Beginners

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Jill
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Re: Beginners

Post by Jill »

Hello James. Before Richard retired, he worked for a bank, which meant that sometimes, we had to mix socially with lawyers and accountants ( usually insolvency ). I used to joke that he was making me mix with the dregs of society. :lol: :) However, some of them were very sweet men... :)

Here are some of my favourite attorneys: Perry Mason, ( I have the DVDs in black and white ) Mickey Hallam, ( Michael Connelly ) and Rumpole of The Bailey, ( John Mortimer ). :)

How about a cushion to replace some of your lost contours? :)

Keep rowing but don't overdo things.

Jill :fsbgrin:
Jill

Post by Jill »

Can anyone tell me please, how I may make a donation to the upkeep of this forum and the metre board etc ?

Since I started rowing in March, I've lost 3 stone in weight, so this would be my way of saying thank you to everyone, for keeping me motivated and inspired. :)

Jill :fsbgrin: A fledgling Free Spirit
CamiCrew
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2017
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by CamiCrew »

Hi Jill -- just did a donation, so I'll tell you what I did & hopefully it was correct.

There is a Donations page at this link: http://www.freespiritsrowing.com/conten ... donations/
-- it is also a menu item on every page (up in that dark blue line under the picture), look for About > Donations.

I entered an amount at left and then at right, the option to use PayPal as a guest (I don't have a PayPal account). The guest option allows me to enter my credit card info.

That was it, very easy.

p.s. There was also an option when Thomas did a lot of meterboard work to select a "gift" from his Amazon wishlist, which I thought was a nice personal touch. Hosting costs, however, was the subject of the most recent request so I'm assuming that Donations page was the one to use.
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for the information - I'm a ninny, I was looking in the wrong place for the details. #-o I can go ahead and organise something now. Half of the donation will be part of Richard's birthday present - he's always difficult to buy for... :roll: Sneaky eh? :evil:

By the way, I like your latest photo, you look lovely. :)

Jill
K_Cat
Stop posting and start rowing!
I row on...: Model D with PM4

Re: How to Change to LWT?

Post by K_Cat »

What are the ramifications of changing from HWT to LTW? How do I get my workouts to register as LWT?

Last spring my weight fell under 135 lb, between March/April Challenges and the Pete Plan. But I figured I'd wait and see if I gained it back, since I was also doing some lifting to build muscle strength. Now the Fall Challenge has pushed me under 130 lb. I exercise about an hour every day, usually run, bike, and row. So my weight will probably stay where it is... at least until the Holiday Challenge, which may be offset by the Holiday dinners. :lol:

I changed my weight on the C2 site, but my workouts still register as HWT, so there must be somewhere else to change as well. Also, do I have to register with a new username on the CTC, Nonathlon, etc? Or can I edit my existing username? (Where is that done?)

Thanks!

Peggy
Recess
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015

Post by Recess »

I don't know if there's more you can do, so hopefully someone else will pitch in. But I'm the same as you - I started off at around 82Kg and registered as a heavyweight. Then I dropped to 74 and now I'm a lightweight.

So all I can do each time I do a row that I want to submit to rankings, is to go to the 'edit' button to the right on your C2 log, and in there you can change the session to lightweight. I could do this one by one for ALL of your sessions, but I just change the ones that I want to rank properly.

Of course, this is only as far as the C2 log - not sure about Nonathlon and CTC sites...

Hope this helped. Let me know if you need screenshots etc.

John
It's not how far you go... It's how go you far.

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

Well done at becoming a lwt and staying there, Peggy!

C2 website: I suppose this depends on how you upload your workouts. I use the C2 Utility where you tick a lwt box for individual workouts or change the settings so all workouts get the lwt box ticked by default.

Nonathlon: you are either hwt or lwt for all distances in a season. You can change this during the season.

CTC: you can change your weight class for your user name, but this will also change your class for all the challenges you may have done as hwt in the past. And this can change boat orders as well. If you don't want that, you have to make a new user name.

You might want to change your PB signature, too. :)
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
K_Cat

Post by K_Cat »

Thanks, John and Rodger! I think I just updated my signature.

I haven't been bothering to rank any times lately, as I was "Just Row"ing through the Fall Challenge. But, I'll make the changes Rodger suggested, and use John's edit technique if anything falls through the cracks. I use the C2 Utility, so I'll look there for where to set HWT/LWT for the C2 Logbook.

Thanks again!

