Beginners

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

leeapsimpson
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: Beginners

Post by leeapsimpson »

Thanks for having a look John, if I see anything worthy I will shout. Cheers again _ Lee
dr3do
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by dr3do »

Recess wrote:Meh, bit of a waste of £1.87 to be honest. It plots a graph of what the end result of different distances and times are, but not really anything more.
Bad to hear that. :? Thanks for trying it (and saving us the money). ^O^

I would like something that showed me the splits, so I'd know where my bad sectors were.
Within a session you can do that (but only afterwards) with RowPro. Looks like this one. I haven't found out till if it's possible to "compare" (means: picking up some sessions and analyzing them against each other) sessions with RowPro.

Let's keep hunting...
In the Google Play Store I found ErgData and BoatCoach for rowing & erging and tried them…

ErgData can be useful in a gym on a foreign erg (to monitor and upload the session directly to C2 log) and shows some additional informations like drive length - but the display is put by the app to full brightness, what was very disturbing for me.

BoatCoach seems to be powerful (for rowing on the water). It has some interesting features (Graph, Data catpture, Analytics) as in-app purchase options.

<EDIT>
</EDIT>

<EDIT2>
Sportlyzer Review – An online coaching software and training organizer for rowing
</EDIT2>
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Lee and John, what do think about, if we open up a new (dedicated) thread for "logging tools & possibilities"? :?:
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by Recess »

Done. There's now a thread where we can discuss this. We can stop hijacking this thread!!
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
leeapsimpson
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by leeapsimpson »

Recess wrote:Done. There's now a thread where we can discuss this. We can stop hijacking this thread!!
I blame my new-ness for starting that, see you in the new thread!
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

leeapsimpson wrote:
Recess wrote:Done. There's now a thread where we can discuss this. We can stop hijacking this thread!!
I blame my new-ness for starting that, see you in the new thread!
No, Lee. Please, there's nothing to blame for/on it.Image
Paul F
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Paul F »

Hi I'm new to this site and just finding my way around :? One thing I don't understand is the Concept2 VO2 estimator:

Q1: how can a "highly trained athlete" pulling the same time as a "not highly trained athlete" of the same weight, get a higher VO2max estimation?
Q2: similarly, how can a male athlete have a higher VO2 max than a female athlete of the same weight with the same 2K time?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Paul F
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by Paul Victory »

Hi Paul

Welcome to Free Spirits.

Interesting questions. I don't know the answers, but I would hazard a guess as follows:

1. The reason the VO2 max is higher on average for the highly trained athlete is due to the fact that a less highly trained rower who can pull the same time is probably relying more on strength that aerobic conditioning.

2. I think men in general tend to have larger lung capacity than women.

But that's just guessing on my part. I'm sure one of our more knowledgeable team members will set me straight.

Paul V
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Paul F wrote:Hi I'm new to this site and just finding my way around :? One thing I don't understand is the Concept2 VO2 estimator:

Q1: how can a "highly trained athlete" pulling the same time as a "not highly trained athlete" of the same weight, get a higher VO2max estimation?
Q2: similarly, how can a male athlete have a higher VO2 max than a female athlete of the same weight with the same 2K time?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Paul F
Hi Paul, looking at the description of the calculator, it was derived by taking a population of trained and untrained athletes, measuring their vo2max and erg times and then fitting an equation to the data. I think the flaw in this is that these equations don't fit beyond reasonable ranges. Having said that, a very tall untrained athlete of 80kg might pull a better erg score than a very short 80kg athlete, just because of body mechanics.

I never really trusted the vo2max calculator and don't see much training value from its use.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

gregsmith01748 wrote:I never really trusted the vo2max calculator and don't see much training value from its use.
I double this, because…
The VO2max piece is likely the piece that fascinates most athletes, primarily due to the ones-upsmanship game that people want to play on who has a higher VO2Max value. Ultimately though, there's actually little that you can do to influence this number, as it's largely genetic. And in that same vein, while an untrained person would see immediate and sharp increases in VO2max over a short period, a well trained athlete won't. And in fact, the more that athlete trains – the less likely this number is to fluctuate. Effectively, you plateau from a VO2Max standpoint. After all, if you could keep training and increase the number – we'd see everyone with a VO2Max in the 90's, or beyond. Ultimately there are only a handful of people on this earth anywhere near that.
Recess

Post by Recess »

Hey now, let's not bash it too much. I'm very proud of my 70 score... Even if it doesn't mean anything... #-o
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Paul F
Warming up

Post by Paul F »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll stick to my trusty PM4 monitor and forget about any conversion to VO2max
Paul F
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

I think you're probably right Paul. At the end of the day, the best measure of how we're doing is whether or not we're getting faster.
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
JonT
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020

Post by JonT »

What am I missing on the signature generator? I can't get it to update from the one I originally created.

