FS Sweat protection option

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Doc RowSlo
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Re: FS Sweat protection option

Post by Doc RowSlo »

cweed wrote:
Doc RowSlo wrote:I still have about a dozen blue tie type and 3 pink ties for anyone interested. Priced £4.50 each +P&P
Are there any on this side of the pond?
Yes, I believe so. Just send Boris a PM.
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Re: FS Sweat protection

Post by plummy »

With Iain's mention of sweat on the Erg vs Water Rower thread and a couple of mentions thereafter of how and where people sweat, I dug around for this old thread..

What intrigued me (a little) was how the other guys said the issue was with sweat at the opposite end of the rail to the flywheel. I've noticed as recently as in last night's 60 minutes, I create a puddle of sweat on the left side (near the footrest) that is usually 5 times the volume of the puddle on the right. From the position it's obviously dripping from my elbows at the very beginning of my drive (change of direction flinging drips off) but it confirms my belief that there is something very wonky in my technique if such an assymetric situation occurs.
There's never any sweat at the end of the rail (that I can see) - hmm, strange...

Plummy
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Iain
I row on...: Model D with PM3

Post by Iain »

Dave, I have the same, but I don't get this with a sweatband, so it is my head that is assymetric!

- Iain
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
gregsmith01748
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2015
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by gregsmith01748 »

I get 4 distinct puddles. I work out in a gym with a nice rubberized floor so I can see where they are, and I constantly judge how good the workout was by how impressive they look. :)

1. to the left and right of the rail in two arcs, roughly underneath the line my elbows trace on the recovery. The left puddle is slightly forward and bigger than the right :?:

2. about 1' directly directly behind the end of the rail. I only get this puddle when I row really hard, and it tends to be pretty small. I assume it is sweat drips flinging off my head as I dramatically and incorrectly snap my head at the end of the stroke.

3. Directly under the foot rests. I only get this puddle when it is hot and humid enough the sweat drips off my socks after rolling down my calves.

When I work out at home (on linoleum) I lay a normal bath towel underneath the rail to get puddles #1 and #3. I wipe up puddle #2 after I'm done.
Greg - Age: 53 H: 182cm W: 88Kg (should be 83Kg)
Training blog: https://quantifiedrowing.wordpress.com/
plummy

Post by plummy »

Maybe we should post pictures for either comparison or the most impressive sweat puddles!! I'm sure the ladies would love to see that :^o :~c :~c
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Iain

Post by Iain »

Alternatively get a C-breeze and the sweat evaporates as quickly as it falls so puddles are pretty small!
55 year old Lwt (in ability and in weight) trying to develop a technique that doesn't cause hysterics and continue to row regularly.
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Post by Stan »

I sometimes find sweat on the rail behind the seat. This is from the free spirit sweat band redirecting the said liquid from my eyes to behind me. Have to say the sweat bands have been a godsend and saved a lot of stinging pain in the eyes.
pb times
kirbyt
Dedicated and True Free Spirit

Post by kirbyt »

I have some pretty impressive spots of rust on the rear legs of the erg and some of the ancient floor tiles underneath have actually come up from their daily bath in salt water. The day I make the rear legs collapse I will feel a kind of pride from having broken such a tough machine (as long as I don't injure myself :roll: ).
54 years old probably around 77kg.
Doc RowSlo

Post by Doc RowSlo »

plummy wrote:
There's never any sweat at the end of the rail (that I can see) - hmm, strange...
It was Jac that noticed (she is pathologically tidy) and it's sweat flicking off my head at the end of the drive I think.
gregsmith01748 wrote:I work out in a gym with a nice rubberized floor so I can see where they are, and I constantly judge how good the workout was by how impressive they look. :)
I like that :lol: :lol: :lol:
plummy wrote:Maybe we should post pictures for either comparison or the most impressive sweat puddles!! I'm sure the ladies would love to see that :^o :~c :~c
Great idea. I've got some somewhere I think.
Iain wrote:Alternatively get a C-breeze and the sweat evaporates as quickly as it falls so puddles are pretty small!
I've got a C-Breeze but think that they are very over rated. I use a big fan which is much, much better. I take the C-Breeze to the gym coz it's a bit better than nothing.

Most of the puddles that I produce (whilst rowing anyway) are roughly underneath the foot stretchers, just on the rower's side and a bit more on the left than the right. I am, however, quite asymetrical due to previous major trauma!
Iain

Post by Iain »

Doc RowSlo wrote:
Iain wrote:Alternatively get a C-breeze and the sweat evaporates as quickly as it falls so puddles are pretty small!
I've got a C-Breeze but think that they are very over rated. I use a big fan which is much, much better.
I still get hot and sweat loads and agree that a fan is significantly better, not least because it can be behind me, with just the C-breeze I end up with white lips and cheeks from the salt remaining when rowing without the sweatband on a long hard row. However, on similar days after equivalent low rating 18ks in the airconditioned (but much too warm) gym, without the C-breeze the puddles had joined up one on each side from footplate to the rear of the rail, with the C-breeze just a few spots. In addition, with the C-breeze I had lost 1.3kg and 2.2kg without so the C-breeze seems to have reduced my sweat loss by over 1% of my body mass. I have read that even a 2% dehydration has a significant effect on performance and Pete reckoned that the C-breeze was worth 1S/500m on a longer row.

