Anyone had any SEASON's bests recently?

The forum for general banter about the team.

Moderator: The forum police - (nee naw)

Mike Channin
Super Dedicated and Truly Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM4

Anyone had any SEASON's bests recently?

Post by Mike Channin »

Have created this topic for all those in the same position as me (where all my really good times were set about 18 months ago, and can't get many all time PBs).

This is where you can say you did a good time against your current form.
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

And to get the ball rolling - I managed a season's best for the 60 mins today at 15564. Should really have gone for the sprint finish from a bit further out, but was a bit put off by having been over 180 pulse for over half an hour at this point. Managed to average 175 for the whole hour. :shock:
5'11", 50 - older, slower, greyer, fatter (and needs to update the sig times too)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Surely someone else must be in the same position as me, chasing down previous PBs... :?
Stan
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2016

Post by Stan »

I set a lot of pbs last month. One of the exceptions was 1 hour where I set a seasons best of 14545 compared to a pb of 14561. Hope this stops you feeling lonely on this thread Mike :lol:
pb times
Mike Channin

6k SPB!!

Post by Mike Channin »

Cheers for joining in Stan!

Well, managed another SPB today. Set off for a 6k (which I was supposed to have done yesterday, but was still, er, recovering from Friday night...) and managed to set season's best times all the way from 4k to 6k.

Timed the pacing pretty much to perfection - sitting on 1:49.3. Was confident I'd make it through because the HR was under control (3-4 beats lower) compared to the 5k I did last week, despite being significantly quicker. Wound up towards the end once I'd reached the last 1k, and pulled the average split down to 1:48.9.

Really pleased with this time as it was only 8.1 seconds off my all time PB for 6k, and much better than anything else I've done recently.

Also, has improved my Nonathlon standing slightly...
plummy
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
Friend of the Free Spirits web site 2020
I row on...: Model E with PM4

Post by plummy »

After 4 pb's in 8 days I decided to do a "leisurely" 10k this evening but as usual it got competitive - didn't manage a pb but knocked 7 seconds of my season's best, down to 39:48.5

No way did I have the legs to challenge my pb, that would have been another 12 seconds, still, one for later in the season maybe?
60 yrs old, 76kg, 5' 10"
43Mm metres rowed. Re-setting the bar much lower now. Getting too old for this malarky
Thomas W-P
Best Friend (PayPal Subscriber)
I row on...: Model C with PM3

Re: 6k SPB!!

Post by Thomas W-P »

Mike Channin wrote:Well, managed another SPB today.
Well done. Those sort of times look frightening to me.
51 yrs - A cyclist these days
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Got a season's best for the 250m today while pace testing for the 1 minute PB attempt (which I got, see PB thread).

Managed 1:25.8 split - 42.9 seconds. Still a way off all time PB of 1:23.2 split, but was only pace testing.

Also managed to go from HR 105 to 176 in 40 seconds. :shock: :shock:

(and from 81 to 176 in 60 seconds if I look back into the HR trace just before starting. Looks pretty scary on the HR graph!)
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Another day, and another set of Season's bests.

Was hoping to PB my 10k, but unfortunately the press ups I did yesterday conspired with the 500 crunches to make my lats and stomach muscles ache too much. Having got to half way in well under PB pace, had to have a few wobbles before pulling myself back together and pulling in to the finish at 10k with a big sprint and came in only 6.6 seconds off my all time PB (which was one of my better times anyway).

so SPB 10k - 37:05.7 (1:51.3).
Also SPB at 25mins, 7.5k, 8k, 30mins (8065 - 1:51.6)

Had a fair bit of HR range left, so I reckon I can get this one next time, if I have the sense not to damage myself beforehand...
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Improvements coming so fast now I've given up updating the season's PB's board. Hopefully I'll be updating the All time PB's soon!!!
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

Great job Mike, keep up the good work
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
mash
Stop posting and start rowing!

Seasonal PBs

Post by mash »

Glad to report I managed a seaonal PB last night.

14570 for 60 mins. At the 30 min stage I thought I may beat my all time PB but alas I failed on that count but the fitness levels are getting better.

Mash
38yrs 110kgs 5'8"
PBs:

Season PBs:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

2k in 7:09.8, 2.5k in 8:52.1.