I have put in the new data. The picture at the bottom which says "Your current saved signature looks like this" is updated and correct, but the signature on posts remains the same as it was before I made the changes. I must be doing something wrong.

Jon
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
JonT

Post by JonT »

JonT wrote:What am I missing on the signature generator? I can't get it to update from the one I originally created.

I have put in the new data. The picture at the bottom which says "Your current saved signature looks like this" is updated and correct, but the signature on posts remains the same as it was before I made the changes. I must be doing something wrong.

Jon
Now I'm absolutely sure I don't understand this, My signature has changed between posting the last post and viewing it again. I wonder if it a local web cache problem at my end. Oh well.
57 years old, 5"10', clinging on to 75kg and frustratingly but understandably inconsistent
plummy

Post by plummy »

I think you just need to refresh your browser screen to be able to see the new image - maybe you did that by default? I assume all is well now??

Plummy
60 yrs old, 82kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old and brittle for this malarky
JonT

Post by JonT »

Yep all working now thanks. It's a nifty little tool :D
mardix
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by mardix »

Hi all,

Just a quick post to say hello.

So. Hello.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

mardix wrote:Hi all,

Just a quick post to say hello.

So. Hello.
Welcome to the team! Tell us about yourself.
mardix
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by mardix »

gregsmith01748 wrote:
Welcome to the team! Tell us about yourself.
Okay, you asked for it :wink:

So, about 7 years ago I was in a car accident - I was at the front end of a pile up, was hit from the back, and "ejected" (police report terminology) off a Los Angeles freeway. I was banged up pretty badly (mostly my lower back and spine) but luckily was able to walk away. In a few minutes that day I went from being fairly active to not being able to do much of anything. It took about a year of slow recovery before I was able to do any form of regular exercise and another year to find rowing. After trying everything I could think of trying, someone turned me on to rowing and I never had to go anywhere else.

Over the years my rowing has been sporadic - I'd row for a month or two and my back would give out and I'd be back to square one - I'd have to wait a month or two and get back to it. It's now been about 6 months since my last major recurrence and I feel like I may finally be able to start making some actual rowing improvements. I've also been able to get back to some weights, albeit very light. So, I'm on the mend and life is looking better.

It won't be quick, it won't be record setting, and I'm sure that it won't be without relapses, but if you all don't mind my joining in, I look forward to rowing with you all.
Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

mardix wrote: It won't be quick, it won't be record setting, and I'm sure that it won't be without relapses, but if you all don't mind my joining in, I look forward to rowing with you all.
Hey mardix, many kudos for sharing with us. You are very welcome here and there's no need/pressure to be faster as you are and are able to be. I really so much respect for you. You're a real "tumbler" (a person who, but stands up again, even if falls again, has the power to stand up again). ^O^

BTW: They even allowed me with my bad english to join. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Post by K_Cat »

Hi Mardix! So good to hear that things are going well for you! Welcome to Free Spirits! :fsbgrin:

Peggy
JonT

Post by JonT »

mardix wrote: It won't be quick, it won't be record setting, and I'm sure that it won't be without relapses, but if you all don't mind my joining in, I look forward to rowing with you all.
Mardix - You'll find this group massively supportive of everyone who takes part and contributes. I'm miles off the pace of everyone else, but I find the group hugely helpful in the way that it encourages every effort that people make. You will also find lots of pointers to ways of "competing" either with yourself or others and also joining the team in various on-line competitions where the efforts of both the top rowers and of people like me all contribute and are valued.

You are very, very welcome. :D
gregsmith01748

Post by gregsmith01748 »

Mardix, Again, welcome to the team and thanks for sharing your background. I admire your ability to persevere through a long recovery. Do you have specific PT that you are doing for your back and core? I have talked to others who have had back injuries from rowing and are now devoted advocates of building a really strong core through exercise and yoga.