- Iain
billwright

Post by billwright »

Trish and I use a pedestal fan which we stand just to the left of the flywheel and just out of reach of the handle on the catch. Set on full blast (3), it evaporates most of the perspiration and consequently gives a great cooling effect. Any remaining moisture seems to be gathered up by clothing. Very rarely is there anything other than a few spots on the floor (from the casual flick of the head :lol: ) which is wooden laminate.

Bill :fswink: :fswink:

PS We'll be bringing two of these fans to Madchester. :D

"When the crazy wheel slows down, where will I be? Back where I started!"
plummy

Post by plummy »

Thread resurrection alert!! :shock:

My two headbands are in dire need of replacement as the sweat barrier is disintegrating (as I tend to wring it out at the end of a workout). I e-mailed Halo Headgear in the USA to see if they can still supply product with FS logo on and await a reply.

I know it was 5 years ago but the cost with the FS logo was only about £4.50 each but the Halo (UK) site is selling the basic (non-logo type) for £12.95 - ouch!!

Would anyone else be interested (especially some of the new team members) if we can put a bulk purchase together - assuming we still can.

Go back a couple of pages in this thread for more details on the products if you aren't sure what we are talking about here.
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
plummy

Post by plummy »

I've received an e-mail response from Halo Headgear in the USA with prices - as follows:

"The price including the headband, Sweat Block Seal and a 4 colour logo is $8.65 each Minimum order is 30 pieces. There are no set up charges. Shipping to the UK is about $ 25.00 Please let us know if you would like to place an order."

$8.65 plus about $1.00 each works out at about £6.50 each (half the price of the non-logo UK versions). Obviously the 30 off minimum order may be a stumbling block though so if you want a new one (or a first one), please let me know on this thread.

P.S. Even though you do look a bit of a twonk, they ARE awesome at keeping the sweat out of your eyes
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Wolfmiester
I row on...: Model D with PM5

Post by Wolfmiester »

I think Lee (Doc Rowslow) had quite a few spare, but that was a couple of years ago.
Still might be worth contacting him ...

I'd be up for a couple of new ones. My pink one is worn out ☺️
Wolfie

Age 59 Height 6'4" Weight 93k
Iain

Post by Iain »

I have just started using my last one, so would be interested in a couple more blue ones. I preferred the "tie" style rather than the elasticated. I assume that the price would need P&P adding from the UK receiver to each user (unless close by / due to meet anyway).

Sorry to have been a stranger. Just started on the long (and painful) road back to become compoetitive with the 80+Lightweight female category.

- Iain
strider77
Free Spirit forever

Post by strider77 »

Iain wrote: -Sorry to have been a stranger. Just started on the long (and painful) road back to become compoetitive with the 80+Lightweight female category.

- Iain
Great to hear from you Iain, so we will be competing together then :lol:

As for the sweat bands I need a sweat bath to catch all my sweat :oops:
[b]67 5ft 10ins tall, 80k, proud to be a Free Spirit[/b]
[img]https://tinyurl.com/fsrsigs/fssig-285.png[/img]
Iain

Post by Iain »

Cheers Alan! Me too, I may be much slower, but the one physiological process that seems as effective as ever is my sweat glands!
Seriously, the tie headbands stop the sweat running down my brow, instead it runs down my back. So still the need to mop up, but no stinging eyes or glasses so dirty that I am rowing blind!

- Iain
plummy

Post by plummy »

Lee hasn't got any left so it's a new batch buy.

We need to get to at least 25 confirmed (having 5 spare isn't the end of the world) before this can be moved forward. I would assume blue colour and the tie type. I will ask if they will allow me to buy a mixed batch if some pink ones for the ladies (I'm sure Jill would like a pink one :wink: )

Plummy x 2
Iain x 2
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Rodger
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Post by Rodger »

Will shipping part of the batch to mainland Europe cost extra? If all of it can be done for 10 Euro's per headband, I would take two or three.
M | 48 | 1.78 m | 76 kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

Rodger wrote:Will shipping part of the batch to mainland Europe cost extra? If all of it can be done for 10 Euro's per headband, I would take two or three.
I would imagine that would be do-able. If we hit the minimum order then we can start to work out the logistics and costs of distributing them

Plummy x 2
Iain x 2
Rodger x 2(3)
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Richard couldn't make his mind up; is pink this season's colour? So I made it up for him. :wink:

Plummy x 2
Iain x 2
Rodger x 2(3)
Richard x 2
Jill x 2 ( pink if possible ) Thank you :)
Paul Victory

Post by Paul Victory »

Plummy x 2
Iain x 2
Rodger x 2(3)
Richard x 2
Jill x 2 ( pink if possible )
Paul V x 2
JonT x 1 (Blue)
M 68 6'1" 124kg (May05), 92kg (Feb06), 122kg (Aug10), 95kg (Sep11), 117kg (Jun13), now 98kg
plummy

Post by plummy »

Looks like we can mix the colours within the minimum order quantity - so Jill will be happy that she can have pink ones!!
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
Jill
I row on...: Model E with PM5

Post by Jill »

Only joking about the pink - quite happy to have whatever colour is available. :)
Grobi
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2019

Post by Grobi »

Hi Iain, welcome back! :fswink:

Dave, I'd be interested too as my natural head sweat stopper is somewhat limited :lol: But I'd use it also for cycling, therefore I'd need the pullover version (Halo II) which works with a helmet too. If that doesn't screw up the group order I'd take two of them (blue).
Athletes row, others just play games

Peter

55y, 1,89m, 85kg