technique mostly - but think she needs to re-visit that 1k from last year and not HD this time!)
Richard U - (5k - target: 22:07.6 (less about 30s for all the sandbagging he will have done ;-) )
Ann S - (TBA)
Peter S - (timekeeping and general chivvying along - plus food duties :-) )
Erik P - (no erging this year so can be chief technique advisor)
Paul Findlay (has asked if he's still invited - which is of course) but don't think rowing as injured

Maybe we could set up a 5k handicap (I like the handicaps as I think they are fun) so anyone unfit/slightly injured can maybe post an "honest" guestimated time for what they think they are capable of and we can use that (I did a 19:37.5 last week which was about might limit outside a race.

For those who don't know, I off to see Christine and Barbara on the 23rd April to the 1st May so will have a total lack of training and a bucket of jetlag to contend with immediately before this event (getting my excuses in quickly).
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Dave, you can count me in for a 5k, target time 19:20. I'd also be interested in the technique work shop and to cox Jill to a new 1k PB (if she allows me to :D ).
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

jhaveman

Post by jhaveman »

Dave, it's not looking likely that we'll have our erg back in time for Madchester (house hunting is turning out a bit more tricky than we had hoped).
However we're happy to try a 5k, however at a much reduced pace from last year :(
I'd be looking at a 21:30 target (about the pace I managed for my last 30 minutes rows in Brisbane 2 months ago), and Sheena doesn't want to commit herself to any time less than 25 minutes ...
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017

Post by CamiCrew »

We'll be sending wishes from afar! This year our son is living across the country, whereas last year he was here and took care of the household while we were off to England. So we invited him to California, and realized... if he's here, we are not going to want to head overseas! He & girlfriend will visit in June and that'll take care of the summer travel & adventure budget. Still excited to hear how Madchester goes!

I hope you'll keep up the "dotty room" tradition. We had a lot of laughs when the nuttier ones among us sat around & conversed. While I'm sure the conversation between the gentlemen in the kitchen was scintillating, the place to be was the Dotty Room. :lol:

We're also thrilled to finally -- after years of dropping hints -- have convinced Mr. Plumb to make an appearance in Southern California. =D>

Between Christine and I we can set up an erg training plan to have him in fine shape for Madchester. It will mean skipping the beach and the hikes and the kayaking and the BBQs, but we know he is dedicated to his craft. 8) :fsbgrin:
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
plummy

Post by plummy »

Looking at the list of ailments, injuries and excuses I'm beginning to think I should arrange a line of blankets and commodes with slippers and hot cocoa on tap. We could just sit in a circle, compare what's broken, fallen off or ceased working and maybe watch Peter row :lol: :lol:
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Grobi

Post by Grobi »

CamiCrew wrote:I hope you'll keep up the "dotty room" tradition. We had a lot of laughs when the nuttier ones among us sat around & conversed. While I'm sure the conversation between the gentlemen in the kitchen was scintillating, the place to be was the Dotty Room. :lol:
Don't worry, I'll help taking care of it (if I'm allowed to enter again).
plummy wrote:and maybe watch Peter row :lol: :lol:
I'm not sure that would be the highlight of the day :shock: Having said that I think watching me wearing my "bathing costume" in the bathtub would be even worse :shock:
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg

Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

plummy wrote:but think she needs to re-visit that 1k from last year and not HD this time!)
David, I still inwardly blush at the thought of that 1k.
Grobi wrote: I'd also be interested in the technique work shop and to cox Jill to a new 1k PB (if she allows me to ).
Peter, that is very gallant of you - having let David down last year, which was awful and completely my fault, I should hate to do the same to you. Although I eventually redeemed myself on the 8th June, ( see my post and screenshot on page 467 of the PB thread ) I think it’s probably David’s sneaky ‘ goading ‘ :lol: :wink: that’s responsible for me thinking, “ Come on Jill, you Cowardly Custard ! “ Peter, if the not often seen, competitive side of me, can get the upper hand for once, then I shall be honoured to take up your offer. :D
jhaveman wrote:Dave, it's not looking likely that we'll have our erg back in time for Madchester (house hunting is turning out a bit more tricky than we had hoped).
However we're happy to try a 5k, however at a much reduced pace from last year
I'd be looking at a 21:30 target (about the pace I managed for my last 30 minutes rows in Brisbane 2 months ago), and Sheena doesn't want to commit herself to any time less than 25 minutes ...

Jan and Sheena, I know there are some people who actually enjoy moving house, but for most of us who have gone through this patience sapping, mind mincing rigmarole, it is a stressful experience, so I do hope that it won’t be long before things start to run more smoothly for you. Are you planning to live somewhere back in Yorkshire or are you looking for a house in the north east?

Don’t feel daunted at the temporary drop in your fitness and training levels, once you are settled in your new home, you’ll soon be back on track. In the meantime we will look forward to seeing you on the 6th, and as well as your other holiday adventures, hearing stories about large, hairy arachnids ( David will love those ). :lol: :wink:
CamiCrew wrote:I hope you'll keep up the "dotty room" tradition. We had a lot of laughs when the nuttier ones among us sat around & conversed. While I'm sure the conversation between the gentlemen in the kitchen was scintillating, the place to be was the Dotty Room.
Grobi wrote:Don't worry, I'll help taking care of it (if I'm allowed to enter again).