Peggy
plummy
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

I think if you tick the "log me in automatically" or "stay logged in" tab on the C2 USA and tick "LWT" as below, it is automatic everytime you enter a row. I have occasionally been caught out if I cleared all my cookies or had a computer crash of some description and ended up a HWT by default
ScreenHunter_12 Oct. 31 18.55.jpg
ScreenHunter_12 Oct. 31 18.55.jpg (8.35 KiB) Viewed 4003 times
For the CTC, others have had a second login with "LWT" after their names (or I guess "HWT" too if they went up a weight)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
K_Cat

Post by K_Cat »

Thanks Plummy! That must be it. I looked through all the C2 Utility & Logcard & Profile menus and couldn't find where to set it.

I have to go get a flu shot now while the clinic is giving them for free, but when I row later & download via the C2 utility, I'll try editing and see if it sticks as the default. Hope my arm doesn't hurt too much :cry: , 'cause I've been goofing off and haven't finished the Skeleton Crew challenge yet. #-o Doh!

Peggy
K_Cat

Post by K_Cat »

Just an update: After the C2 Utility read my log card, there was a box marked 'LWT' in my new workout (between "workout name" and "time" columns). I checked that box and it downloaded the correct info to the C2 website. Hopefully the C2 Utility will remember that info for the next workout, but if not, now I know both where to set it and how to correct it. :fsgrin:

Thanks for all the help!

Peggy
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Peggy -- wow and congrats on the sustained weight loss. I exited the lightweight category in probably 1987, never to return. Had a college coach who would say "eat more pizza!" anytime he saw me around food. I am still listening to that guy decades later. #-o :oops:

Also I have to say thanks. You are the only reason I have a supercool skull on the meterboard now. I happened to catch your Skeleton challenge mention and was only 3k away from completing it. Would have missed out by a frustrating margin if not for You!

Thank y 8) u!
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
Jill

Post by Jill »

CamiCrew wrote:Peggy -- wow and congrats on the sustained weight loss. I exited the lightweight category in probably 1987, never to return. Had a college coach who would say "eat more pizza!" anytime he saw me around food. I am still listening to that guy decades later. #-o :oops:

Also I have to say thanks. You are the only reason I have a supercool skull on the meterboard now. I happened to catch your Skeleton challenge mention and was only 3k away from completing it. Would have missed out by a frustrating margin if not for You!

Thank y 8) u!
Hello Barbara - don't worry, if I had been rowing in 1987 I would have exited the lightweight category as well but for different reasons. Too many sedentary hobbies/interests and not enough exercise. :roll: :)
I can't imagine that there are many ladies who enjoy being called heavyweight? I've decided to call myself ( unofficially of course ) middleweight. Can I suggest that you do the same? :)
Losing a fair bit of weight has led to some unexpected and comic consequences...
Last week, when I caught the bus into town, a man got on and sat next to me, although there were plenty of empty seats. He said to me, " I've decided to sit next to you, because compared to all the other women on the bus, you look harmless and you're not overweight. " Barbara, as a chat up line, that has to be a honey. I shall treasure it forever. :lol: As we were getting off the bus, the man said, " You look fit. I'm 89 you know. " I use to love sprinting at school and although I'm not fit in rowing terms, I think if necessary I might be able to outrun him. :lol:
I left you a message about your heel, on the Injuries' thread.

Keep fit and keep rowing.
Jill :)
dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

K_Cat wrote:What are the ramifications of changing from HWT to LTW? How do I get my workouts to register as LWT?
I changed my weight on the C2 site, but my workouts still register as HWT, so there must be somewhere else to change as well.
Recess wrote:I don't know if there's more you can do, so hopefully someone else will pitch in. But I'm the same as you - I started off at around 82Kg and registered as a heavyweight. Then I dropped to 74 and now I'm a lightweight.

So all I can do each time I do a row that I want to submit to rankings, is to go to the 'edit' button to the right on your C2 log, and in there you can change the session to lightweight.
Hey Peggy & John, I think I can help you out… :mrgreen:

I asume you have the Concept 2 Utility installed. Just start it up and follow these seven small steps. Screenshots are done on the Mac version, but I have checked it on the WIndows version – It works same there. These Settings (#ID, HWT/LWT, log-password, username) are permanently saved within the computer of your C2.