Was to be a 5k in 18mins attempt - was ahead on pacing, but not feeling quite right since big bike ride at weekend, and HR was going high, so cut it short for a 2.5k SPB instead.
ReducingFB
Stop posting and start rowing!

New distance

Post by ReducingFB »

Tried a new distance tonight, which I haven't done before - 6k - managed to get about the 10% mark for the ranking age group, which is now my target to get all my PB's to that level. So new all time best - cos its the first time at 22:48.4

Got to get the 500 and 1000 down a bit - maybe that's an age thing !

RFB
65; 6'-4" 20 stone (aug 2014) - looking forward to a healthy retirement, when I recover the Equitable losses
alistairkbs
True Free Spirit

Post by alistairkbs »

RFB

Looks pretty good for a first go. Not sure there isn't already an athlete there despite the lard.

My ambition is to just get to below the 50th centile for all i.e be better than average at something athletic. Currently in upper 50's

Well done

Alistair
51 yrs
Ht 5'9" (1.75) Wt Jan 2005 22st 4lb. May 2007 16st 10lb.
Thomas W-P

Re: New distance

Post by Thomas W-P »

ReducingFB wrote:Tried a new distance tonight, which I haven't done before - 6k - managed to get about the 10% mark for the ranking age group, which is now my target to get all my PB's to that level. So new all time best - cos its the first time at 22:48.4
My 2000m today got me down to top 12% in 38 year old heavyweight men. I am not used to such heights! I have been shooting for the top 25% so I was quite pleased :)
PSims
True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model D with PM5

.4 ???!!! Gah!

Post by PSims »

Well done Thomas...0.4 of a second - can't believe how close.

You would have done it if you hadn't been wearing that extra heavy T-shirt with the FS logo on the front!!!! :lol:
Paul
OK...Focus...Speed...I am...Speed

Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Well I've just managed to go sub 7 (beat you to it Thomas!) Did a 6:58.2 for 2k, had a break, then pulled in to 14:56.0 for 4k for the CTC (as a starter anyway). Didn't realise how badly stuffed my legs were after the 8 x 500m two days back. Hamstrings and glutes still giving out under high intensity work.
Thomas W-P

Post by Thomas W-P »

Well done. :D I am VERY interested to see how we shape up at BIRC. Shall we enter a team?

My lungs are still screwed. At a (boring and useless) training course today I was suffering from the gentle "brain breaks". Rowing sub 10 seems a long way off at the moment.
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Mate, I _know_ you can do it, and will find it no problem with the support of all the Free Spirits.

But make sure your lungs are better first.

I reckon you're going to be close to your hope of 6:50 by BIRC.

Don't worry...
johnglynn
Dedicated and True Free Spirit
I row on...: Model C with PM5

Post by johnglynn »

When do the teams row (before or after the Open Hwt's ?)
How many members?
What distance (2K each ?)
28, 6'6", 18 Stone - ELM - CTC
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Um, I don't think there is a TEAM race at BIRC, although I better go and check in a moment to make sure. There were 4 person relay team races at the end of the Grand Prix events in 2004/5 which were usually 10 minutes long.

I managed to be part of the winning ladies team at two of the events :oops: Albeit as the foot-strapper and stroke counter. Is great fun strapping young ladies down.. :D :shock:
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Ok - have now checked and stand corrected.

http://www.concept2.co.uk/birc/teams.php

Teams race over a combined 4k - think this'll be a relay format again, although it doesn't say. I'm on for this if anyone else is.

Might be a bit tired if I double enter the 35-39 Hwt and Open Hwt, but the team stuff traditionally is at the end and is worth staying to watch.

If it IS relay format, I can explain the usual tactics etc.
chang chi

Post by chang chi »

:D
Did 4K in 13:09.7 this afternoon.
new pace 1:38.7
For a while I had it down on 1:38.0 8)

"Cool Stuff"

Regards
Mikkel
Mike Channin

Post by Mike Channin »

Managed a 5k in 17:48.9, with 14:16.3 for 4k on the way. Quite pleased with this as I was still a bit stuffed from Sunday's 60 min PB, plus a bit sore from the track day at Castle Combe yesterday. Reckon I may have a bit more there if I can just apply it.