Barbara, I am a reformed character. :^o :lol: :wink: Obviously some of us are not. :lol: :wink:
CamiCrew wrote:Between Christine and I we can set up an erg training plan to have him in fine shape for Madchester. It will mean skipping the beach and the hikes and the kayaking and the BBQs, but we know he is dedicated to his craft.
plummy wrote: For those who don't know, I off to see Christine and Barbara on the 23rd April to the 1st May so will have a total lack of training and a bucket of jetlag to contend with immediately before this event (getting my excuses in quickly).
Have a wonderful time with David and thank you for letting us know that his visit will most definitely not involve any fun, only hard work. :lol: :wink: We must remember this, when he tries to persuade us about his “ lack of training. “ :^o :lol: :wink:
plummy wrote:Looking at the list of ailments, injuries and excuses I'm beginning to think I should arrange a line of blankets and commodes with slippers and hot cocoa on tap. We could just sit in a circle, compare what's broken, fallen off or ceased working and maybe watch Peter row
Someone, I mention no names but their initials are DP should have more respect for their elders. I hate cocoa! Nothing but a triple shot of Ovaltine will do and although, in my time, I have emptied a commode or two ( and bedpan) don’t expect me to volunteer on this occasion. I acquired my slightly out of date, First Aid certificate ( St Johns Ambulance Brigade ) when I was eleven, so the knowledge of that, should at least encourage the sick and injured to make speedy recoveries. As for bits that have fallen off or no longer work … I couldn’t possibly comment. :shock: :lol: :wink:

Although David’s post and the mental picture of it, made me laugh so much, I will be wearing my ‘ nagger’s hat ‘, because seriously, we don’t want anyone hurting themselves. Let’s have some fun and laughter, with a bit of rowing thrown in. Oh … And perhaps Paul singing … :D

Can I assume that we'll need to bring our erg?

Safe travels David. :)
plummy

Post by plummy »

Yes please on the erg (need a 4th as well really to be safe). I can get two so we need another volunteer - although it's not a disaster with 3 as there are fewer attendees this year and maybe we could have more races.

And no...no singing ! [-o<
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

plummy wrote:And no...no singing ! [-o<
I'm assuming you must have actually heard me singing at some point if you are so steadfastly opposed to the idea. :lol:
plummy

Post by plummy »

Nope, never heard you. It's not your singing in particular (I have my reasons :-) )
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Sheena
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2018

Post by Sheena »

Jill wrote:Jan and Sheena, I know there are some people who actually enjoy moving house, but for most of us who have gone through this patience sapping, mind mincing rigmarole, it is a stressful experience, so I do hope that it won’t be long before things start to run more smoothly for you. Are you planning to live somewhere back in Yorkshire or are you looking for a house in the north east?
We gave up on trying to find somewhere to rent and ended up buying a place. We hope to move in within the next month, until that time we are continuing our holiday :-). The house is in a village in Northumberland, not far from where we are staying at the moment. It feels good to have somewhere more permanent to live!
Jill wrote:
CamiCrew wrote:I hope you'll keep up the "dotty room" tradition. We had a lot of laughs when the nuttier ones among us sat around & conversed. While I'm sure the conversation between the gentlemen in the kitchen was scintillating, the place to be was the Dotty Room.
Grobi wrote:Don't worry, I'll help taking care of it (if I'm allowed to enter again).

Barbara, I am a reformed character. :^o :lol: :wink: Obviously some of us are not. :lol: :wink:
Jill, I'm looking forward to some of your dotty stories, maybe it should be an entry requirement to tell a story :wink:

Looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend.
Sheena and Jan
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

My back has been really acting up over the last couple of days. I don't know whether this is due to the few minutes I spent on the erg on Thursday or just coincidental. But I've been hobbling around the place, listing to one side like a drunken sailor who hasn't quite recovered his land legs. :roll:

Anyway, I'm still hoping to make it to Madchester, but it's looking very unlikely I'll be doing any erging.

Paul V
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

That would mean more energy for the singing part, Paul... :lol: :lol:

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Liefcat wrote:That would mean more energy for the singing part, Paul... :lol: :lol:
Shhh.. Don't tell Plummy. I wanted it to be a surprise! :mrgreen:

My back was a lot better yesterday and I actually did the CTC (albeit very slowly). So I may be able to do some rowing on Saturday unless I have an adverse reaction later today (so far, it's not too bad). I've checked in for my flight, so I'm fairly committed to travelling at this stage.

See you there!

Paul V
Liefcat
Free Spirit forever

Post by Liefcat »

No worries, Paul, I won´t tell Plummy... :lol:

And very positive that your back is better and hope to see you Saturday :!: 8)

Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

As I'm scheduled to arrive 30 minutes before Peter, perhaps we could travel together from the airport?