Edit: Changed "image hosting"
Last edited by dr3do on Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Recess

Post by Recess »

I worked out where I was going wrong - as I use RowPro to update my log, I realised last night that it was still set to 76Kg from a year ago. I set it back to 74Kg and it now posts as LWT.

Thanks for the tip though Boris.

John

Follow my training blog as I try to break a world record: http://johntherower.com
Jill

Post by Jill »

Plummy my dear, today, I crept up on the 2,000 metres and took it by surprise. 9.49.2. Sub 10. \:D/ \:D/
Thank you. :D =D>
Paul Victory
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Paul Victory »

Jill wrote:Plummy my dear, today, I crept up on the 2,000 metres and took it by surprise. 9.49.2. Sub 10. \:D/ \:D/
Thank you. :D =D>
Congratulations Jill. =D> =D> =D>
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
CamiCrew

Post by CamiCrew »

Jill - that's awesome!! Smart of you to creep up on it -- they are vicious little beasties, those 2ks! Well done, lady. :fsbgrin: =D>
-barbara

F Hwt 53 yrs 5'10"
plummy

Post by plummy »

Sneakily opened a can of whupass too - taking 11s off the 10:00 min target =D> =D> Not too shabby at all young lady :D
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Jill

Post by Jill »

Thank you, Paul, Barbara and Plummy. :D
Saying that I crept up on the 2000m was probably nearer the truth than you might think. Richard had been showing me how to use the Sessions Set Up on RowPro for the standard distances and I had already rowed 2 x 2000m at my usual sedate pace. I had no idea when I started the next 2000m that it would turn into a PB attempt - the first 300metres or so were at a moderate pace - I usually settle into 30 S/M and have no idea why I suddenly decided to move up a gear, it just felt right. On previous attempts, I still set off too quickly - judging the right pace has been a problem and by about 1500m or so I know I've lost it. Perhaps it was because of the slower start or perhaps it was just serendipity. :?: Whatever it was, there's room for improvement. [-o< :lol:

Thank you again for being such lovely people. =D>
leeapsimpson
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by leeapsimpson »

Hope this is the right part of the forum to post stupid questions.

Now I'm working up the metres (and slowly rising up your meter board :-) ) , I'm now starting to assess my performance. 'Speed' is going up, watts are increasing where needed etc but I don't seem to be able to get a consolidated view of each workout.

I assumed once uploaded via the utility I would be able to drill down to detail on line, but I can only get a summary view on the C2 log even though the upload utility displays more info when you upload via the USB. So I reverted to the PM5 which allows me to see the workouts, but still lacks detail or depth of info.

Am I missing something obvious? I'm used to Garmin for running where one site online holds everything and its very easy to review, I seem to only get fragmented info currently.

Your help is appreciated - Lee
Recess

Post by Recess »

Hey Lee,

I think I get what you're on about - kinda like how Strava and other cycling programmes / websites let you compare rides, it'd be useful to be able to line a few 2k's together, and see how you're getting on. Annoyingly (for both of us) I don't know of any software that does this. Golden Cheetah claims to import data, but I've not used it. I'll download a version tonight to see if there's anything cool it does.

Failing that, maybe someone else on here has a good clue to something useful.

RowPro is good for looking at stats after a row, but (as far as i can tell) I can't aggregate all my 2k's together to see how I've improved / fallen off.

<EDIT> Actually, it doesn't look like Cheetah will be up to much. I found something called erg tracker through the 'Third Party Software' section on the C2 website, it's an android app, but might be worth £2 to check it out. I'll download it to Julie's tablet and see if it's any cop. http://powertwenty.com/ergtracker/index.html</Edit>

John

dr3do
True Free Spirit

Post by dr3do »

Recess wrote:Failing that, maybe someone else on here has a good clue to something useful.
I'm interested too and did some "investigation". Some weeks ago I asked Strava and trainingpeaks for rowing support - no answer from both.
leeapsimpson
Warming up
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by leeapsimpson »

Thanks both, so seems I can't get such a view then. The core info is there across the pm5, the upload utility and the log - so I'll survive would have been good to get a single detailed view like the strava approach mentioned. I'll concer n myself on improving my performance on the erg for now, the only way is up and I don't need much analysis to conclude that! :-)

John let me know how that erg tracker goes ...
Recess

Post by Recess »

Meh, bit of a waste of £1.87 to be honest. It plots a graph of what the end result of different distances and times are, but not really anything more.

I would like something that showed me the splits, so I'd know where my bad sectors were.

Let's keep hunting...

John